PDA

View Full Version : Took Mama Front Stuffing!!!!

docone31
04-28-2009, 03:38 PM
We just got back from the range.
All in all, not a bad day.
My wife got to fire the Walker! She had one hang fire. I had #11 caps on it, not the #10s I think it needs. The cap slid down the nipple and got hit sideways. We got her going though.
Her Traditions .45 long barrel/stock, lots of misfires. We did get some off though, and I got a chance to firelap it. Bore nice and clean now.
I think it is the cap channel that has an obstruction. The first try, nada. Several caps later, still Nada. I had to remove the nipple, and put powder in the opening.
Pow! It worked. Several shots later, hang fires, slow fires, and some no fires. I think that is where the issue is.
My .50 Hawken wannabe, Great! We fired both R.E.A.L.s and balls in both. .495 is a little tight in the Hawken, but it prints nicely. She dutifully cut pillow ticking for both rifles. I smeared Clover on the patch, blew the ball and patch out, no more pitting or rust. I made one for the Hawken. Nice clean bore.
People at the range were watching my wife fire the Walker at 100yds! We were pretty much alone there except for someone emptying boxes of .223 and leaving the brass. If I only fired a .223, I would be set.
I did notice at the range though, the common calibers were not there. No 30-30s, no .308s, no 30-06s, no .243s, nothing common. Mostly handloaders loads and rifles. Only a few recovered the fired brass. The range officers loved it.
My own lube is too soft for Floriduh heat. I need to stiffen it with some Crisco. Otherwise, a good day.
The range had plenty of caps, BP/Pyrodex, shotgun primers. No major primers though.
Any thoughts on the misfiring Traditions rifle? I cleaned the nipple, added a cleanout screw, I have not gone into the drum for flash though.
Any thoughts?
I used CCI #11 Magnum caps.

frontier gander
04-28-2009, 05:06 PM
More than likely the nipple. I had a cva that wouldnt fire at all until i changed the nipple out to a Spitfire. Also make sure you're tipping the gun over to the side and smacking it opposite of the lock to shift powder under the nipple.

docone31
04-28-2009, 05:57 PM
Gander,
I am going to look into that. I can drill the nipple as per Spitfire drawings.
I also went to pull the casting. I put the ball puller into the bore, and tried to get it to grab. Nada. I went to the sink to pour water into the bore and it freely ran out of the nipple!
I must have discharged the casting with either my first, or second fffg suplement! No saw it go. I could breathe in and out through the nipple.
Problem solved there.
Meantime, she still feels good on firing the Walker.
A good day.

waksupi
04-28-2009, 07:40 PM
I am wondering if you don't have the dreaded "cement" build up at the breech. That will cause repeated misfires. Get a breech scraper, and make sure it is perfectly clean. If it has a recessed chamber like some commercial rifles, you may have to boil the breech end for quite awhile to get it to clean up. Try shining a light down the bore. If you don't see the breech shining at you, you have fouling build up.

fishhawk
04-28-2009, 07:46 PM
one other thing with the CVA is make sure the nipple isn't set down into the drum to far. had one on my .58 that was almost bottomed out had to shorten up the nipple with a file and has been no problem ever since. steve k

docone31
04-28-2009, 08:25 PM
Two dead on suggestions!
I am going to shorten the nipple, and it had the infamous dreaded cement build up.
I got it used with a ball stuck in the bore after sitting for over a decade.
Got the cement out, and am going to shorten the nipple. It is in deeply. I opened up the hole slightly. It had lots of cement. I could see light through it, but it moved around.
That would explain a lot.
Tanks guys.

docone31
04-28-2009, 10:02 PM
Yeppir, filed down the nipple.
Got good threads, tight fit, mucho shorter. I had suspected that was the issue, or at least one of them. The bolster is a little hard angle type. I also removed the clean out screw, replaced it with a grade 8 truss head allen type. I shortened that also.
I have not checked for feathers on the bolster threads. I did water clean it, and got lots of water from the nipple socket. I sucked water in and out through the socket. Got lots of crud, and much dark water. I relubed it with the patch lube I made.
It is an older rifle, so it does not need browning. It turned brown over the years.

frontier gander
04-28-2009, 11:09 PM
Sounds like you should get a boiling pot of water and just let the breech end soak in it for a half hour or so. Make sure you lube the nipple threads so it comes out easier on your next shooting event.

docone31
04-28-2009, 11:33 PM
On that rifle, a long barrel, long stock, I removed the barrel from the action, submerged it in hot water, let it sit for a bit, then made a plunger with the jag, and pillow ticking. I used that as a plunger. We are talking chunky bit city here!
I got the first misfire to go by filling the bolster with fffg, screwing the cleanout screw back in.
It did good. Wife was scared, but she followed through. Then we had hang fires. Each one shorter than the other.
I think, it was an impulse buy for someone years ago, and they never cleaned it out as a BP firearm. It really cleaned up, and I did lube the threads and the bore with my patch lube. Beeswax and Castor oil with some Crisco. I gotta add more Crisco, the lube is almost watery in "normal" weather here. Works well though. Clean up was a breeze!
The main thing today, my wife walked away actually speaking of the differences between the Walker and her 1911 Race gun. That is a first for her. Firing these today, she was compareing between her Swede G63 and the Hawken. She actually likes the BP rifles. I am working up to a paper cutter Sharps, 1863, someday with her. I have more danged enjoyment with her there. She is that kind of wife at the range! The range officers respect her. Once in a while she coaches a newbie. Women relax around her at the range. Especially when she takes their pistol and makes holes for them. She helps get them off the ground comfortably.
She sure did shake with the Walker though!
She likes it.

northmn
04-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Some rifles with drum and nipple combinations fo not like pyrodex or 777. I have one. It works like it should with BP, does not even print well with phoney powders. Really cannot say why.

Northmn