PDA

View Full Version : 45 ball diameter

mainiac
05-01-2009, 09:05 PM
I was wondering what to get for a mold for a 45 t/c hawken. Will be using pillow tick patches,most likely. Also,whats the best load for pure accuracy,when using fff powder? Thanks,

Gerry N.
05-01-2009, 09:55 PM
I was wondering what to get for a mold for a 45 t/c hawken. Will be using pillow tick patches,most likely. Also,whats the best load for pure accuracy,when using fff powder? Thanks,

Start with .440 balls, .015 patch material. I use either 1000 wonder lube or lard. to lube my patches. That said, if you get fifty shooters who have .45 T-C Hawkens in a room and ask what they lube with, you're going to get at least 150 sure-fire formulas guaranteed to be the best on the planet. Several will also cure cancer, the common cold and erectile dysfunction.

As to loads, each and every rifle is an individual and you'll have the fun and enjoyment of finding the load your rifle likes. Don't dismiss 2f out of hand, it may just prove to be the secret to accuracy in your rifle. Try different caps as well. All these variables will make finding that load a pleasure.

For accuracy, I'd start with 40 gr. 3F. Decide on a patch-lube combo and test fire three shot groups in 5 gr. increments. Wen you find a suitable load, write it down and try the whole sequence again with different patch-lube combinations. Then do it with 2F I have both .45 and .50 T-C caplocks and a .50 T-C flintlock. All are different and all have preferred loads.

Have fun,

Gerry N.

Maven
05-01-2009, 09:59 PM
mainiac, T/C .45cal. Hawkens require a .440" RB and ~.015" thick patches, but you can experiment with the latter. The one I had wasn't particularly fussy about patch thickness or powder charge, but I think I'd start at 60grs. (volume) FFFg and work up to 80grs. until you find the accuracy you're seeking.

mainiac
05-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Thanks alot fellers, think i will be looking for a .440 mold.

curator
05-02-2009, 10:02 PM
My T/C .45 muzzle loaders (I have 3) all seem to like the .445 ball (home cast of pure lead) and .015-016 pillow ticking patch. They are a bit more difficult to get started than .440 balls but the accuracy is well worth it. I use a nearly dry pillow ticking patch strip and cut patches at the muzzle. One part Ballistol 5 parts water, soak patch strips, wring out excess then let dry while laying flat. Wipe barrel with slightly damp muslin patch between shots. 65 Grains of Goex FFFg. 5-shot groups that I can cover with a .50 cent piece at 50 yards. Repeatable, reliable, clean shooting and accurate.

mainiac
05-02-2009, 10:17 PM
My T/C .45 muzzle loaders (I have 3) all seem to like the .445 ball (home cast of pure lead) and .015-016 pillow ticking patch. They are a bit more difficult to get started than .440 balls but the accuracy is well worth it. I use a nearly dry pillow ticking patch strip and cut patches at the muzzle. One part Ballistol 5 parts water, soak patch strips, wring out excess then let dry while laying flat. Wipe barrel with slightly damp muslin patch between shots. 65 Grains of Goex FFFg. 5-shot groups that I can cover with a .50 cent piece at 50 yards. Repeatable, reliable, clean shooting and accurate.

thanks for the info.

FL-Flinter
05-02-2009, 10:23 PM
I'd suggest buying a some balls to start, both 0.440" & 0.445" as well as some different thickness patch material and see what your particular rifle likes or doesn't like before you buy a mold. Good info from the others, start around 45-55gr of powder and work your way up from there, most of the .45 T/C's I've worked on liked 65-75gr of 3F for deer hunting loads. The faster 1:48 twist will generally allow for dropping down to 30-35gr for light 50yd paper punching load. As for balls & patches, either the 0.440" ball and a 0.015"-0.020" thick patch or a 0.445" ball and a 0.012"-0.018" thick patch would be starting points.

docone31
05-02-2009, 10:42 PM
I bought a yard of ticking from WalMart. .020. Good stuff, works well.
Lots of patches from a yard.

gnoahhh
05-02-2009, 10:59 PM
I shoot a .45 Vincent rifle, with a Getz barrel. My best accuracy is with a .445 ball and .015" pillow ticking but it is a tight fit getting it started down the bore. Lube of choice when at the range or at a rifle frolic is spit lube. The patch for the next shot is "marinating" in my mouth while loading and firing the first one. When hunting I carry patches pre-lubed with bear grease. On those occasions the charge I start the day with is the .445 ball, with .440's in the shooting bag for a quicker reload if necessary.

