PDA

View Full Version : Storing your primers?

gcollins
04-26-2009, 08:47 AM
Howdy Folks,
As some of you all know, I have been realoading for many years! I thought now was a good time to get some opiton's on how you all think the best way to store primers! Primers see to be like gold know days. And I have stored primers in all kinds of ways!! I been reloading 32 years, and still have a few primers from when I first started, and these have been left out in the shop's (I have moved a few times) left in the open air, from 0 degrees to 100 degrees! I have stored in army ammo cans with and without descent bags What do you think???:castmine:
Also can a descent bag that has been out in the air, be put back to a good quailty, or do they go bad? Wanted to mention, those OLd, old primers, i loaded some off them the other day, and they shot fine!
I would like to hear from you guys, and your opition's!
Thanks ACE

schutzen
04-26-2009, 09:27 AM
Most desiccant bags/containers can be reactivated by baking on an oven at 140-150 degrees F for 2 hours.

I don't know about the primers, mine never stay on the shelf more than a year or two.

anachronism
04-26-2009, 09:27 AM
My method is pretty basic, and probably the same as most peoples. Ammo cans, with dissicant. I mark the outside of the can with it's exact contents so I don't have to open them to look for exactly what I want.

Dissicants can be "re" dried in a food dehydrator, or at a very low oven setting. I do it all the time since I get dissicant bags from work. I just dry them for a few days in my dehydrator & use them. Extras are stored in an ammo can too, since a lot of zip lock bags seem to leak minute amounts of air over time.

I also write the purchase date on the primer boxes, so I use the oldest ones up first.

cajun shooter
04-26-2009, 09:38 AM
You must be one of those persons who bought a 100,000,000 primers so that the rest us can no longer reload. There is not too many people these days who can even find primers much less worry about storage. I too am a reloader and caster from 1971 and the most I ever bought at one time was 5000 of any size. M9oved as you did and stored in home, garage, ammo cans and never had a problem. Due to the current primer shortage I found 500 old cci large pistol primers that I was saving because of box. I will now use these without problem to load my ammo. The reason I never purchased more was two fold. I don't panic buy because of rumor and I never had the extra cash. Just common working folk. Your primers will fire as long as they don't come into contact with the liquids on this planet.

missionary5155
04-26-2009, 09:42 AM
Good morning
Ammo cans and I do not add anything else. My basement always runs a De-humidifier so humidity is low when I pack my ammo cans for 3 year storage. NEVER had any problen. Some of my shotgun primers are now 20 years old.
Mike in Peru

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
04-26-2009, 09:53 AM
I am using old upright freezers with gunsafe dehumidifiers. I have 3 and my wife says if the shop ever catches on fire there will be a giant mushroom cloud

NSP64
04-26-2009, 09:54 AM
sitting on the shelf. never had a FTF because of a primer(forgot powder a few times[smilie=1:) I don't stockpile, I usually keep 1000 of each on hand, buy another 1000 when I get to 500.

Tom Herman
04-26-2009, 10:11 AM
[QUOTE=schutzen;555236]Most desiccant bags/containers can be reactivated by baking on an oven at 140-150 degrees F for 2 hours.QUOTE]

There are two types commonly found: One is a dehydrated silica gel, the other is a clay type. Most of what I have is the clay type, and I believe they all are reactivated by heating to just over 200 degrees, and holding there for 8-16 hours.

I've not stored my primers particularly well: They have thermally cycled from -30 degrees to +80 in varying humidity. Some are 20+ years old, and I've had zero FTF.
All primers are now stored in ammo cans. I will drop a large bag of desiccant (1 pound) in with them.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Boerrancher
04-26-2009, 10:17 AM
I started storing mine in ammo cans just like dad did his once I started reloading and shooting more components than he was willing to foot the bill for. I am still shooting on some Large Pistol and Large Rifle that I bought over 20 years ago. It was last summer/fall that I helped dad reload and shoot the rest of the Herter's large rifle primers that he bought in the late 50's or early 60's. These had been stored in an ammo can for a minimum of 45 years and every one of them went bang. I wish I could say the same for the Remington small rifle primers I bought a couple of years ago. I am running about a 25% failure rate. I contacted Remington and they didn't seem to care so I don't care to ever buy anything Remington again. They tried to blame me or the gun. I have this problem in all my rifles with those primers, and don't have it with Winchester, Wolf, Federal, or CCI, so you tell me.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

gcollins
04-26-2009, 10:21 AM
I want to thank everyone for the comments! Seems we all store about the same way.

cajun shooter, I didn't buy up a 100,000 primers, in 1985-86, when they were pushing the Bradley Bill, I bought up what i could at $10.50 per K, because I was looking a head, and when the bill past primers went to $24.00 per K, I stopped shooting everthing except shotgun and 22's in 1986 untill 2006. If you would of ask me in 1985 if I would pay $24.00 per K, I would of said you are nuts! A month ago, at a Gun show, one guy wanted $50.00 per K!! there was a dealer that wasn't trying to get rich, and I bought 5000, I make $224.00 take home a week!
But I am the type of person, that thinks no meal is worth over $7.00! In the early 1980's when I was shooting Registered Skeet and practicing 3 times a week, I would go out to the range when no one was there, and pick up used Wads, if they had all the wings, I used them for practice!!
Plain and simple, I am Tight!!!
And I am sorry if I upset you, that I have some primers! All I am shooting now is 22's.

Again Thanks everyone!
Greg

BD
04-26-2009, 10:53 AM
All the primers I ever bought came in pretty nifty boxes right from the factory. I store mine on the shelf. The full cases are in an old suitcase in the cupboard above the shelf.

I always felt that primers would be safer in a fire if they were stored in the original packaging. Putting them in an ammo can seems like it might increase the explosive force.

BD

bigdog454
04-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Shot up some herters primers that I bought in the late 60's last fall, about 300, stored on a shelf in an unheated un-attached garage. I would turn the heat on when I had a project out there, about 3 or 4 times a month. NW Ohio, humid and cold in the winter, hot and muggy in the summer. all went bang.

nscob
04-26-2009, 12:08 PM
What should it matter if a person wants 10 million primers(choice) or 100 primers(choice).If a person wants then get them and why should others be envious of it. I think we all live under the assumption that this is America.Land of the Free.If you live in Ca. you Stockpile when possible.Dont we ALL bitch when someone (govt) wants to limit our choice of guns,

tonyb
04-26-2009, 12:14 PM
Mine are in a cardboard box in the cabnet in an outbuilding for 15+ years, still like the day I bought them. Loaded some last week all went bang.

Trey45
04-26-2009, 12:24 PM
My Primers are in a cabinet in my garage, detached, unheated, uncooled, gets humid in there too. All go bang, every time. That's my reloading center, all my presses and powder is out there, along with my lead work area.

Maximilian225
04-26-2009, 12:38 PM
You must be one of those persons who bought a 100,000,000 primers so that the rest us can no longer reload. There is not too many people these days who can even find primers much less worry about storage.

This kind of attitude adds absolutely nothing to the discussion, other than to make the poster feel guilty for asking a question. :(

I store all my primers in ammo cans. The only time I have had any trouble I was loading some rifle rounds and had to abandon right after priming. I put them in a zip lock bag, and left them in the back room of a garage for about 5 days. During this time it rained almost continuously. When I went back to load them up the bag was open and the primers had been exposed, for how long I do not know. I loaded them anyway. When I tested them I had several hang fires, and one squib that I had to drive back out.

The rest of the primers from that lot have performed fine. I am guessing they drew moisture from all the high humidity, but one instance of failure does not constitute a sample.

:drinks:

-Max

anachronism
04-26-2009, 02:22 PM
You must be one of those persons who bought a 100,000,000 primers so that the rest us can no longer reload. There is not too many people these days who can even find primers much less worry about storage.

I suffered through the last primer famine. I didn't get to shoot for a couple of months because of it. Since then, I made certain I bought a couple of thousand primers at every gunshow I attended, then stored them properly. This is commonly referred to as "planning ahead". Not to be confused with "reactionary panic buying". I am damn sorry you can't find the 100-200 lousy primers you want to get by this week because I bought a few thousand extra 5 years ago. The accusative tone of some of these posts is getting damn annoying.

shooterg
04-26-2009, 02:50 PM
The large (20mm ?) cans will handle several 5000 primer cartons in their original packing. The ones I'm shooting now I had labeled "1994 Greensboro", year and gun show I bought 'em at, $55/5000 I believe at the time. I bought many more at $90/5000 a year or so back. I have "loaned" some(to be repaid in kind later !) to known "good guys" who ran short, but in general I believe in the old parable about storing up in the good years in preparation fo the lean ones. And I won't even loan any to someone with a you-know-who bumper sticker.

