PDA

View Full Version : Another Great Find...

jdgabbard
04-26-2009, 06:29 PM
Well, been off doing the weekend warrior thing. And while I was at drill I got a pleasant surprise from one of the soldiers in my unit. He brought in a box that had a paper sack in it. Inside the paper sack was about 50+ lbs of brass. Mostly 9mm, but there is quite a bit of 40, 45, 223, 257 Roberts, and 308 in there too. At first I was shocked, then I asked where he got it. And he kindly reminded me that he runs a range for the local PD.

At that point he kindly asked me to bring him some 45 loads when I get time. Guess I gotta buy a die set and a mold!!!

:drinks::drinks::drinks::drinks:

RayinNH
04-26-2009, 07:01 PM
Jd, as long as your buying a die set and mould, you might as well pick up a gun at the same time . It will save you a little gas.[smilie=1:...Ray

jdgabbard
04-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Bah... Not really in the market for a new one with the way people are jackin' up the prices. They can keep 'em for that price. Although, I have been thinking about trading the same guy for a 1911A1... Maybe when I make good on our ammo we'll talk more about it...

Trey45
04-26-2009, 07:54 PM
If you're going to load for his pistol, see if you can get the barrel from his gun to fit the cartridges to. Don't let a kindness turn into an expensive mistake!

jdgabbard
04-26-2009, 08:24 PM
If you're going to load for his pistol, see if you can get the barrel from his gun to fit the cartridges to. Don't let a kindness turn into an expensive mistake!

Do you see something wrong with just going .001 over the standard bore size, and if he has leading increase it???

He is probably not going to be willing to part with his barrel for too long, and I live a few hours away from him.

garandsrus
04-26-2009, 09:17 PM
jdgabbard,

You should probably get a case gauge to make sure that the rounds will fit his barrel. .001 over bore is probably fine.

John

geargnasher
04-26-2009, 11:04 PM
Use #12 from Gear's Gun Rules: If you aquire more than 2,000 rounds of brass in a particular caliber your are required to either purchase a gun, dies, mould and accessories in that caliber or trade said brass for goodies in a caliber you do have within 90 days :kidding:

Gear

leadman
04-26-2009, 11:18 PM
I built a Custom Mauser once cuz' I got a deal on a set of 6.5-06 dies.

jdgabbard
04-27-2009, 12:18 AM
Use #12 from Gear's Gun Rules: If you aquire more than 2,000 rounds of brass in a particular caliber your are required to either purchase a gun, dies, mould and accessories in that caliber or trade said brass for goodies in a caliber you do have within 90 days :kidding:

Gear

LMAO. You know, thats not far from the truth. And don't fret. I have pretty much already decided on a home for the brass I can't use. I plan on taking care of a couple other handloaders.

My old boss will get the .357sig, a member from here who lives close will get the .40, the 9mm and the rifle brass will stay with me (unless I don't load for it, ie 257 roberts), odds and ends just depend on what it is.

However if I come up with any substantial amount of brass that for some reason or another someone doesn't want or need, I'll be sure to post it in the swappin' section.

snaggdit
04-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Jd, as long as your buying a die set and mould, you might as well pick up a gun at the same time . It will save you a little gas.[smilie=1:...Ray

+1. Save yourself time, just get the gun... I had to get me a 45 a few months ago. I was casting and reloading for a few friends, so why not get the gun, too? BTW, I got a Hi-Point and for around $150 and several weeks wait it turned out to be a decent gun. It is not a small or light gun by any means but it is fairly accurate and functions flawlessly withy a variety of cast (SWC, RF, Round).

And now I am casting for a friend who loads .357. I picked up the dies just because. Now my brother gives me 10 boxes of spent brass. What is a guy to do? I have begun to look for a nice wheelgun.

Trey45
04-27-2009, 10:48 AM
jdgabbard,

You should probably get a case gauge to make sure that the rounds will fit his barrel. .001 over bore is probably fine.

John

+1 here. If the barrel isn't available. Just a a side note, when you do see your buddy and you have your ammo for him, fit one in his barrel just to be certain.

jdgabbard
04-27-2009, 06:26 PM
+1 here. If the barrel isn't available. Just a a side note, when you do see your buddy and you have your ammo for him, fit one in his barrel just to be certain.

Thats what I'm thinking.

Btw, went down to look for a set of dies and a mold today. Found a good mold for him....couldn't find dies.

:groner: