PDA

View Full Version : linotype/monotype question

captaint
04-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Being relatively new to casting them boolits, I need some help with what I have. Got a bucket, years ago - about 75 lbs or so of either monotype or linotype. Its mostly small pieces (one letter each) and flat spacer looking pieces. Is this actually monotype? Either way, from what I can gather it should be about 45 -50% tin and the rest PB and maybe some antimony. I'm going to be re melting about 300 lbs of mostly ww in order to achieve a more consistent mix. I cast the ingots of ww,but I also have some muffin pan ingots that I did not make. So - after blending/cleaning should I wait and add the typemetal when it's boolit casting time? I'm thinking it would be better to wait & add it later. And the other question - how much typemetal should be added to 20# of mostly ww for pistol (45acp & 357) boolits? I'm not going to be pushing them hard, velocity wise.:veryconfu

sheepdog
04-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Lino or mono is no where near the 45-50% tin mark you're thinking. You won't get that high til you mess with solder or pewter. Heres a nifty chart for your convenience courtesy of LASC (http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm):

Commonly Used Bullet Alloys (additional information added)

Alloy
"Average" Composition Alloy "Average" Composition

Wheel Weights, clip-on 1/2% tin, 4% antimony, 95.25% lead, 1/4% arsenic

Foundry Type 15% tin, 23% antimony, 62% lead

Wheel Weights, stick-on Pure lead or nearly so

Scrap range lead Could be (and is) anything

Linotype 4% tin, 12% antimony, 84% lead

Plumbers lead/Stain glass lead/Flashing/Battery connectors or posts 99%+ pure lead.

Monotype 9% tin, 19% antimony, 72% lead

Lyman's No. 2 5% tin, 5% antimony, 90% lead

Solder Anywhere from 50% tin 50% lead to 99% tin

Pewter 90 to 98% tin, rest is antimony, and lead. Trace amounts of copper

Recluse
04-23-2009, 12:46 PM
And the other question - how much typemetal should be added to 20# of mostly ww for pistol (45acp & 357) boolits? I'm not going to be pushing them hard, velocity wise.:veryconfu

As far as tin/pb content, what sheepdog said up above.

As far as how much lino to add to your mix?

I rarely use linotype. When I run across some or find a decent deal on some to purchase, I melt it down into 1/2 pound ingots via the little cheap Lee ingot mould that has those two small moulds in the middle. Makes it easy to keep the lino separate from the rest of my alloy.

I NEVER use lino for 45 ACP boolits--they are simply never going to be pushed hard enough to warrant the additional BHN factor. Plus, with proper sizing (matched to slugging your bore) and proper lubing, I don't have leading issues.

When it comes to higher velocity boolits, I'll cast from separate ingots that I've made up specifically for that purpose. Mainly those boolits are for the .44 Magnum and .30-06. Interestingly enough, I'm having better accuracy results using that same alloy mix (ww with lino and higher amount of tin) in my 9mm boolits.

:coffee:

captaint
04-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Appreciate the info Sheepdog & Recluse. Sheepdog, was not able to get that link to work - got "page not found". I was thinking that tin ratio of lino was awfully high - got that off an i-net site. Can't always believe.............. Thanks again, Mike

w30wcf
04-23-2009, 07:24 PM
captaint,

The single digits are monotype....most likely 72/19/9 l/a/t.
The spacers, if they are strips, could be linotype? I would melt them separately.

w.w. are best for your application without adding anything.

I have some monotype that I blend with either w.w. or lead to make either linotype or a 16 b.h.n. alloy for shooting in my .30 cal rifles.

w30wcf

hydraulic
04-24-2009, 09:04 PM
The NRA cast bullet supplement says there is copper in foundry type, also. They recommend bringing the alloy to 650 degrees, shut it down for 20 minutes, reheat and skim. The copper will precipitate out and can be discarded. If left in it will clog the spout of a bottom pour pot. I found this to be true. I have 400 lbs of monotype.

runfiverun
04-25-2009, 01:17 AM
if what you got has been used a few times. figure it at 3% tin and about 11 % antimony.
the spacers shuld be 4%and 12%.
i mix soft lead to my ww's for the 45. your 9 mm may benefit from a 357 or 358 size more than a hard boolit.