50gr. fffG is my target/accuracy load. I hunt with 70gr. fffG. Truth be known, not a heck of a lot of difference.

One other note. I buy pillow ticking by the yard at the local fabric shop. I always wash and dry it before punching out patches. That gets rid of the sizing (starch) that they put in it for some reason. The resulting patches are soft and pliable and seem to load easier. I'm also a little suspicious of that hard sizing in the fabric having an unnecessary polishing effect on the bore.

mainiac
05-03-2009, 08:57 AM
I shoot a .45 Vincent rifle, with a Getz barrel. My best accuracy is with a .445 ball and .015" pillow ticking but it is a tight fit getting it started down the bore. Lube of choice when at the range or at a rifle frolic is spit lube. The patch for the next shot is "marinating" in my mouth while loading and firing the first one. When hunting I carry patches pre-lubed with bear grease. On those occasions the charge I start the day with is the .445 ball, with .440's in the shooting bag for a quicker reload if necessary.

50gr. fffG is my target/accuracy load. I hunt with 70gr. fffG. Truth be known, not a heck of a lot of difference.

One other note. I buy pillow ticking by the yard at the local fabric shop. I always wash and dry it before punching out patches. That gets rid of the sizing (starch) that they put in it for some reason. The resulting patches are soft and pliable and seem to load easier. I'm also a little suspicious of that hard sizing in the fabric having an unnecessary polishing effect on the bore.

I here ya about washing the pillow-ticking, that sizing taste horrible!

Hang Fire
05-03-2009, 10:35 PM

.440" is a good ball to start with in a TC.

Is it a rocklock or a nipple gun? Fffg, what type of powder, holy black or some wannabe synthetic? If a rocklock, you will need real BP for priming and main charge, or, for priming and about 10-15 grains down the snout first, followed by the wannabe powder for remainder of main charge.

mainiac
05-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Cap gun hangfire,,,, only black for me!!!! Got shuetzen,goex and swiss. No more of that fake stuff for me.

Hanshi
05-05-2009, 01:23 PM
I have two .45s and one is about 45 years old. Listen carefully to what all these posts say about using real black powder. You'll never regret using the real stuff.

I use a .440 ball and pillow ticking exclusively and I get one hole groups at 50 yards, too. I used .445 ball early on and for a long time but found it just to difficult to load even with a thin patch. I eventually switched to a .440 ball and am completely satisfied. My guns are for hunting and quick & easy loading is a must for me.

I never wipe between shots and use pre-cut patches for convenience. Spit is about as good a lube as you can use; it's just too easy to run dry. I use Crisco for my first load but DGW's Black Solve for all reloads. This is at the range and while hunting. I am able to shoot all afternoon long without wiping the bore and have no fowling accumulation. The only exception to this lubrication protocol is when the load will be left in the rifle overnight or when the rifle won't be fired for several hours. In that case I use Crisco or some other grease lube. Spit or Black Solve clean the bore each time the gun is loaded so only one shot worth of fowling will ever be in the bore. Avoid using dry patches. They make it difficult to seat the ball plus you will then have to wipe the bore after each shot. This will happen even with .440 ball and a thin patch. your patch should be WET, not just DAMP! If you are worried about powder contamination, put a paper, cloth or wasp nest wad over the powder prior to seating the prb. Hope this helps. :drinks:

mainiac
05-05-2009, 05:18 PM
I use lehigh valley lube in all my smoke guns,exclusively. Top accuracy,and never have loading problems. Only problem i have got,is that i cant find anymore of the lehigh!!!!! Anybody on here got a source?

KCSO
05-05-2009, 09:47 PM
If it is a factory tube .440 would be a good place to start. Just like modern guns slugging the bore is the best bet, than you know just where you stand.

docone31
05-05-2009, 09:53 PM
My wife's .45, I used .440 balls, pillow ticking, and home made lube.
1 beeswax to 1 Olive oil.
It is an effective although slippery lube. I might stiffen it up a bit with some Crisco. Not much, but some.
When it came time to clean out. Simple.