PDA

View Full Version : Powder Valley removed primer selections from their web site

Down South
04-30-2009, 01:14 PM
I keep an eye on some of the online sites that sell primers and powder. I noticed today that Powder Valley has removed all primer selections from their web site except for 309’s and muzzle loading stuff. They carried a full listing of primers (although out of stock) up until either yesterday or today.

richbug
04-30-2009, 01:23 PM
That's disconcerting.

par0thead151
04-30-2009, 02:23 PM
just look at hi-tech's web site. its flat out depressing.
big red SOLD OUT on every item!
i wanted more gold dots... guess i get to wait.
do they make 45 cal gold dots? selling just the bullets?

will-mo
04-30-2009, 02:42 PM
Yep, primers are manufactured by the Ammo manufactures (Winchester, Remington, CCI and so on) They get higher profit margins selling ammo vs. components. They can't keep up with the demand of ammo, so they are going to resort to making primers for their ammo. This will continue until the ammo hoarding slows down... I received this data from my buddy at Graf's reloading supplies..

Will

warf73
05-01-2009, 07:09 AM
Off the Powder Valley web site, this should shed some light on the reason for all the primers being removed from the web page.

At this time we are not taking any new backorders for primers that are not listed here. We currently have over 50 million primers on backorder. If you currently have a backorder in place your order will be processed as primers become available. Once we begin receiving more primers from the manufacturers and are able to begin filling current backorders we will update the website.

par0thead151
05-01-2009, 07:47 AM
Off the Powder Valley web site, this should shed some light on the reason for all the primers being removed from the web page.

WOW!
50 million...
thats 50,000,000 primers.
or 821,000 #of lead for 115 grain 9mm boolits!

Dale53
05-01-2009, 10:25 AM
During the Korean war, primers AGAIN (just like in WW II) became unavailable. Vernon Speer started up CCI just to try to meet the demand. Maybe we'll get another company to start up to meet this new demand (I wouldn't hold my breath).

Keep the faith, boys and girls, it WILL get better.

Dale53

archmaker
05-01-2009, 11:05 AM
You know this actually makes good sense. How many of you suppose that a lot of the backorders they have are from people looking to buy the primers and then turn around and sell them for a bigger profit.

I have a backorder sitting there at powder valley for LP at $22 per K.

What do think will happen once the demand starts to let up and you are a company sitting there with 50,000,000 of primers on backorder, you know some are going to be cancelled and if the supply does come back there could be more cancelled orders.

Then you get your request in from the companies and you are sitting on inventory that you can't sell. And it cost money to store stuff.

Also there is the possible physcological (ok I DO have a college degree but it is with numbers not spelling :P ) aspects. It is like if you do not see the product but can't touch it, you want it more. Take the item off the shelves and people eventually do not want it.

But like I said my degree is in accounting not pyschology, and I could be ALL wrong!

But, I agree with Dale53, I believe it will pass, there is truly some stupid buying going on in this area, I read on a post where a guy bought 40k of primers and he did not even reload, "just in case" was his thought.

Hardcast416taylor
05-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Kind of sounds like the "gas shortage" and sky high prices for it BEFORE the elections? Robert:confused:

Shiloh
05-01-2009, 12:25 PM
You know this actually makes good sense. How many of you suppose that a lot of the backorders they have are from people looking to buy the primers and then turn around and sell them for a bigger profit.

Me thinks that those speculators will have to hold them for the long dollar. I thinks when primers become available again, there well be a good supply. Ive been through this under Klinton.

05-01-2009, 12:49 PM
Agreed -- my bet is to hold onto my $$ unless I can find them or backorder them at a decent price. I think you'll find them for sale at well under current price on the grey market once the hoarders run out of money and/or the manufacturers catch up. That said, I placed a backorder just a bit ago because I still felt the price was good. However, I don't expect to receive or need those for long while and am prepared to wait patiently, particularly given the cash involved.

Until then, I'm content reloading shotgun shells, buying dirt cheap CMP ammo, and reloading for bolt actions that don't eat up ammo. And casting lots of bullets with the decreased lead prices.

Josh

Recluse
05-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Then you get your request in from the companies and you are sitting on inventory that you can't sell. And it cost money to store stuff.

I read on a post where a guy bought 40k of primers and he did not even reload, "just in case" was his thought.

