PDA

View Full Version : Comparison of Buffalo Arms .43 Mauser brass

trooperdan
02-21-2006, 09:31 PM
I just recieved a shipment of .43 Mauser brass from Buffalo arms and find the contrasts between their reformed from .348 Winchester brass and Bell brass interesting.

Cost:

20 rounds of Bell went for $31.00 Vs 50 for $44 reformed cases

Appearance:

Five randomly selected cases of the Winchester brass all had an easily discerable scratch on the necked down portion of the case. This scratch was easily visible but could barely be felt with a fingernail. This brass had the case head fly-cut to the profile of the Mauser "A" base. The brass was bright and shiny.

The Bell brass was free of any nick's scratches or dents but was not as brightly polished as the Winchester.

Weight:

Five randomly selected Winchester cases weight an average of 212.7 grains with a variance of 3.1 grains.

Five Bell cases averaged 229.2 grains with a variance of 1.9 grains.

Length:

Winchester: 2.366

Bell: 2.352

These will be paired with some lovely BullShop produced RCBS 395 grain .446 bullets over a moderate charge of smokeless and carted to the range soon.

Huffmanite
02-26-2006, 10:26 PM
Received some 43 Spanish brass, also formed from 348 Win, from Track of the Wolf yesterday for my Remington Rolling block. Good looking brass. However rims too thick for my particular Rolling block to close completely at chamber. Track of Wolf was willing to exchange brass for 44-77 shiloh brass which is almost identical to 43 Spanish, except for neck diameter for .446 bullet and 44-77 shiloh has a thinner rim. Solved problem of rim thickness by taking off just enough metal from both sides of rim for rolling block to close. Used to shoot 43 mauser in my RB and use the fireformed brass to reload as 43 Spanish. Sorry Track of the Wolf does not have 43 Mauser brass. Wonder if 43 Spanish or 44-77 brass could be formed to 43 Mauser.

Andy_P
07-06-2007, 06:44 PM
I use Track of the Wolf 44-77 brass in my Mauser 71/84. Anneal and size and it works great. A bit short in length, but its neck is very long and amply grips bullets heavier than 350 grs.

I bought my stash before the price recently doubled for that brass. I'd look at Buffalo Arms' 43 Mauser brass, as it is now less expensive and is the correct length.