PDA

View Full Version : Casting HP's info needed

rockrat
04-24-2009, 09:48 AM
Have a couple of HP moulds. Usually don't have any problem, but this 311291 mould I just got is giving me fits. Body casts out real well, but at the nose is uneven. thinking mould is too cold, but body is slightly frosted, but just doesn't fill well near the tip of the nose. Its lopsided.

Raise temp a little more? Running at 745 degrees now and using #2 alloy. Thanks

BABore
04-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Dip the mold to get it hot (about 10-15 seconds). Dip the pin in the melt for a few seconds, wipe it off, and have at it. Run them fast. Your problem is a cold pin. Some guys rig up a little wire holder to keep the oin in the pot during idle time. I've never found the need. Best sequence I've found is pour, pull the pin, then cut the sprue. You shouldn't need more alloy heat, just mold pin heat. If all this fails, also check venting in the nose area.

runfiverun
04-24-2009, 06:45 PM
the pin is sucking the heat from your alloy.

geargnasher
04-24-2009, 09:46 PM
the pin is sucking the heat from your alloy.

+1 on that. Cast hot, cast fast, and keep that spud hot! Sometimes I keep a propane torch going to warm the spud up if I have to stop for even 30 seconds during casting for some reason. Some folks have posted here that they make a little wire holder for torches in which they can place their spuds which keeps them gently hot between casts or if they have to pause. The smaller the spud the worse the problem, but you should never have to heat until the boolits frost to get the noses to fill properly.

Hope this helps,

Gear