Actually, it many cases it doesn't cost any more money to heat and cool an empty warehouse any more than it does to heat and cool a warehouse full of stock/inventory.

Where the costs come in is whether or not a distributor like Powder Valley pays on terms (30/60/90/120 days) or if they pay on delivery. If they have bought and paid for the primers, then they can let them sit in their warehouse till Kingdom Come, er excuse me, . . . until Messiah Obama Come, without any real additional costs other than perhaps inventory/property tax assessment costs.

But if they are paying on terms, and counting on selling say, 100K of primers a week/or month and then churning THAT money back to CCI/Winchester/Federal, et al, then yeah, sitting on inventory that's not selling will cost BIG TIME.

And I agree about the boneheads who don't even freaking reload buying up tens of thousands of primers "just in case."

So help me God, if any one of those boneheads ever approaches me and asks me to teach them to reload. . . . I'll charge them. . . by the brick of primer.

And I'm expensive with boneheads like that.

:coffee:

archmaker
05-01-2009, 04:19 PM
ReCluse I like the way you think!

Maybe I will post on CraigList for reloading lessons.

Now that I think about it nope, dealing with boneheads just ain't worth the aggrevation no matter how much they pay you.

Cheers

Maximilian225
05-01-2009, 05:54 PM
WOW!
50 million...
thats 50,000,000 primers.
or 821,000 #of lead for 115 grain 9mm boolits!

Or 31,450 lbs of Bullseye at 4.4g !

-Max

Ole
05-01-2009, 06:00 PM
I think people hoard primers because they are the cheapest component (for the non caster), the smallest, and the easiest to store.

I only have about 800-1000 small pistol primers, but I have a comfortable amount of everything else. Maybe i'll start using small rifle benchrest primers in my GP100. :mrgreen:

Catshooter
05-01-2009, 10:48 PM
They are also quite difficult/dangerous to make, esp in quantity.

Cat

Nora
05-01-2009, 11:24 PM
And I agree about the boneheads who don't even freaking reload buying up tens of thousands of primers "just in case."

So help me God, if any one of those boneheads ever approaches me and asks me to teach them to reload. . . . I'll charge them. . . by the brick of primer.

And I'm expensive with boneheads like that.

I couldn't agree more about charging the boneheads!! To go along with that thought. I had a small town shop for many years till I moved. One guy wanted me to order him an 870. Told him to go to Wally World, they were on sale for $75 cheaper than I could get them to the door. He said he would only take a new gun and not one that had been sitting out. We argued for a couple of minutes, then told him sure I'd get him one. He was happy with that. So after he left, you guessed it right. I took a copy of my FFL to Wally World talked to the manager and left with an 870, marked it up $95 over what I paid and sold it to him with out even feeling a bit bad. After that we referred to that as a "dumb *ss" fee.

Nora

JIMinPHX
05-02-2009, 04:27 AM
I only have about 800-1000 small pistol primers, but I have a comfortable amount of everything else. Maybe i'll start using small rifle benchrest primers in my GP100. :mrgreen:

If you're long on WLPs, give me a shout. Maybe we can do a swap or something.

jdgabbard
05-02-2009, 05:12 PM
But like I said my degree is in accounting not pyschology, and I could be ALL wrong!

Mine is. I personally think this is much like the trigger that causes people to go to war.

If you think about it war doesn't happen "just because." People fight over something. And that something is resources. Whether it be real, or idealogical. Our species adapted for violence so that we could fight off the predators of the ancient past. And as civilization spread the need to capture lands from others became necessary as more "hungry mouths" were in needing of feeding.

This is the same trigger that caused the primer boom. People see a need for that resource. They realize that the resource is in trouble given the current political climate. And they realize that they must "capture" these resources to feed the "hungry mouths," so to speak.

The fact is until the climate changes, or goes on the back burner, and primer availability goes up there isn't going to be an end to this. Unless it goes on so long that everyone eventually builds up a stockpile so large that they never have to worry about buying again. And I'm sure Fearless Leader will be absolutely thrilled about that.

Wayne Smith
05-02-2009, 07:04 PM
Actually, most wars are not fought over resources. They are attempts to grab or hold on to power. As one with a doctorate in Psychology and a life long history reader it is clear that resources are important to the winning side, seldom does the side with the fewest resources win. Almost without exception it is the politicians (kings, satraps emperors, governors, etc.) that start and maintain wars, not the people.

