PDA

View Full Version : Lee 410-195-SWC

264 Win Mag
04-27-2009, 05:47 PM
Gentlemen,

I have been slowly collecting the equipment necessary to cast my own bullets and was looking for some feedback regarding the Lee 410-195-SWC mold. I figured I should start small with a 2 cavity inexpensive mold so I don’t trash an expensive mold while I am learning. Anybody using this mold and have any suggestions or feedback about it? Any help is appreciated.

Thomas

JudgeBAC
04-27-2009, 05:50 PM
This mold produces reasonably accurate boolits for my .41 mag. Try 8 gr. of Unique and you should have a winning combination.

Leftoverdj
04-27-2009, 10:26 PM
Never buy a Lee two cavity when a six cavity is available. The six cavities are only double the price if you have handles and are five times as good without even counting the increased production. I've ruined several Lee one and two cavities but never a six cavity, and I've done a pile of casting with them.

264 Win Mag
04-28-2009, 05:36 PM
Never buy a Lee two cavity when a six cavity is available. The six cavities are only double the price if you have handles and are five times as good without even counting the increased production. I've ruined several Lee one and two cavities but never a six cavity, and I've done a pile of casting with them.

I have a really nice 6 cavity from a group buy but at $19, with handles, the Lee 410-195-SWC was perfect bait for a new caster to try and ruin. If I get it right then I will have some nice plinking boolits for my Blackhawk.

Thomas

theperfessor
04-28-2009, 06:13 PM
The Lee bullet you mentioned works pretty good out of my 4" M57. Not quite as good as a couple other bullets I have in the 220 gr weight range, but its OK and maybe I just haven't hit the right combination yet. When I got my 2 hole Lee I didn't have any other .41 molds and I thought like you - $20 for mold + handles was worth a try.

If you sit the bottom of the mold down on a flat surface when you close it (gently) you can prevent a lot of premature wear on a Lee 1 or 2-holer. I got to doing that and now I do it with all my molds, Lee, Lyman, Saeco, home-made, aluminum, steel, brass, etc. Prevents a lot of wear on the alignment pin contact surfaces.