Ron B.
04-26-2009, 03:40 PM
gcollins,
Too bad your post has become somewhat of a "whinnin board". :)

I store my primers high and dry.

What I mean is, my reloading area (a nook in the garage) the walls are lined with shelves 18inches as so down from the ceiling. My primers, and powders go there; staring at me constantly. :) It's a good thing; as I can see exactly my supply, (less my supply in a mechanics roll-around). I also have a smoke detector mounted near by. Here, in the mountains of S. Colorado we don't have the humidity to contend with as other areas of the country do. So. that is a plus.

Good banging! (at least, those prepared too.) :Fire::Fire::Fire:
GRB

rhead
04-26-2009, 03:55 PM
+1 Anachronism and shootereg!!!!!
I to hate it that some people slept through "The ants and the Grasshopper" (the old version not the PC crap put out by Disney.) Also "The Little Red Hen". Makes you wonder if some of them wait until they are hungry before deciding what to fix for supper or maybe until they are about to pee their pants before starting for the John.
For everyone who failed to prepare, When things get back to normal THIS WILL HAPPEN AGAIN!! It may be something beside primers. It may be food, it may be boots or something else.
Be ready, start last month at the latest. I don't know when it will start or what it will be.
For those whining about hoarders, Go right on blaming someone else for you own lack of foresight, and I hope for your sake that it is not something absoutely necessary for survival. I know full well that it would bea waste to tell you that you can prepare for tomorrow.

What is the cutoff date that separates planning ahead from hoarding? Month, Date, and year.

How many primers am I allowed to own before my ownership of a legal commodity begins to offend you? The answer will be a number.

Please explain in 1000 words of less how your own lack of primers today would be improved today if I had bought a single brick in 1995 instead of a sleeve. (The batch I am working on right now.)

TANSTAAFL R H Heinlein (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress)

454PB
04-26-2009, 04:05 PM
I agree, planning ahead in any manner is just common sense. Save some of your income, stock some canned goods, and keep ammunition components stocked.

Seems strange to me that someone can post here that he bought 10 buckets of wheelweights and everyone says "good for you!", but mention that you have 10 bricks of primers and you're "hoarding" or panic buying. I had more than 10 bricks on hand long before this present shortage happened.

I'm still using 10 bricks of various CCI primers I bought at a garage sale years ago. The original owner wrote the purchase date on each brick (as I also do), and they range from 1977 to 1980. So far all of them are fine.

onlylead
04-26-2009, 04:29 PM
i filled a live primed 45-70 case with krwoil oil let set 1 week gentley deprimed smacked primer with hammer it went bang dont understand all the worry

alamogunr
04-26-2009, 04:40 PM
or maybe until they are about to pee their pants before starting for the John.

I resemble that remark. I hope you can get old and not have that problem.

rhead
04-26-2009, 04:44 PM
I resemble that remark. I hope you can get old and not have that problem.

I have Been old a long time.

Ron B.
04-26-2009, 04:44 PM
alamogunr!
Lol! Dude!
At least you are still able too!
P, I mean. :)

GRB

gcollins
04-26-2009, 08:53 PM
I want to thank each and every one of you for the support and also explaining, the way you store your primers! I was a sleep at the wheel this time, but didn't get burnt to bad! Me fighting with 3 torn disc for 7 years, and going to court all the time, I got caught a sleep, but was lucking and got stocked backed up paying $24.00 per 1000!
I just used the last of, my alcan primers, you all remember those! I would like to find someone that lived close to S.E. Kansas That needed some New Winchester 209 primers, I have at least 2000, that I would trade for small or large primers, and Shot Gun primers are higher price! I thought I was going to shoot CAS, so I bought a basket case Crescent 16ga sxs, I didn't think I would ever get all the parts made that was missing! I shoot 5/8oz load in it because of my back. And i will nver shoot all the shotgun primers I have!
Thanks fella's!
One ore thing, i am looking for Stevens 22 single shot rifles working or not, in the drop action block type rifles, lower the lever and load. If anyone has one or parts please let me know!
Later Greg

anachronism
04-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Fair notice!!! You should also be laying aside extra food. The economy figures are being manipulated so that the Big "Os" forst 100 days will look good. We still have trouble on the horizon.

My apologies for the hijack. It won't happen again (today).