I see this as akin to any hording behavior. People hoard because they want or because they are afraid or some combination of the two. Most of us are hoarders of firearms. People who buy primers for no reason other than that others want them are hoarders plain and simple.

jdgabbard
05-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Wayne, I sent you a PM, to continue this conversation as it would go a little off topic.

Down South
05-02-2009, 08:47 PM
I’m for sure that hording or panic buying or whatever you want to call it is the problem. I stocked up last summer on what powders and primers that I thought that I would need just in case the election went like it did. I figured that this would happen and it did. I was hoping that things would settle down by years end but I think it may be longer now. I do wish that I had bought a few K of LP. I have plenty SP, SPM, LPM, LR & LRM. I don’t really consider myself as hording due to the fact that I will use everything that I have. Actually I will have to cut back on my plinking and start conserving more of what I have till things lighten up.
It was disappointing to see some of the major retailers stop taking back orders because they are so swamped.

rhead
05-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Yeah they are fought over power. power over rescources.

I wouldn't hold my breath over someone starting a new primer manufactoring plant. Nobody has been able to start a new refinery in over 25 years because of the enviromential impact red tape. Does anyone think that the liberal federal judges will think that more cheap ammo for the peasants is a really good idea?

Heavy lead
05-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Yeah they are fought over power. power over rescources.

I wouldn't hold my breath over someone starting a new primer manufactoring plant. Nobody has been able to start a new refinery in over 25 years because of the enviromential impact red tape. Does anyone think that the liberal federal judges will think that more cheap ammo for the peasants is a really good idea?

Oh so true, the emperor (not just the annointed one, but ALL the feds) are running this country into the economic dirt lead by the "Green" movement.
If we had to warp back in time, it would take us 30 years to get a fricken Liberty ship out. Hitler would have run us over.

shdwlkr
05-02-2009, 10:30 PM
I have a friend that doesn't reload yet that has maybe 5000 primers so does that make him a hoarder because I haven't gotten there yet to teach him? The folks I am mad at are the ones who have purchased 30, 40 50 thousand primers and don't know what it is they even bought.
I have been waiting for some primers to come in so I can buy some so does that make me a potential hoarder because I will most likely buy 5000 primers that will last me a year or two? I just might double my order if the price is really good so I will have 10,000 primers man I am hoarding big time and I am sure I can sell them for maybe what I paid or less as I chose who I sell to and don't sell to. Have even traded with my local shop when I had more then I could use of one kind of primer and made a killing on the trade I got two hundred more primers then I traded. Man I am making it big time now I can reload two hundred more cartridges with my trade.
If you are a greedy SOB and thought this would be a good get rich scheme then I hope the whole thing caves in on you.
I sure hope things settle down this summer but I am not holding my breath on that one and hope I have enough to keep enjoying my sport until things settle down to more normal level and prices aren't through the moon for anything which doesn't seem like we are going to see a break in prices with the New Messiah looking to raise the federal tax on firearms and related items 500%.
It is time to wait, hope and pray that things are not as bad as we thing they maybe.

Heavy lead
05-02-2009, 10:46 PM
This primer envy is out of hand, holy cow. People are either bragging about what they have or mad cause they don't have what the next guy does. Judas Priest guys.

jameslovesjammie
05-03-2009, 12:17 AM
I don't care if a guy has 50,000 primers, as long as he uses them. What I don't appreciate is the people who keep saying that anyone who DOESN'T have that many is unprepared, or didn't have the foresight to stockpile their inventory.

Sorry guys, but some of us just don't have that kind of disposable income. In November, I (like all of us) knew how it was going to come out. But with a three year old and Christmas coming up...I think my money was best spent elsewhere. I'm not complaining...just not shooting as much...and will probably halt all together before Summer's end, just to conserve what I have left. Hunting season is another matter, and I'll start again in early October.

On another thread ON THIS BOARD, a disabled vet was taking about being in the same boat...he just can't drop $100 on a dime to buy primers. Does that make him unprepared, or a noob? No.

I went through this last summer too. Federal primers (my primer of choice) were nowhere to be found. Don't know if it was a regional thing, but they did come back on the shelves. Why didn't I have the foresight to buy 10,000 small pistol primers then? I did. I just can't drop $200 anytime I want. And I don't believe in credit cards.

