PDA

View Full Version : beageling a mold?

TREERAT
04-24-2009, 08:59 PM
Many people here have suggested a larger diameter bullet, would help me. I have tryed lapping my mold and only picked up .001, so I am trying beagleing. do you think aluminium pop can shims will work? the one I cut up measured .003, and will high temp rtv sealent hold them to the mold? I am guessing the total will be at least .004 gap, is that too much? should I expect finning with ww no tin added?

RayinNH
04-24-2009, 09:11 PM
TREERAT, I think you'd have horrible fin problems. Just use the aluminum foil tape available at hardware stores. It has it's own adhesive. Attach a strip on each side of the blocks and maybe one at the bottom if your using a multi cavity mould. If that doesn't do it use a second layer of tape...Ray

beagle
04-24-2009, 09:15 PM
I've used pop can material with adhesive off the tape. Don't know about the RTV. The tape is easier to use and you should be able to pick some up at any AC shop as it's used for sealing ducts.

I've found that about .003" is about all you can get away with. Maybe you'll be lucky with .004" if you're bottom pouring. Kind of gives the lead time to cool a bit I beleive.

Give it a try. All you have to lose is time./beagle

TREERAT
04-24-2009, 09:29 PM
I measured some tin foil at .001 would that have been better to try?
money is very tight now and I have to make due with what I can, thats why I can not see buying a whole roll of ac tape right now.

TREERAT
04-24-2009, 11:03 PM
pop can worked PERFECT!!! no flashing, no finning, and better fill out because of better venting! only .001 out of round .363 x .362, and bore rider portion will very lightly ingrave from lands. tight fit in fired case, and still chambers! rtv did not hold up though. my bollets came out so good I am going to jb weld my shims in!

targetshootr
04-24-2009, 11:25 PM
JB Weld sounds risky, like maybe it could cause more of a gap than you want and get into the wrong nooks and crannys.

TREERAT
04-25-2009, 12:04 AM
JB Weld sounds risky, like maybe it could cause more of a gap than you want and get into the wrong nooks and crannys.

:twisted:already did it! I will post how it worked out after it cures and I get a chance to really put it to the test.

Slow Elk 45/70
04-25-2009, 01:02 AM
Treerat, I sure hope this works out well for you, man what a struggle with a mold !!
Good Luck, I hope the boolits shoot better for you.