This has been a public service announcement brought to you by the folks who are going to saying "I told you so", in the near future.

mike in co
04-26-2009, 09:05 PM
ladies and gentlemen,
primers are the only explosive in modern reloading supplies. placing them in sealed steel containers means they are a bomb if you have a house fire. your fire dept will not be happy and probably report your unsafe acts to the police( for putting thier workers in harms way).

you will notice manufacturers place primers in multiple layers of cardboard....for a reason. do not try to contain the explossive force when detonated. our ammo has an outlet...the bullet moves; your ammo cans have NO OUTLETS!

just stack them neatly side by side......

put them on shelve with some space.

thanks
mike in co
and yes i just finished the last of my alcan small pistol primers also !

M-Tecs
04-26-2009, 10:11 PM
I am an avid reloader and shooter. Through the years I have been given a far amount of primers and powder to dispose of from estates. Any open powders are used as lawn fertilizer; however, I have always tried to use the primers. Several years ago I was give 4,000 Winchester small rifle primers that had been purchase in 1976(still had tags on from Scheels in Bismark ND). I the mid 80 they were underwater in a basement flood from a broken pipe. Most had a small amount of corrosion on them. Just for kicks I tried some. To my surprise they all went bang. I started loading them for my Prairie Dog rifles. Accuracy was not affected. Out of the 4,000 I had maybe 10 no fires.

Joel

BruceB
04-26-2009, 10:38 PM
Mike in CO is 100% correct, in my book.

A sealed steel can full of primers amounts to a bomb waiting for the detonating impulse. Ammo cans are great for many types of storage, but not explosives!

Primers will store happily on open shelves for decades, given a half-reasonable environment. My ammo cans are used for ingots and other inert substances, and primers are in the more-open storage which minimizes their violent possibilities.

3006guns
04-26-2009, 11:30 PM
I just inventoried my primers when all of this "panic buying" nonsense started and found I have a good supply. I also noticed for the first time that most are stored in their original sleeves/packaging and simply shelved amongst other supplies. The oldest I have are some Alcan and CCI from the early sixties and they go bang just fine.

There is a story in Hatcher's Notebook (required reading for all shooters) describing a reloader carrying a glass Mason jar full of primers. He was humming a song and shaking the jar as he walked along. Fortunately for his widow, he carried life insurance. Yes, impact will detonate them (big suprise).

I'm not trying to preach to the choir......but if you have primers (or anything similar) stored in sealed metal ammo cans, you're asking for tragedy if it's dropped or heated. The force released would be far more than just the ammo that was in the can originally. Keep 'em in cardboard under reasonable conditions and they'll probably outlast you.

hammerhead357
04-27-2009, 01:22 AM
I keep mine in styrofom ice chests, like you get at a store to hold about 2 cases of adult bevrages. I see no problem with heat, pressure build up and hope that these will help insulate the primers from some temp. changes and humidity changes also....Wes

Lloyd Smale
04-27-2009, 07:16 AM
pretty soon ill be able to store them in my pants pocket!!

Ron B.
04-27-2009, 08:02 AM
What primers?

GRB

cajun shooter
04-27-2009, 08:48 AM
G Collins, I was not talking about you but the many crazy buyers that have created this mess. If you think that I was attacking you direct then call me at 225-686-1502 and I will be more than happy to have a conversation with you sir. My name is David Shultz and my address is 17195 David Dr. Livingston,La. 70754 If anyone else that posted a problem with me the phone lines are open. I'm not some PC jerk that hides behind a screen. I'm 62 years old and started reloading and casting in 1971. I have two friends who own a gun store in Baton Rouge,La. who are having people call and drive from 100 miles away to buy primers and powder. It's gone crazy and it's not the guy next door who does not own guns that is causing the problem. I also have four bad disc with a infusion pump implanted for the pain Mr Collins. I also have a $920 dis-ability check to make ends meet so you are not alone in that respect. Later David

Trey45
04-27-2009, 08:54 AM
You must be one of those persons who bought a 100,000,000 primers so that the rest us can no longer reload.

G Collins, I was not talking about you but the many crazy buyers that have created this mess.

Not to be nit picky here, but really??

gcollins
04-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Hi David,
i don't have a problem with you! but if you go back and read your post, you made it out of haste! i understand your frustration! If you want to shoot 22's, you have to be at the Walmart store when they un load the truck to buy a brick of them.
And my reply back to you, i thought was strait forward with not hate involved. There are people that just live in a world that they don't plan ahead! I am doing just like I did, in 86 I have shut down shooting everything execpt 22's! I think we are cool!