Sorry to go off tangent, I'm just sick and tired of being called an idiot because I only have 6,000 total primers.

Rant off. Sorry for the tangent.

JesterGrin_1
05-03-2009, 12:25 AM
I am sure I posted this but when I spoke with Powder Valley a few days ago and asked about primers they informed me that they have no date from any company as to when they will get more except WOLF told them June lol.

And Jameslovesjamie I can not see how I typed that lol. But at any rate do not feel too bad. I only have about 5000 primers as well. I did see this on the way but I just do not shoot that much so I got 1 brick of each type of round I shoot and one extra brick for my .44 mag as I tend to shoot that the most. Most of all my shooting is just trying out loads and BOOLITS and hunting. So I do not load many so called plinker rounds.

But if you need powder I know that A Place To Shoot in San Antonio Texas has a good supply at this time. But no primers except shot gun. :)

skeet028
05-03-2009, 01:39 AM
Just went on a jaunt back east and went to one of my wholesale places.While I was there he got 2 pallets of Fed .223 Mil Spec ammo in. Got a case or two. Before I left the 2 pallets were all gone...to back orders mostly. That was 80 cases of 1000 rounds per pallet. Powder in 1 lb cans was almost nonexistent. 8's were ok. The stuff IS being shipped from the factories. Actually got 95M(of 150M ordered) primers LP SP LR SR. When I started to sell them for a NORMAL price one guy wanted to buy them all. He got really fired up when I would only sell him 2M. When he got cussing at me he got none. And told him to leave. He got exactly what he asked for. Sold all those primers in one day..except for the ones I kept for myself(4000) and a friend or 2. I still have a few LRM Win And Fed 215s I got from a person that was on this site. Those are the ones I'll use. Have to work up a load again but I tend to use ball powders anyway and they work better with mag primers quite often. Peronally I think we have a primer and powder problem just because of fear. Fear of the gummit and Nobama. When this shortage happened the last time the manufacturers ramped up and made stuff big time. The wholesalers and the factories got stuck with beaucoup amounts of reloading items. They ain't gonna do it again. If we just hold our breath I think we'll be ok...at least I hope so.:roll: The only way to stop people from hoarding is to restrict the amount of primers (or powder) they can purchase. All the gun shops near me in Wy and Mt are doing just that.:)

rhead
05-03-2009, 06:35 AM
The only way to stop people from hoarding is to restrict the amount of primers (or powder) they can purchase. All the gun shops near me in Wy and Mt are doing just that.

Historically rationing has only caused hoarding or made the situation worse. What is different about this time?

Lloyd Smale
05-03-2009, 07:32 AM
Rationing my stop the horders but it sure hurts a guy like me that shoots alot. I can go through a easy 1000 rounds a week and sometimes double that. Two bricks of primers doesnt go far for me.

shdwlkr
05-03-2009, 10:58 AM
I will just be glad to go in and be able to buy primers again and hope that I can buy a brick at a time. I would rather get all my primers for a year or two at once but don't know if that will happen. My local shop is going nuts with folks getting bent over powder, primers, brass and bullets being not there.
I almost bought a 86 lever but needed them to hold it for a week for me and was told they don't do that anymore so I told them to keep it and it still sits in the rack. Folks don't want them now as it is all black guns or nothing. Personally I don't like the black guns and would most likely never buy one unless it was buy one get one free kind of deal then I might break down and put my money down for one but other wise I have much better rounds in much more useful for me firearms.
I don't see the world coming apart at the seems yet but when and if it does anything will be better then nothing. I see more disasters in the form of natural weather type events then man made ones. Having said that I do see the current makeup of Washington against every freedom loving citizen in this country maybe for ever from this point forward. There is one that is in Washington that feels it is time for America to have a new King and Messiah which he things he is but the fabric is wearing thin and when it rips I wonder what will be left of this nation.

Recluse
05-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Shdwlkr, I hear you 5x5.

Nope, someone who doesn't reload yet who has 5K in primers isn't a hoarder. Someone who has 50K and zero intentions of reloading IS a hoarder and IS part of the problem.

Agree with you about gun shops and black guns and holding guns. There's a new kid at my favorite gun shop and shooting range and he tried showing me some whiz-bang black gun AR something or the other. Told him--politely--that I'd had enough of those things when I was HIS age and wearing a uniform and could care less if I EVER handled one again.

