PDA

View Full Version : Jake's Moly Ceresin Bullet Lube

winelover
04-28-2009, 08:57 AM
Anyone out there using (or have used ) "Jake's Moly Ceresin Bullet Lube"? Looking for any feedback, positive or negative. Casting for pistol / revolver and or carbines, no rifle bullets currently.

Trey45
04-28-2009, 09:02 AM
I have the Jakes 50/50 and have no complaints, sorry I have no info on the Moly Ceresin.

Kraschenbirn
04-28-2009, 09:47 AM
No hands on experience with Jake's "Moly" but have been using Jake's Purple Ceresin and 50/50 for the last year or so. Really like the "Purple" 'cause, once cooled, it's hard enough that boolits don't require any special handling/protection...just drop 'em in the tray until I'm ready to to use 'em.

Bill

04-28-2009, 11:28 AM
I mix half a stick of Jake's 50/50 with one stick of his Purple Ceresin.

RobS
04-28-2009, 12:04 PM
I've used both the purple and moly from jake and found for pistols it is too hard. In the 45 auto I would have leading at the lands of the rifling because the lube wouldn't flow from the lube grooves until about 3/4 to 1" down the barrel. The same story in the 45 colt. For rifles and the 454 casull loads the lube was fine, but since I only have one lubricator I have went with a softer lube to ensure that I can lube all types of bullets. Jakes 50/50 would probably work well although I haven't tried any.

White Label lubes are excellent as well and a tad bit cheaper ($1.65 a stick). Their BAC lube is ok for both lower pressure loads as well as higher pressure rifle loads. I also have used their 50/50 lube and it seems to work all around as well and probably better than the BAC on the lower pressure loads.

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/

White label personel is very good and great people to work with.

Rob

winelover
04-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Rob: I'm looking to replace a 50-50 lube because of storage issues. Will BAC allow me to size and lube and just dump into a container without the lube migrating?

357maximum
04-28-2009, 01:43 PM
Rob: I'm looking to replace a 50-50 lube because of storage issues. Will BAC allow me to size and lube and just dump into a container without the lube migrating?

Not Rob, but here is my $.03 ... In our climate BAC will do what you want as long as your man cave/ storage area does not get exceedingly stoopid hot. If you store your boolits where it is hot I would suggest the Carnauba Red lube that Glenn sells instead...it does require some heat to flow though....well worth the effort for loong term warm storage. Both lubes (BAC & C-RED) do a right fine job and Glenn is one of the nicest fellas I have dealt with.....No I am not affilliated with him...just a very satisfied customer. His link is at the bottom of this page.

Seeing as how you are stuck in Detroit..(sympathy for you).... :) ....I will send you a free stick of carnauba red to try...call it my good deed for the day eh! If you want the free stick of C-red..please PM me your addy and i will get it to you when I get back home from shroomin in the northern part of the LP in the beginning of next week sometime.

Michael

http://www.lsstuff.com/index.html

hotwheelz
04-28-2009, 02:48 PM
I have been running Jakes moly for several years now and it works great for me from 9mm to 30-06. You will need some heat source to get it to flow and storage is not a problem for mine i have some that I cast 2 years ago sitting in boxes in the shop ready togo

RobS
04-28-2009, 10:14 PM
As mentioned White Labels BAC will work if not too hot and carnauba red will not migrate but in my experience Red was too stiff for 45 acp loads. 2500 lube may fit the ticket for your needs although I haven't tried it. I have both BAC and 50/50 and liked the BAC, but will probably stick with the 50/50 as long has it works in my rifles as I think it works better in the lower pressure pistol loads.

When I was having issues with 45 acp loads leading at the lands of my barrels I researched the web to determine what was my issues. I read an article about hard vs soft lubes and there is reasons why hard lubes do not work as well on low pressure rounds i.e. 45 acp etc. I too was once more concerned about the mess of lube migration until I tested different types and found that the softer lubes out performed the hard ones especially in the lower pressure cartridges.

This article is a very good read that will give you more of an idea about what is really going on down your barrel. I will deal with the mess of softer lubes in order to not have to clean the lead from my barrels.

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellLubeCastBullets.htm

Rob

runfiverun
04-28-2009, 11:16 PM
it ain't cause the lube is hard, it is because of it's contents.
i have used the jakes purple it's fine. i have also used it to firm up the carnuba red and make brown. about a quarter stick of the purple will firm up 2 sticks of the red to a nice consistency.

RobS
04-28-2009, 11:38 PM
runfiverun:
What are you shooting caliber wise.

winelover
04-29-2009, 07:44 AM
RUNFIVERUN:

I would like to know what calibers you are loading for?

runfiverun
04-29-2009, 08:25 PM
the usual suspects.
30,32,9,38, 375,41, 44, 45 both 454.
and in rifles the 7,30 31,32,358,375.
x's the amounts by several.
i use a different lube for rifles though. mainly because i try to push them as fast as possible.

mtgrs737
04-29-2009, 09:40 PM
I use Lar's BAC lube with a 3/8" slice of Carnuba Red melted in with each stick of BAC. I then pour it into my lubers using the cut off top of 2 liter pop bottle as a funnel. Mixing the lube this way creates a skin on the lube that help keep it from tracking and migrating to other parts of the bullet. It still lubes well in low pressure loads like 38spl. and 45acp, but you may need a little heat if it does not flow easy. Of course for low pressure loads you could just tumble lube your bullets with Lar's liquid Xlox or Lee Liquid Alox after sizing or not sizing first depending on the bullet diameter.

pdawg_shooter
05-01-2009, 04:53 PM
I paper patch so most any soft lube will work. The only on I buy now is BAC, works for PP rifle bullets and bare handgun too. Best lube going for my needs!

azrednek
05-02-2009, 02:36 AM
I've used Jake's moly and red and I'm totally satisfied with both. The moly and red needs heat to install but well worth the extra effort. The red seems to take a bit more heat to flow but the big payoff is less smoke and waxy residue on my pistols at the range. What I like best about Jake's lube is the price and the quality is as good as any of the name brands.