PDA

View Full Version : a bucket full of 22rf...

mike in co
04-23-2009, 11:35 AM
guys,
i'm in the brass business and part of the process of recycling the brass is the recovery of unfired ammo.
in the course of a month to 6 weeks, i get enought ammo to package and sell "as is"....cheap/components only... ok in this process i get some 22rf ammo and i do the same with it. packaged in 2lb bags and sold cheap..it has rejects but mainly shootable. to the point that guys line up to buy it.
monday i picked up 4 full buckets of brass from an indoor range. we noticed a bunch of 22's in the mix. today we have finished sorting and ........there is over 40 POUNDS of 22 rf ammo. that is over TEN FULL BRICKS! it is over 95% one brand. i have no idea how anyone could scrap that much 22 ammo.
we have left it sorted, and will check for recalls. there was one 22 recall a yr or so ago. looks like i do not have to buy 22's for a while.....

mike in co
THE COLORADO BRASS COMPANY

jimkim
04-23-2009, 11:54 AM
Dang hoss, do you ship? I wish the guys around here would do that.

klcarroll
04-23-2009, 03:05 PM
@Mike;

If you want to sell some of that, ......I'm interested!

Kent

JW6108
04-23-2009, 03:10 PM
The recycling guy at our local range has a pile as well.

I'm guessing that majority brand is sold in green and yellow boxes.

crabo
04-23-2009, 05:36 PM
How many of them have firing pin strikes?

mike in co
04-23-2009, 07:09 PM
it seems an olderly lady dumped her husband's ammo...the family took all the guns, and left the ammo. so its all good stuff.....why he took it out of the boxes is beyond me...she brought it in in bags.
think i'm set for a while if these shoots in my ruger mk II's( and my soon to be cz cadet).

on another part of this....yes i get lots of "struck" 22 ammo. the guys buy it and shoot it, most unfired strikes are a gun issue, no tthe ammo. typically dirty guns.

mike in co

Bent Ramrod
04-25-2009, 09:37 PM
I manage to accumulate a Baggie full of .22RF every six months or so at the places I shoot. Much of it has been dented once, but a surprising amount is not touched at all. Sometimes it looks like someone has simply thrown handfuls of the stuff on the ground.

I'm surprised at this profligacy, although people may be clearing semiautos and afraid of scratching their barrels once the .22 hits the ground. I only rarely find a .17 HMR or Mach II even though there is a lot of brass on the ground, so maybe the tendency to pick up dirt is the issue. I recycle everything I find through a Winchester 06 with a scabrous bore. It's good enough for plinking, for sure.

Jon
04-27-2009, 10:22 AM
I find some 22 here and there but not all that often. If the look like they've been hit a few times I'll pull the bullet out with my leatherman and dump out the powder. I'd rather not leave it laying around for some kids to find.