Give me a lever-action 30-30 over an AR 15 any day. ANY DAY. The AR has it's place, sort of, and I've got a few military guns in the safe and if I ever have occasion to have to think about using them for what they were designed and built for. But as a former lawman, I've also seen what a 30-30 slug will do to a human being, and it's far worse than what a .223 will do.

I like wooden guns, not plastic ones. Maybe that's just me. I still prefer six-shooters to (most) semi-autos. I prefer pump shotguns to semi-autos, and I love nothing more than racking the bolt on a good rifle like a Winchester or Remington or Savage or Weatherby or name your favorite brand of long gun.

I'm a purist, I reckon.

And finally, Jameslovesjammie? Well said, my northern friend, very well said. I can't add a single thing to what you wrote.

sheepdog
05-03-2009, 12:05 PM
I heard an interesting thing at a gunshow the other day. Talking about if the SHTF a bunch of guys at a table mentioned "We'll outnumber them by the second day". I wondered who "them" was and how long many days takes before one of "us" becomes one of "them".

The problem isn't the horders, the non-horders, the local shops or the online resellers. See we'll all just slightly different samples of roughly the same beliefs, interests, politics, etc. Sure theirs some differences but for the most part I'd rather be in a foxhole with the lot of you then a pie slice of the humanity at a PETA rally.

So the problem isn't "us", the problem is the government intervention and meddling in something that's was none of their business but to which they butt themselves into just the same. If you're looking for a "them" to blame don't look to your fellow 2nd amendment loving, patriotic slat of the earth neighbors but the federal "do what I say not what I do" bleeding hearts in Washington. Stand up and demand your rights. Maybe take the ******** to court so they can rule that the 2nd clearly covers ammo too (sure our founding fathers didn't intend us to use flintlocks as just clubs). Maybe just election someone thats not a closet socialist. Thats the thing about a bully, if you never stand up to them they never have a reason to consider backing down.

If you want 20k primers and you're not trying to horde them specifically to screw the rest of the community over then by golly I'm fine with that. Better with you friend then in some BATF warehouse.

shdwlkr
05-03-2009, 12:44 PM
Recluse
I had 70 of those black things to keep working and one of my own for seven years long enough for me to have a good idea of what a piece of crap they are. Having said that if you put a 70 grain bullet in a 1 in 6 3/4 twist barrel the whole thing changes very much. Yea I did some sort of research, testing, proving with them decades ago another reason to hate them.
I have seen holes made by the 55, 62 grain now in style bullets and they don't even come close to a 30 caliber, or 45 caliber, or 270 caliber or 50 caliber when you want to stop the baddies. I want to get a m1 carbine and an M1 garand and a m14 civilian flavor more for competition then anything else as they are more fun that way.
As to folks who don't reload having thousands of primers they will never use I can't understand the reason for it but if they think it is a good idea then I guess have at it because I won't buy them from you because if you don't reload how do I know that you didn't keep them in a bucket of water or oil and just dry them off to sell to me.

jdgabbard
05-03-2009, 01:15 PM
On this whole issue, I've just about stop buying stuff. I've got a couple of pounds of powder to pick up, and a 1k Small Pistol Mag Primers and I'll be set for some time. I've cut out my recreational shooting, and no reserve those primers and loaded ammo for actually training and of course my hunting loads, ect.

The only way I can see the problem going away, is if people quit buying primers. Lloyd made the comment above that he can go through a 1000 a week. I'm in no position to be telling anybody what they need to be doing. But unless your a competitor, I think the days of shooting that much are going to have to be put on halt. We need to conserve what we have. And once the guys that buy every primer they see out there realize that there easier to get, (and nobody wants to buy the primer from them for a $100) then they'll stop buying that many. At which point everything will become easier for everyone to get their hands on.

But what do I know.

bbs70
05-03-2009, 07:36 PM
Went to the gun show yesterday looking for primers.
One seller had 3k lp primers, the guy ahead of me got 2k of them, I was able to get the other 1k.
No one else had any lp primers.
The other day I got my boolit mold and Lone Wolf barrel for my Glock and needed sp primers for it.
Of course no one had any at the show.
Well, I shouldn't say that there was one guy who had CCI sp primers, for $55 a thousand.:roll:
Guess he still has them, I don't want them that bad.