Fella's I agree, maybe storing primers in ammo can's isn't a good Idea.
You all have a good one!
greg

AZ-Stew
04-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Ammo cans are a poor place to store primers, for the reasons stated in earlier posts.

I store mine in an operating refrigerator. The actual temperature is not as important as keeping them at a constant temperature.

As much as I hate to do it during the summer, where the temperature in my shop will vary between 83F and 74F, depending on whether or not I'm using the shop, I'm considering moving my humble stash to my safe for security. While some may consider this similar to an ammo can, the primer stash is small, the safe is fire resistant, there is a lot of volume in the safe to absorb any explosion, and the safe is not air-tight, as are the ammo cans. It can vent off a small explosion.

Regards,

Stew

Springfield
04-27-2009, 12:50 PM
I'm sure Cajun Shooter doesn't give a rodent's behind if all us regular shooters were like me and like to keep 5000 of each type of primer on hand, or even more. When you get low, buy some more. Buying large amounts is usually a good idea 'cause last time I looked the price wasn't going down, and they last forever, pretty much. I have talked to him, and what chaps our hide is the guys who don't usually load much but have decided that the world is ending and have bought 20-30- 50,000 primers (or more) so they will never run out. Because of buying like this a few regular shoters who normally buy maybe 500 at time are running out. Yes, they have the legal right to do so, but at the expense of other shooters. As Americans we are used to just going to the store and buying what we want. Yes, we are spoiled, and yes, maybe we should plan ahead better. But panic buying like this helps NO ONE but the anti gunners. Just buy enough for a year, maybe 2. When the supply returns to normal,. then stock up to whatever amount makes you feel comfortable. But don't cause a shortage with panic buying, 'cause that is all it is. And in my humble opinon, it is irresponsible behaviour. As to the ammo cans, they make nice bombs. I hope I don't live next to you when your house catches on fire. I just put mine on the shelf in the original packaging, never had a failure to fire, and some of my primers are 20 years old.

M-Tecs
04-27-2009, 12:59 PM
I suffered through the last primer famine. I didn't get to shoot for a couple of months because of it. Since then, I made certain I bought a couple of thousand primers at every gunshow I attended, then stored them properly. This is commonly referred to as "planning ahead". Not to be confused with "reactionary panic buying". I am damn sorry you can't find the 100-200 lousy primers you want to get by this week because I bought a few thousand extra 5 years ago. The accusative tone of some of these posts is getting damn annoying.

Anachronism

Great post. I to "planned ahead”. The part that is getting under my skin a year ago when I started telling the some of my fellow shooter they should consider stocking up. We did a couple of group buy, but there was surprisingly (to me) little interest amongst my fellow shooter.

Now not a week goes by without getting a call from someone that declined the group purchase a year ago. They want me to sell them primers. I refer them to GunBrokers. Then they call back whining about the price.

It’s was their choice not to be part of the group buys. I planned ahead for my next couple of years of shooting and no more. I have no interest in selling any primes period.

Here comes the surprising part. I have offered to loan some to trusted individual. The deal is I want them replaced in a year. If they can replacement for a dollar or a thousand dollars I don’t care, but they will replace them. All have declined my loan offer. They must now believe that it’s going to get allot worse before it get better.

They weren’t worried a year ago but now they are and somehow out of this I am the bad guy for “planning ahead”. :violin:

gcollins
04-27-2009, 02:13 PM
Howdy Mark,
I wished I had 20,000 primers, I think that would last me my life time! But when I was shooting, my best time ever was, 850 - 9mm in 60mins on my RL450, can't do that know! About 500.
Back in 1977, we had a convinent store, combo fishing and hunting supplies. One Saturday eve a tanker truck came up and started filling the tanks, instead of staying there and doing his job, he went into the store to shoot the bull. This owner had a 12ft x 12 ft room filled with ammo, of all kinds! I was the second man back on the main hose, flames were reported 20 miles away, we had a burning enfero, tanker on fire, 3 monster in ground tanks shooting flames 200 feet in the air, and a lot of small bangs, no bombs!! I am not trying to be a a$$, but I would of thought, that if anything would of made a bomb that room would of, maybe luck it didn't blow!1 I can tell you guys, at that time of my life, i wasn't scared of anything, but that night, there was a great amount of fear in me!! And I assumme since there wasn't any amount of promers toghter by there self is why it didn't go boom.
But after this thread I have moved all my primers out of the ammo cans, and put them on my self.
Later fellows.
Greg

