PDA

View Full Version : How many re-loads on 30.06 with CB??

zomby woof
04-30-2009, 09:38 PM
I'm loading 30.06 with CB and 18 grains 2400 at 1550FPS. How many loads can I expect to get out of my HXP brass with this load? CB seem to be very easy on brass.

docone31
04-30-2009, 09:46 PM
Real easy.
If you neck size you should get a lot of reloads.

Nora
04-30-2009, 10:52 PM
I use between 55 and 57.5gr of IMR 4350 with the "other" (168gr Match King) kind of boolit in my '03A3. The norm is 5 to 6 loads a piece from my Win brass. Then most is still in service with the "real" boolits. If all you are going to use it for is cast, like docone31 said, "If you neck size you should get a lot of reloads." Only I would have spelled it "LOT"

Nora

Welcome to the forum

Slow Elk 45/70
05-01-2009, 12:42 AM
Hullo Zomby, and welcome, you came to the right place.

Your 06 cases will last a long time, if you are loading for only one rifle you are well served to neck size after fireing the cases in your rifle once. If you full length size , you are just working the brass for nothing, and you will have to trim it more often. Low pressure CB loads are very easy on brass, as the fellows above have said, a "LOT" is probably an understatment, I quit counting mine at +25. Once you have a good supply of once fired brass, you will be fine for quite a spell.
Good Luck and good casting/shooting.

stubshaft
05-01-2009, 12:45 AM
With the load your shooting Zoomby you should get an unlimited amount of reloads. If the bullet is sized just right you can reload without neck sizing the case. Just deprime, reprime and push bullet into neck. The limiting factor is how long the primer pocket will hold a primer. If you don't think that this is accurate just read the early accounts of Pope and Schoyen and their singleshot exploits.

JIMinPHX
05-01-2009, 12:57 AM
If you load them up lite, you can get about 30 reloads out of them. If you load the snot out of them, then you may only get 3 or 4. It's almost hard to load them up hot enough with cast boolits to not get at least 10 loadings, unless you are really trying to prove the point that you can wreck them faster. Your load is gentle as a breeze for an 06. I'd expect 30 without sweating it if your brass was half way decent to start with.

Recluse
05-01-2009, 02:45 AM
I dunno. I anneal my brass about every fourth to fifth go-around, and I've got brass that I've loaded fairly hot with the j-things that have better than ten to twelve reloads through them.

Not sure about 30-06--I load them up, even with cast boolits, for performance. I save the thirty-caliber plinking for the 30-30. But again, by taking care of the brass, neck-sizing and annealing every few go-arounds, I get a lot of life out of my brass.

:coffee:

legend
05-01-2009, 03:44 AM
i have a bunch of 30-06 brass i have loaded over 25 times with cast,then i stopped counting.....

i keep loads at 1600 or less

trim

anneal

stop worrying about when they will need replaceing

azrednek
05-01-2009, 03:54 AM
Can't vouch for 06 but neck sizing my 30/30 brass and shooting mild loads I lost count. Every now and then if I have trouble chambering I'll full length re-size and trim away the excess. I haven't annealed brass in many years. Kind of nostalgic reloading 30/30 with a Lee Loader.

Tom W.
05-01-2009, 05:41 AM
I load my standard '06 cases with cast and shoot them in my A.I. rechamber....With standard brass cases things do really well, and still get good service from the fireformed brass....Nickle plated is another sad story...

Blammer
05-01-2009, 08:17 PM
so far with a set of 50; 30-06 brass and my cast boolit loads at about 1850 fps I'm up to 12 reloadson the cases and they are ready for more!

JohnH
05-01-2009, 08:47 PM
At those pressures and velocities it'll last long enough to make ya scared of it. Excessive belling is the biggest enemy. Bell no more than is nessicary to get the boolit into the case without shaving it. My rule of thumb on that is the neck should not freely take more than 1/2-3/4 of the gas check.

Larry Gibson
05-01-2009, 09:38 PM
How many firing with a load like that depends more on how much you size and then expand the necks during the loading process. If they are minimally sized to just provide .002-.003" neck tension with the use of a bushing die and annealed every once in a while then they will last longer than you and possibly the barrel.

I've some mixed '06 cases that I've drilled the flash holes out that I've fired many, many times with loads similar to yours and have yet to lose a case. I neck size them with a Redding bushing die.

I have 200 TW68 .223 cases I reloaded with a Lee Target Loader over 50 times. Yes that is right at 10,000 rounds. I had to set the barrel back 1" on the M700V those cases were used in. I am still using the cases but have quit tracking the times fired. When the barrel is shot out this time I will rebarrel and problably get new cases. I think I've got my monies worth out of the surplus cases. BTW; the load that was used in all those 10,000+ shots after about 200 shots of load development was 27.5 gr of old original BLC2, 26.5 gr H335, 26 gr AA2230 or a mix of 10 lbs of similar burning rate ball powders I made up (27 gr). Primers were CCI 450s for the first 5-6,000 and WSRs after (some Fed 205s now and then). 95% of the bullets were Hornady 55 gr SXs. Velocity averaged right at 3200 fps. Accuracy with the SXs was always in the .6-.7"s (10 shot groups) and would maintain that accuracy alll day long.

I have shot a "cat's sneeze" load in my 7.62x39 bolt action just neck sizing and using one case. I quit the test after 50 shots and threw the case in with the others, haven't lost a case to failure yet. I've also shot 3 WW 30-30 cases just neck sizing them with a Redding NS die. and shooting 28 gr of 4895 under a 311041 bullet. I quit after each case had been fired 30 times as I figured 30-30x30 was good enough.......

Only way to know is take a couple cases, the loading gear, go to the range and sit down and shoot, reload, shoot, reload, shoot, reload etc ad nauseum.....as it will get very boring very fast and you will soon discover the answer may not be worth the trouble to find out.

Larry Gibson