PDA

View Full Version : Range report on the "I think I goofed" Red Dot 38-55 Load

straightshooter1
02-24-2006, 05:16 PM
Finally had a chance to try them out-13 grains of Red Dot, 260 grain .360 gas checked lead flat nose in a Marlin 336 Cowboy.

First of all, I still have all my fingers and the gun still looks the same.

However, the load was very inaccurate in a gun that shoots the same bullets with mild loads of Unique, & moderate loads of 4198 and RX7 very well.

The tip-off that this load may be a problem was that it

1. Unlocked the gun &

2. Starting extraction was a bit difficult.

Very light recoil, moderate report, but obviously too hot.

I will pull them and load them down.

Kind of disappointing as the 13 grains of Red Dot in the Springfield 03 I had with me shot about 1 1/2" at 100 yards with both 173 grain condoms and 190 grain cast.

I appreciate all the responses to my original "I goofed" thread.

Bob

Roudy
02-24-2006, 05:44 PM
Well Straightshooter I think we' ve all done that from time to time. Good thing they proof rifles with overloads isn't it. Could it be that you double charged at least one case? Or maybe you bumped the powder scale and didn't realize it? Guess you could weigh some of the powder charges when you disassemble the rounds.

I'm about to start loading for the 38-55 and may even get to shoot some if the rifle I ordered ever gets here, it's been over three months so far. I've been accumulating other peoples favorite loads and one that I like the best so far uses 11.5 grains of Blue Dot. I think Blue Dot is a step slower burning than Red Dot.

Good luck on your serach for the culprit :-?

redneckdan
02-25-2006, 01:32 AM
blue dot is much slower then red dot.

Maineboy
02-25-2006, 08:47 AM
It looks like you might have been generating quite a bit of pressure. Lyman's 47th reloading handbook shows 8.5 grains of Red Dot as maximum with a 249 grain boolit in the 38-55. A good reloading guide is a necessity.