I'm like everyone else, I have cut back on my shooting till everything settles down, that is if ever does.

I guess I could always go to the range, point my gun at the target and go BANG.:mrgreen:
Then run down to the target and punch holes in it with a paper punch.
Heck, my shooting accuracy might even improve this way.

shdwlkr
05-03-2009, 08:35 PM
you can go on gunbroker and buy from this guy
5000 CCI Small Rifle Primers Get em while you Can
Auction # 127418343
Please if you are the buyer or seller to see more helpful information.
Bid!

Show description

Current Bid $400.00 No Reserve! Started at $400.00

buy it now for $600.00

Quantity 1

06-03-2009, 04:16 PM
I answered an ad from a guy who said he had Win LPs for sale. So I sez how much for how many? $6/100 or a volume discount of $60/1000. Of course, no tax or shipping/hazmat as it is a FTF.

I told him I wasn't interested at that price. I am fully prepared to wait six months or more to pay half of that for 1000. That may never happen, but I'll be really reluctant to pay more than that if it doesn't.

TRguy
06-03-2009, 04:21 PM
Not to get too local here but Little Hardware in Charlotte NC will put you on the call list as they come in.

I bought 1000 SR Federal lastweek for $31.60 per 1000

:drinks:

skeet028
06-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Did a gun show down in Riverton Wy last of May. took 60M primers..Sold them for 35 bucks per M..and 1 M per customer.. Lasted 20 minutes. Everybody else was selling for 50 bucks per or more. Price gouging just isn't for me. Seems to me that ammo is freeing up a little and the supply of AR's is ok. The only thing that hurts is the prices are up there pretty good. Stopped at Cabela's in Billings yesterday and got a lb of 748 and H-380 yesterday and the price wasn't too bad(19 and 21)..but no primers. Made a couple of good buys at the show. Got a Leupold VXIII 2 1/2x8 for 100 bucks. Almost perfect for my Elk rifle. As far as primers..I think things will loosen up in the near future.. Barring a Nobama move.

mroliver77
06-03-2009, 05:19 PM
I was trying to come up with the words but sheepdog said it for me.
Only thing I can add is if things go the way the whitehouse would like, it dont matter what you got stashed.
J

shdwlkr
06-03-2009, 06:08 PM
just looking for an update here. Has anyone seen primers in any quantity on the shelves yet? or powder for that matter or bullets?
I have a new toy that I want to get to know but since I make my own it takes components to do this and I am not sure that I want to use what I have this way yet. I would really feel better knowing I can replace what I use then use what I have and there being no replacement.

JIMinPHX
06-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Primers & powder show up at the big chain stores around here once in a while, but they get cleaned out fast. One shop here in town has a fair amount of powder on the shelf, but his prices are 50% above what they should be. Even he can't keep primers in stock.

Marlin Hunter
06-03-2009, 10:44 PM
.......Maybe we'll get another company to start up to meet this new demand (I wouldn't hold my breath).

Dale53

I don't think there is very many people left in this country (USA) that can manufacture something. About the only thing people who come out of college can manufacture these days is a 3 line text message on their wireless umbilical cord. I wish the electricity would go out for a couple months to weed out the weeds.

ronterry
06-03-2009, 11:08 PM
haaaaa

Heavy lead
06-03-2009, 11:10 PM
I don't think there is very many people left in this country (USA) that can manufacture something. About the only thing people who come out of college can manufacture these days is a 3 line text message on their wireless umbilical cord. I wish the electricity would go out for a couple months to weed out the weeds.

About the only thing is meth

Bad Water Bill
06-03-2009, 11:59 PM
If we do not get some more electric plants on line soon none of us will have a lite in our home, Congress and the EPA will not permit coal, nuke or hydro plants to be built. How many years will it take the gubermnt to build enough wind farms on mountain tops and solar farms to completely blanket the desert in an attempt to catch up with demands just for battery powered cars? Oops Kalifornia has already said NO farms in the Mohave desert. Has any one ever wonfered what would happen to Kalifornia ( so environmentally correct ) if their water imports were cut off?

