PDA

View Full Version : Lee micro disk.

Four Fingers of Death
02-25-2006, 06:18 AM
I bought one of these in 1985 and never used it as the competition I was shooting changed the rules and introduced power factor loads about a week after I bought the micro disk, lightweight wadcutter moulds, etc, oh well.

Anyway I now have an old K38 which I have converted to Single action and I am shooting bullseye competition with it. I want to try 2.7 Bullseye (recommended load). The .30 disk throws 2.8Gn. The largest setting on the micro disk is .27cc. What does this relate to in grains?

trooperdan
02-25-2006, 10:22 AM
Mick, the volume measuring density of Bullseye is .10640, according to Lee's manual. That means .10640 CC of Bullseye weights 1 grain so .27 CC should be about 2.54 grains. It is early and I've only had my juice, not my coffee so that might not make as much sense later as ity does to me right now! :)

A load of 2.8 grains SHOULD take a .29792 CC cavity, I cypher. I generally load 2.7 grains of Bullseye in my S&W M52 .38 wad gun but I use 3.2 grains in wheelers.

Dale53
02-25-2006, 11:18 AM
First of all, be sure to check your manuals (plural) and see what the upper and lower limits are
(just basic safety). 2.7 grs of Bullseye has been the standard wadcutter NRA Bullseye load since they went from bows and arrows to guns :razz:. However, if the nearest Lee cavity throws (don't just accept the chart figures, run several cartridges through the reloader and actually weigh the charges) 2.8 grs, you'll probably never know the difference. One tenth grain will probably not make a noticeable difference.

All powder measures tend to throw greater or lesser amounts depending on the amount of vibration, etc. THAT is the reason I suggest that you actually load up several cartridges and after you get things "humming" check weigh several charges to be sure that you have what the measure is dropping during actual reloading.

It would not be a bad idea to load several different loads (separated by .2 of a grain) to see which shoots the best from your auto or revolver.

FWIW
Dale53

Vegas Vince
02-25-2006, 12:29 PM
4fingermick, Lee sells an adjustable charge bar (90792) about $10.00 you can buy then for around $6.00. They adjust from .28 to 1.6 cc. I have never used that light of a load, but I have loaded 9 mm at 3.5 gr. Bullseye. I have had very accurate and consistent loads with that charging bar. It does not work well with large grain powders. Hope this helps.

Vegas Vince

Junior1942
02-25-2006, 12:47 PM
The Lee Adjustable Charge Bar is a jimdandy--however, beware of adjustment differences due to slack in the screw/threaded hole. Always go the same direction with the screw, and the charges thrown will be very close. I use "out." If I want a smaller charge, I adjust for too-small and come "out" for just-right charge.

fecmech
02-25-2006, 04:58 PM
Mick--There is nothing sacred about 2.7 Bullseye but it sure is a good staring point. I did a whole lot of machine rest testing of my K-38 and found that 3.1grs was the best for it. While 2.7 may be the best in your gun I'd let the gun tell you if it is. At 50 yds 12 shot groups averaged 3/4" bigger with 2.7 than 3.1 in my K-38. Nick

oksmle
02-26-2006, 12:23 PM
Mick .... I have found what fecmech said to be true in my K38 also. I started with 2.7 grains, went slowly up to 3.8 grains & finally settled on 3.5 grains @ 850 fps.
It hasn't seen any other load for over ten years now.

oksmle