PDA

View Full Version : C-H Magnum press questions...

madcaster
02-24-2006, 05:16 PM
Are they still being made?
Can one load any cartridge on them?
Silly questions,but I am curious!
Jeff.

quasi
02-24-2006, 07:28 PM
Yes, they are still being made, I have one in my press collection and it is my favorite press, other than Hollywoods. The handloaders digest lists the stroke as 3 1/4", but mine has a 4 1/4" stroke. I asume it is a printing error that they have never corrected.

The longest cartridge I have loaded on mine is .416 Rigby.
Here is the address http://www.ch4d.com/

Richard Lee in his reloading book says this press is 40 to 60 times as strong as it needs to be to reload cartidges, I am sure it is 40 to 60 times stronger than a Lee press. He then goes on to admit that Lee use's this press in their factory for producing something.!

This is the only press that has a solid 1.185 ram, not a tube of 1.125 dia that Lee uses on their cast press, RCBS uses on their ammomaster and a-4. Lee claims their ram on the cclassic cast press is the biggest on any press made, it isn't. The ammo-master of RCBS uses the same dia. tube as Lee's, and the champions is bigger in diameter and solid round stock with a hole drilled in it for primer evacuation.

Writer Dean Grennell recomended this press as stronger, more readily available version of the a-2 RCBS press. Unlike most presses, the handel on this press allows cartridges to be loaded or unloaded from both sides of the press, it is very ergonomic.

I can email you a couple of pictures of my champion beside my a-4 RCBS, which is RCBS'S biggest ,strongest press. It will show you better how the press handle is out of the way on the champion, and in the way on the a-4, and almost all other o press's ever made.

ben1025
02-25-2006, 08:32 AM
Yes, they are still being made, I have one in my press collection and it is my favorite press, other than Hollywoods. The handloaders digest lists the stroke as 3 1/4", but mine has a 4 1/4" stroke. I asume it is a printing error that they have never corrected.

The longest cartridge I have loaded on mine is .416 Rigby.
Here is the address http://www.ch4d.com/

Richard Lee in his reloading book says this press is 40 to 60 times as strong as it needs to be to reload cartidges, I am sure it is 40 to 60 times stronger than a Lee press. He then goes on to admit that Lee use's this press in their factory for producing something.!

This is the only press that has a solid 1.185 ram, not a tube of 1.125 dia that Lee uses on their cast press, RCBS uses on their ammomaster and a-4. Lee claims their ram on the cclassic cast press is the biggest on any press made, it isn't. The ammo-master of RCBS uses the same dia. tube as Lee's, and the champions is bigger in diameter and solid round stock with a hole drilled in it for primer evacuation.

Writer Dean Grennell recomended this press as stronger, more readily available version of the a-2 RCBS press. Unlike most presses, the handel on this press allows cartridges to be loaded or unloaded from both sides of the press, it is very ergonomic.

I can email you a couple of pictures of my champion beside my a-4 RCBS, which is RCBS'S biggest ,strongest press. It will show you better how the press handle is out of the way on the champion, and in the way on the a-4, and almost all other o press's ever made.
quasi: Bought a Herter O press 45+ years ago and it has a solid (except for primer cutout) 1 1/2 inch ram. 3 1/2 inch stroke. I don't think a press could be built sturdier then this one. It must weight a ton. My favorite press is a Forster Coax. Had a Bonanza and replaced it with a Forster. Also have a RCBS. For my camper I have a Lee hand press. The handle works sideways which is more space efficient. They all work just fine. Herter's was to reloader's years ago what Lee is today as far as economy goes. Just got thru loading 3000 223's. Only owned single state presses, but got to thinking Dillon might come in handy to feed my new Ar-15 if I'm to keep up with my grandson shooting it.

Swagerman
02-25-2006, 01:13 PM
:hijack:

Ben1025, here is the Herter's Big-O-Maximum press up close and personal, it has the big a$$ ram that does the job and then some. But what is really neat about the press is the linkage bar system has 1/2" bolt pin that can be changed to another setting to really shorten the ram's stroke to a little over 2 inches.

I hope to yet one day fall into a good deal on a C-H Champion big boy press, it can happen.

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/PB090012.jpg