PatMarlin
06-04-2009, 12:05 AM
Wait a minute... Obama said Iran has a right to Nuke Power. Don't we have the same right, or is that only for his rag head terrorist buddies?

dwtim
06-04-2009, 12:50 AM
My take is a little different. This is what happens when an industry segment that was about as exciting as a lecture on drying paint suddenly gets a spike in demand. Now there are huge oscillations in inventory all the way up the supply chain. The hand loading industry is officially exciting. Before, hand loaders were reliable business, but no one was really buying private islands off the profit made from selling hand loading equipment and components. I can remember the frustration I felt only a few years back, when I tried to buy reloading equipment locally. They hardly stocked anything because it just didn't sell. Now every shop has loading gear.

I welcome new hand loaders and worshipers of the silver stream, because I want increasing numbers of our kind. The more of us there are, the more enterprising sellers will try to find ways to entice us to open our wallets. I'm hoping this market segment will find a new, higher equilibrium. I like choice. It would be nice if I had a spot-on reliable lead supply that was local and affordable, instead of skimpy amounts of scrap of unknown composition, or a 2-ton palette of lead ingots shipped by freight. It would be nice if I could walk into a shop and buy 8 pounds of Unique, instead of having it shipped with a hazmat fee, and having to wait at home so I can sign for it. It would be nice if I could walk into any local shop, and know for sure that I will be walking out with a box of Federal 150s minutes later.

I'm really hopeful here, folks. I hope that when we come out the other end, we will be a force to be reckoned with, in the marketplace and also the next time some ill-informed politician utters the words "serialization" or "lead ban".

Also: Speaking of primers, I happened to find some, but I only took 1,000, because the total inventory was so small. I hope the next buyers that came along are enjoying their share, too.

Ole
06-04-2009, 01:06 AM
Powder valley is showing winchester WLRM primers in stock as I write this post (10:05pm Wed).

$26/1000 + shipping and Hazmat.

Save some for the next guy if you need some.

JIMinPHX
06-04-2009, 01:07 AM
As far as power goes, I figure that we have to go with nuke for a good long while. We need to use up all that boom juice that's sitting in all those warheads that aren't actually going to get used as warheads.

That aside, this whole green push is being done in a rather loose handed way. Right now there are hundreds of late model earth movers on the block for short cash because in order for contracting companies to qualify for jobs that are paid for by stimulus money, they have to use green equipment. So now, a bunch of big contractors have to ditch their equipment fleets & buy new again. This is a complete waste of money & good equipment. It will put a small spike in the US economy & then send lots of our good equipment overseas for pennies on the dollar. There is just no end to the financial drain this new administration has saddled us with. The rest of the world is having a good ol' belly laugh at our (& our children's) expense. How do we impeach this yo-yo?

Leadsmith
06-04-2009, 09:20 AM
I just checked Powder Valley and the web site says "Out of Stock". Didn't last long, did they?

Glad I had stocked up some last year.

Bob

Down South
06-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Powder valley is showing winchester WLRM primers in stock as I write this post (10:05pm Wed).

That’s a breath of fresh air. Evidently PV just listed the primers even though they show out of stock at present it does mean that they will take back orders on primers listed. Looks like they are starting to catch up at least a little.

Right now they are listing Win LRM, Fed LPM Match & Fed SP for back orders.

theperfessor
06-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Marlin Hunter, Heavy Lead -

Not to hijack this thread but I must challenge the assertion that ALL STUDENTS who come out of college can't manufacture anything (besides meth). I don't know what evidence you have for that but I have direct evidence to the opposite as I work with college students (engineering and manufacturing majors) daily. If you knew of some of the many different projects the students here are engaged in you might rethink your views a bit.

Check out the hammers I have for sale on the site benefit auction area. My boys and girls CAN manufacture things and are ready to go into industry with up-to-date knowledge and training and with a lot of creative ideas for products.

Not to take anybody to task, and I would enjoy a discussion in another venue on this, but I won't let a negative (and mostly wrong) generalization of the quality of ALL college grads stand without challenge.

I have to (and will) stand up proudly and unashamedly for my students whenever necessary. They are this country's future and from where I sit the future looks pretty good in this area...

felix
06-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Prof, do you work for the Rose Institute? If so, you are producing the best engineers that can be had from any undergrad school. My hats are off to you. ... felix

theperfessor
06-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Felix -

Rose has some fine engineers, but no I do not work there. I work for the University of Southern Indiana, the only OTHER state university in Indiana to have an engineering program. Rose is private, and Purdue squealed a lot during the process of getting official permission to offer an undergrad Engineering program. (Purdue is a fine school, but so are we. We are also ABET accredited and have better rates, a lower student /teacher ratio, and all the faculty teach their own classes and usually their own labs. No huge lecture halls with fundamental courses taught by TAs. For most Hoosiers we're a real bargain.)