Lloyd Smale
04-27-2009, 02:25 PM
you got to keep in mind that some people shoot more then others. I havent bought primers by the brick in years. I buy them by the case. It isnt hardly worth the gas to go get a brick anymore. Its come down to me swapping bricks of primers to keep going. Usually i have at least a case and usually two of each on hand. I was in the middle of mass reloading for 223s and 308s and got caught with my pants down. Ive got a good supply of pistol primers but im really hurting for rifle. Now ive got more ammo on hand then most any two avid shooters would shoot in a lifetime buy im not a typical shooter. Its nothing for my round count for a week to go well into the thousands. My point in all of this is how can you accuse anyone that went and bought a couple cases of primers of being a stockpiler. Hell i wouldnt feel comfortable right now if i had 10 cases of each kind on hand. What gets my craw is the *****s on the auction sights who bought 10s of thousands of them and are ripping people off for sometimes over a 100 bucks a brick. these are supposidly fellow shooters. Its bad enough that we have to fight the democrats but these guys are fu ing fellow shooters over worse then anything the democrats have done. I wish i knew one of those sobs personaly! theyd be getting a visit.

Ed Barrett
04-27-2009, 03:11 PM
A friend of mine, who was at a gunshow last week, told me that while he was at a table looking at some reloading supplies, the man next to him was buying about $200.00 worth of stuff. He struck up a conversion while waiting and the fellow said that he didn't reload but was "getting ready" in case he couldn't buy ammo in the future. He didn't really know what he was buying, but he was going to put it in the garage "just in case".
I think this is one of the causes of the price change/shortage we are seeing.

sheepdog
04-27-2009, 04:04 PM
My local shop isn't selling any primers unless you buy a pound of powder and 500 projectiles. For awhile they'd sell you a pack of 100 but now not even that. Of course they say they're rationing them out so they can have some for everyone but that didn't seem to apply when someone from Houston came up and bought several crates worth. Just shows you that people will screw over even their long time customers for a buck.

gcollins
04-27-2009, 04:23 PM
Why, all at once has the companies making primers have stopped? If they have not stopped how come, those that only sell reloading supplies can't get any? Powder Valley Inc. has nothing! How can they keep there doors open? Places like CCI can make 100,000 primers a shift, I think those primmer co. are holding things up to charge the dealers more money for the same product that doesn't cost anymore to make today as it did 6 months ago?? If anyone has any info on this jump in, i would like to hear about it.
Later Greg

Trey45
04-27-2009, 04:32 PM
They have NOT stopped making primers, nor have they slowed down! There is a HUGE demand for primers now and thats why there's a shortage. Also, factory ammo is in high demand, and it's quite possible these primers are being used to feed the cartridge assembly lines.

Heavy lead
04-27-2009, 04:56 PM
Just goes to show how poor management is at these companies. For God's sake everyone, I mean everyone saw the writing on the wall more than a year ago, and what was going to happen. I have enough, while not hoarding, I will however buy, when and if the price is right (30 per thousand) period.
Too bad, these companies could be selling these left and right and the price on commodities is right for them to make a boatload of money. Idiots.
What the hell are we going to do if we go to war, I mean a **** kicking WWIII like scenario where we need to manufacture things, like boats, planes, tanks, and armements and do it TODAY.
We are in serious trouble.
Hope Wolf will send us primers and Norinco guns if this happens.:kidding:

gcollins
04-27-2009, 05:00 PM
The last batch of Primers I bought were Wolf, I have used them in the past!
Greg

mike in co
04-27-2009, 07:20 PM
do you guys actually read prior posts before putting up your posts ?

every issue in the last couple of posts has been covered in these forums..MULTIPLE TIMES.

mike in co
04-27-2009, 07:26 PM
Just goes to show how piss poor management is at these companies. For God's sake everyone, I mean everyone saw the writing on the wall more than a year ago, and what was going to happen. I have enough, while not hoarding, I will however buy, when and if the price is right (30 per thousand) period.
Too bad, these companies could be selling these left and right and the price on commodities is right for them to make a boatload of money. Idiots.
What the hell are we going to do if we go to war, I mean a **** kicking WWIII like scenario where we need to manufacture things, like boats, planes, tanks, and armements and do it TODAY.
We are in serious trouble.
Hope Wolf will send us primers and Norinco guns if this happens.:kidding:

OK.I I'M A MANUFACTURE, and i see normal orders from my distribution network....why would i do things different than in the past ? the end of the year is the normal SLOW period for the component makers. had the distribution network ordered some,maybe, but they did not. why ? cause they dont want to pay inventory taxes in jan.......neither the distributor, not the manufactures of components ever expected to see the buying spike that exisits today.

they are selling them left and right, AND they have not raised thier prices. what they ahve done is to move product to THIER own ammo lines.

nothing i have said is new...its been said over and over.....

shooterg
04-27-2009, 08:18 PM
Mine have been in cans in a shed for a while - after reading Mike and others above, I believe I'll go to the styrofoam coolers to keep 'em dry !

Heavy lead
04-27-2009, 08:55 PM
OK.I I'M A MANUFACTURE, and i see normal orders from my distribution network....why would i do things different than in the past ? the end of the year is the normal SLOW period for the component makers. had the distribution network ordered some,maybe, but they did not. why ? cause they dont want to pay inventory taxes in jan.......neither the distributor, not the manufactures of components ever expected to see the buying spike that exisits today.

they are selling them left and right, AND they have not raised thier prices. what they ahve done is to move product to THIER own ammo lines.

You are absolutely positively correct. They should NOT change anything at all if they want everything to remain the same. Just as GM, Ford, and Chrysler were selling vehicles (mainly trucks and SUV's) left and right a few years ago. They couldn't see a reason to change anything either, why should the component manufactures.

This is not a normal time in our country, doing things business as usual will make you defunct. People are either making money hand over fist right now or they are losing it, same as with any recessionary period in the history of the world. Basically IF you are lucky enough to have a product with a high demand right now, you damn well better figure out and fast how to cash that check, or someone else will, period.

mike in co
04-28-2009, 12:17 AM
you are implying they are not doing something different...and you are wrong.
go read the posts!
every american primer plant is running over time, have re hired workers, added more hours, more days per week.
unlike the us car manufactures, ammo component makers are building something there is a DEMAND FOR.
SO VERY POOR EXAMPLE.

quit trying to blame those on our side, its the election and the people that voted for him...panicing, now that they see what the CHANGE will be.

Bret4207
04-28-2009, 06:59 AM
Chill out Mike. Yeah, it's all been discussed, but yelling at the guys who are just figuring it out is like me yelling at the guys asking, "Can I shoot a GC boolit w/o the GC?" which happens about once a week. Not worth the blood pressure guy.

AZ-Stew
04-28-2009, 07:06 AM
The existing tooling in the ammo plants will only produce a certain amount of product when run at full capacity. From what I understand, it's at capacity now. Even if the manufacturers wanted to increase capacity, and ask youself how they'd justify the expense when the market normalizes again, it would take at LEAST 6 - 8 months to build the floorspace, procure the machinery and train the operators. Be patient.

Regards,

Stew

montana_charlie
04-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Getting back (close) to the original topic, I thought Iwould pass this on...not because I agree with it, but because it greatly surprised me.

My barber runs a one-man shop, and I have been going there for so long I don't even need money. If I happen to show up without the scratch, he will say 'pay me double next time'.

From our conversations it appears obvious that he is a Vietnam vet. Beyond that, there are vague allusions to returning to California (once or twice per year) for 're-evaluation'. He once mentioned that he is the only member of his unit who is allowed to live alone...out here among us, the general public.

Last week I was in for the usual and we got to talking about guns. I mentioned the shortage of primers, and he went off on a 'thing' about his reloading practice.

Seems that after a batch of reloads get to a certain age without being fired, he will pull them down to replace the primers with 'fresh' ones. When I asked how old a round needed to be for this treatment, it seemed like it was somewhere between four and six months.

When I asked 'why', he went off on how perfect your components need to be when you are shooting at a one-gallon paint can at 1700 yards...which would have been one of his 'shorter shots back in Vietnam'.

Yessir...you can't make that shot without a fresh primer.

My haircut didn't last long enough for me to ask what he will do if he can't buy fresh primers for more than six months...

CM

Bret4207
04-29-2009, 08:02 AM
Ya ever think your barber is full of it?

