PDA

View Full Version : What do I buy at the pet store for case cleaner?

sheepdog
04-29-2009, 09:58 PM
I can't remember and and everything i searched for is rather vague

KSpainhour
04-29-2009, 10:16 PM
Hello,
I buy crushed walnut shells. I think they use it in bird or lizard cages. Pet stores also sell corn cob, but it is bigger pieces that normal corn cob, at least what I have found. Both are a lot cheaper than reloading supply houses.

Take Care,
Keith.

mikenbarb
04-29-2009, 10:34 PM
Lizzard litter or crushed walnut shells.

Hang Fire
04-29-2009, 10:36 PM
Crushed walnut shells, just for laughs, tell the pet store what they are for.

Last time I bought a bag, the clerk wanted to know what kind of bird we had, the wife told her a brass tumbler. After explaining, in a couple of minutes, half the PetSmart employees were gathered around, rather fascinated they were being used for that. One guy said he didn't reload, but saved his and all the brass he found for when he did get started. He wound up setting a bag back for himself to take home that night.

beagle
04-29-2009, 10:56 PM
Lizzard Litter (crushed walnut shells) at Wallyworld./beagle

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
04-29-2009, 11:17 PM
I was using Lizard letter but found 50 lb bags in the bird section for $24.99. Both are ground walnut hulls

Recluse
04-30-2009, 12:44 AM
The Petsmarts in our area have birdcage litter that is ground walnut--very good grade of the stuff. A 25 lb bag runs between $20 and $25 and will last a LONG time.

I add about a half-cap of NuFinish car wax and about a half-cap of odorless mineral spirits as well.

Shiny, shiny, shiny, shiny brass.

:coffee:

DLCTEX
04-30-2009, 02:10 AM
Grainger Industrial Supplies has ground corncob for blasting media. About $25 for a 5 gal pail, get the smaller grind. I haven't been able to find anything usable in Petsmart or any other pet store/section in our area.

sheepdog
04-30-2009, 10:46 AM
How does liquid case cleaning compare?

timkelley
04-30-2009, 10:58 AM
Ground Walnut and throw in a couple used dryer sheets to take out the dust.

pdawg_shooter
04-30-2009, 11:02 AM
How does liquid case cleaning compare?

The liquid will clean the case, but it wont polish the case. Tumbling does both.

vernm
04-30-2009, 11:26 AM
These days I am picking up a lot of grundy range brass. I have found the best and fastest method is a combination of liquid and walnut shell tumbling. I use a five quart plastic ice cream pail for the liquid phase. One cup vinegar and cover the brass with hot water. Agitate well and let sit for 30 min. Rinse twice and drain, then put in 1/4 cup Dawn or similar dish washing liquid. Fill the pail with hot water and let sit for another 30 min. Rinse and spread on old towel to dry. That may take several days. But, make sure the inside of the cases are dry. I've found that any carbon or verdigris left after the wash can be scraped off with a finger nail. So they go in the tumbler and come out both clean and shiny in about 1/3 the time required if you don't wash first. This may be a bit too much for some. But if you want clean, shiny brass that is easy to inspect and is easy on your dies, this works for me. You can also sustitute a 10 cent package of Koolade for the vinegar. It provides enough citric acid to do the job too.

vernm
04-30-2009, 11:35 AM
These days I am picking up a lot of grundy range brass. I have found the best and fastest method is a combination of liquid and walnut shell tumbling. I use a five quart plastic ice cream pail for the liquid phase. One cup vinegar and cover the brass with hot water. Agitate well and let sit for 30 min. Rinse twice then put in 1/4 cup Dawn or similar dish washing liquid. Fill the pail with hot water and let sit for another 30 min. Rinse and spread on old towel to dry. That may take several days. But, make sure the inside of the cases are dry. I've found that any carbon or verdigris left after the wash can be scraped off with a finger nail. So they go in the tumbler and come out both clean and shiny in about 1/3 the time required if you don't wash first. This may be a bit too much for some. But if you want clean, shiny brass that is easy to inspect and is easy on your dies, this works for me.