I used to run, and still teach in, two Technology programs in Engineering Department - Industrial Supervision and Advanced Manufacturing. Both programs include heavy doses of hands-on work in labs, chances to be co-ops in local businesses, and capstone projects dealing with real industrial problems. And in the eight years I ran the program I NEVER had an employer contact me to bitch about the quality of the grads they hired. Until this last year the demand was always greater then our supply, and even now most of my folks are getting jobs.

Sorry to rant a little but I WILL stand up for my folks and I WILL make sure they get what they need to be successful and I WILL chew their butts out if they don't perform.

felix
06-04-2009, 04:22 PM
You'd da' man, Prof. Keep up the GOOD work. ... felix

jdgabbard
06-04-2009, 06:26 PM
Congress and the EPA will not permit coal, nuke or hydro plants to be built.

Incorrect, their making plans to build a Nuke Plant in Oklahoma as we speak. There was a big report on the news about it several months ago. It will power the north east part of the state, and will be operational in like 2020 or something...

Treetop
06-04-2009, 11:35 PM
I think the end of the primer shortage may be in sight, guys. I was performing my twice weekly internet search of the usual suspects last Sunday (May 31) for CCI #34s. When I opened the Powder Valley website, I could hardly believe my eyes, after months and months of fruitless searching, Powder Valley finally had CCI #34s IN STOCK!

I quickly ordered 5K for $29/K + the stupid haz mat charge, and yesterday (June 3) they arrived on my front porch. I plan on loading some Lee 155 gr. and some Lyman 311332s and 311291s for my SAI M1-As and my Garand ASAP. Despite their relatively short OAL, the 311291s function just fine in my semi autos.

Don't give up, check the internet suppliers every few days because evidently primers are starting to trickle in a few at a time. When I checked the Powder Valley site Monday afternoon (June 1), they were already sold out of CCI #34s again...

Marlin Hunter
06-05-2009, 04:51 PM
If we do not get some more electric plants on line soon none of us will have a lite in our home, Congress and the EPA will not permit coal, nuke or hydro plants to be built. How many years will it take the gubermnt to build enough wind farms on mountain tops and solar farms to completely blanket the desert in an attempt to catch up with demands just for battery powered cars? Oops Kalifornia has already said NO farms in the Mohave desert. Has any one ever wonfered what would happen to Kalifornia ( so environmentally correct ) if their water imports were cut off?

If someone could find a way to convert stupidity into electricity, this country would have an unlimited supply (of both :veryconfu).

PatMarlin
06-06-2009, 12:11 AM
...LOL :mrgreen:

Down South
06-06-2009, 12:24 AM
If someone could find a way to convert stupidity into electricity, this country would have an unlimited supply (of both ).
Al Gore is working on it.

rhead
06-06-2009, 05:14 AM
Al Gore is working on it.

Well he has the raw material source taken care of. Does he expect to get smarter as he uses up stupid to make electricity, or does he consider himself an endless supply?

PatMarlin
06-06-2009, 11:08 AM
As frustrating as these times are when you think all hope is lost with our younger generations, there are those who will shine and transcend the Clinton Liberal/MTV Welfare/Gangbang pile of loosers.

HERE is one remarkable example:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/industry/4224763.html

Does my heart good.

theperfessor
06-06-2009, 11:55 AM
PatMarlin -

I love it! Good link - well worth watching. But not real surprising to me, since I work with college kids and know how bright some of them can be.

geargnasher
06-06-2009, 12:38 PM
It's a shame that the bright lights have always allowed themselves to be persecuted and punished for their greatness. Saddens me to think how great men (and women) always have to save everyone else's rotten arses along with their own, but that's the way of things as long as great people are willing (and able) to carry the burden.

Gear

felix
06-06-2009, 01:05 PM
Nah, Gear, it is really good news that some folks will carry our load as intended. Re :Matthew 5:1-16 , Matthew 19:24 ... felix