Heavy lead
04-29-2009, 08:23 AM

Mike,
You are taking what I'm saying here way too serious. First of all, I really don't care what the primer situation is at this point, and no I'm not hoarding them and don't have a huge supply. If the jello hits the fan, we are not going to have the time, resources and probably even the "privelage" of recreational shooting anyway, and strictly from a survival and defensive standpoint I would bet 100 rounds of ammunition would be plenty to last the rest of most of our lives, used wisely.
This whole arguement, or whatever it is, is silly anyway. Truth is none of us knows the truth about any of it.
The firearms industry probably is going down in this country, it has been for the last 30 years and will continue to. They are booming now, but after this is over, it's done guys. Enjoy it while you can.
It's all about supply and demand, demand is high now, but it will not remain that way, it'll crash.
That's obviously my opinion, but I also had the opinion in 1999 that the housing bubble was around the corner, same economic concept, a false demand spike (housing caused by "easy to obtain affordable mortgages", firearms and munitions caused by political panic).
Point being either it will be determined that our political situation will be ok for firearm owners, or they will be outlawed, either way the demand will go down, especially with the economic situation that is upon us currently.

I simply will not worry about it, life is too damn short, and we don't take it with us anyway, so what the hell. One thing good that this political climate has done for me is reinforced the fact that I am a really small fish in a really big pond, and my life is for me to live and enjoy and I do not have to take part in the madness if I choose not too.

mike in co
04-29-2009, 09:12 AM
I simply will not worry about it, life is too damn short, and we don't take it with us anyway, so what the hell. One thing good that this political climate has done for me is reinforced the fact that I am a really small fish in a really big pond, and my life is for me to live and enjoy and I do not have to take part in the madness if I choose not too.

while we may disagree on some stuff, the above statement is the way to go.
i don't spent much or any time "worrying"..it's just non-productive.

mike in co

montana_charlie
04-29-2009, 11:43 AM
Ya ever think your barber is full of it?
I've known the guy for more than ten years and this is the first time he has said something that might actually indicate that.
I'll remember the conversation, and try to get him to amplify on it at some future time...just to see if he really means it.
CM

Bret4207
04-29-2009, 12:24 PM
He may be for real, but I've met a LOT of guys from the VN era that told some incredible stories, and about 3/4 of them were just that- stories. One guy had me going for hours till he told me he went right from the recruiters office to "sniper school", bypassing Parris Island altogether. NOT!!! Sure did have some great stories.

M-Tecs
04-29-2009, 01:50 PM
"Beyond that, there are vague allusions to returning to California (once or twice per year) for 're-evaluation'. He once mentioned that he is the only member of his unit who is allowed to live alone...out here among us, the general public."

Pure B.S.!!! Too many movies.:confused::confused:

"When I asked 'why', he went off on how perfect your components need to be when you are shooting at a one-gallon paint can at 1700 yards...which would have been one of his 'shorter shots back in Vietnam'."

More pure B.S. Of course you can shoot at one-gallon paint can a 1700, but hitting it is totally a different matter. If I remember correct 1700 was the longest rifle shot in Vietnam (Carlos Hathcock).

They mounted scopes on Browning M2 50 cal. machine guns and I believe they had a confirmed at 2,100 yards.

I am acquainted with one Army and two Marine Vietnam snipers and they all have stated 750 to 800 yards was very possible. Anything after that was pushing it.

Even with today better equipment hitting a one-gallon paint can a 1700 is better than world record abilities.

I am in the Military and I do compete in NRA Long Range at 800, 900 and 1,000 yards so I do have a little experience to base my opinion on.

Through the years I have taken several of the “1,000 yard deer shooters” out to the range on a bet. When they see what a surveyed 1,000 yards is none have even bothered to put a round down range. They always state that’s not a 1,000 yards!!! In that they are correct as the range (Gopher Rifle and Revolver, Harris MN) was incorrectly laid out. It is only 997.

Bet him a couple of years of double or nothing haircuts that he can’t hit a one gallon paint can at 600 or 1000 yards:drinks:

mike in co
04-29-2009, 04:08 PM
"
I am acquainted with one Army and two Marine Vietnam snipers and they all have stated 750 to 800 yards was very possible. Anything after that was pushing it.

Even with today better equipment hitting a one-gallon paint can a 1700 is better than world record abilities.

:

that was then, this is now...( he was talking then...so you maybe right), but now...canadian or brits did a confirmed hit at sometning over 1500 yds, right after an american had a confirmed at a little less.
seal teams were just issued accuracy intl custom long range rifles.

things do get better with time...in the case of the barber.....the details get "better" with age.

mike in co