PDA

View Full Version : Lead - Best way?

captain-03
04-26-2009, 10:50 PM
A friend of mine turned me onto a "lead deposit" today!! A 3,000lb block of pure lead. It was on its way to a foundry and involved in a trucking accident. The foundry would not take it .... it was given away ...... The buddy and I went out today to try to get some of it. We tried an industrial drill in order to bore some holes so we could start breaking it open with wedges. Broke a couple 1" bits!!
Using sledges and wedges we were only able to break away about 60lbs before we just gave up. Too much work!!

The piece is about 18" thick. I would really like to just build a fire around it and let it just melt out, but that is not an option due to its present location (very close to a trailer and in town). Any suggestions on how to cut this thing up? Any ideas??

Superfly
04-26-2009, 11:02 PM
chain saw works great

thenaaks
04-26-2009, 11:12 PM
i know this sounds crazy, but how about a chainsaw?
last fall i cut down a tree that my brother and i had been tacking targets to for over 10 years. that oak was full of lead. after cutting it into 12" lengths for splitting, i notice all the bullets that had been sliced by the saw. i never even noticed when i was cutting the stuff. i think that a sharp chain with a little extra lube and low-ish speed would slice right through that hunk o' lead. the worst that will happen is it will gunk up your chain a bit. worth trying for 3000 lbs of free lead!

thenaaks
04-26-2009, 11:14 PM
dang...superfly beat me to it
next time i won't let the dogs out mid-post :)

leadman
04-26-2009, 11:21 PM
Do you have a friendly wrecker driver in the area. He may haul it cheap if he can do it when he is not otherwise busy. Get it to a place you can work on it easier.

hammerhead357
04-27-2009, 01:30 AM
+1 for what leadman said. Then look at the MOAS here on the cast boolit site and either build one or have it built. Then ask the wrecker driver to come back out and place the block into the pot and then have lots of time and do it right only once.....Wes

Echo
04-27-2009, 03:22 AM
I've heard of using a weed-burner from HF to melt off a corner or whatever - let it run out on the ground, pick it up, put it away, melt off another corner, ad infinitum...

Bigjohn
04-27-2009, 03:43 AM
Darn it! Why don't these accidents happen right next to our driveways? It would be so much easier to cart it home piece by piece then. :mrgreen:

But the chainsaw idea sounds very good to me. Lead is soft enough to cut with that type of saw blade. You might want a yard vac to pick up the swaff.

John

Slow Elk 45/70
04-27-2009, 03:52 AM
Man oh man get the chain saws going !!! Or a wrecker to move it, then the chain saws like the man said. Wow 3,000#:mrgreen:

garandsrus
04-27-2009, 10:52 AM
Captain,

How did pure lead "Broke a couple 1" bits"? That shouldn't happen...

John

Wilburt
04-27-2009, 12:23 PM
chain saw sounds like a good option.... But were a mask rated for lead. I'm sure that saw will kick up plenty of dust

Maximilian225
04-27-2009, 04:05 PM
Captain,

How did pure lead "Broke a couple 1" bits"? That shouldn't happen...

John

Lead really grabs drill bits. There is no warning gets kinda plasticized acting as it heats up, then snap! You have to back the bit out often. Kerosene or a very light oil helps too.

-Max

sheepdog
04-27-2009, 04:33 PM
On something that big might try using a car jack to raise it up, put a axe wedge under it then lower it using its own weight to sheer it. Rinse and repeat. Slow? Yes. But less little lead on the ground and in the air instead of in your pot.

briang
04-27-2009, 04:38 PM
If it were me, I'd melt it with a HF weed burner as suggested above. I only paid $10 for mine.

chain saw sounds like a good option.... But were a mask rated for lead. I'm sure that saw will kick up plenty of dust

A chainsaw should just throw chips, not dust. I'd wear a mask anyway.

Daniel964
04-27-2009, 05:16 PM
What about a Sawsall.

Maximilian225
04-27-2009, 06:28 PM
Doesn't really apply to this big block, but the way you cut it on a metal bandsaw is to cut a piece of wood with it. The wood cleans the lead out of the blade, and keeps the blade from binding and breaking.
As others have suggested. I believe the chainsaw will be your best bet.

:lovebooli

largom
04-27-2009, 10:01 PM
A case of beer to a local wrecker driver. Get it home then use chain saw or weed burner. Important thing is get it home!
Larry

hornsurgeon
04-27-2009, 10:22 PM
perhaps a portable sawmill? the band saw type set up on a trailer.

Fatman
04-28-2009, 11:22 AM
Man I'd jack up two sides of that block get a couple of big kettles underneath and use a blow torch to melt it into the pans. You could at least get it into two pieces this way or just get a bunch of ingot pans you could do cleaning later. I sure as heck wouldn't give up on it.

Fatman

snaggdit
04-28-2009, 11:30 AM
Sawsall will not work. The teeth fill with lead and since much of the blade doesn't exit from the chunk to drop chips it just gets warm and sticks in the cut. Especially 18" thick. Do they even sell blades that long? +1 on the chainsaw.

walltube
04-28-2009, 11:35 AM
Look in the "Yellow Pages" for a vehicle recovery service that has a 'skid truck'. Easy on-easy off.

Boolit casters are a resourceful, innovative bunch; are we not? :)

Y.T. ,

Wt.

Sensai
04-28-2009, 01:01 PM
Oxy-acetalene cutting torch ?? It's what I use to make little pieces out of 1/2" sheet. Just keep a pot in the drip path.

ghh3rd
04-28-2009, 01:09 PM
I'd at least get a small blow torch that uses Mapp gas and start a small river of lead. What spills to the ground will be much easier to fold up and put into a pickup truck bed, etc.

I found a nice chunk on the road once - about a foot long, 2-3" thick, perhaps 6-8" wide. It was 33 lbs. I can just imagine what a 3,000 chunk must look like! Lets see, I'm in Florida -- exactly where in Mississippi did you say that chunk is laying?

Sensai
04-28-2009, 01:13 PM
One quick note of caution: Remember that if you use a torch, you'll be increasing the possibility of boiling a portion of the lead. Make SURE that your not inhaling the fumes.

ghh3rd
04-28-2009, 01:26 PM
Good point!