PDA

View Full Version : reloader 7

TREERAT
04-23-2009, 01:14 AM
does reloader 7 work well for cast loads? also this is my first rx7 and it has no color identifiers, is it ok? I have read that it would have these color identifiers!

Slow Elk 45/70
04-23-2009, 01:29 AM
Hullo Treerat, would that be the same as a limbrat???[squirrel][smilie=1:

Yes RL-7 is a good powder for cast loads IMHO. I use it in 223, 30/30 and 45/70 quite a bit , use it where you would use 3031, 4198,4895 etc. anything close in burning rate, some people like it others swear it is useless, I happen to get good accuracy/velocity with it and it meters really well.

I can't speak to the marker question, I have a lot of the older stuff, and it has the red flake in it. I have heard that this has been discarded with the newer powder, e-mail or call Mfg. they will give you the correct answer.

:brokenima

TREERAT
04-23-2009, 01:48 AM
yes that would be for squirrel or limbrat. I had a small speach problem in grade school, and squirrel was the main word I had problem with. came out like sgwirl, so I got fed up with the teasing and just started calling them treerats! wow! I cannot beleive I just shared that! Oh well! latter.

Slow Elk 45/70
04-23-2009, 02:06 AM
Good for you. I'm glad you can share, God tests us all the time.

I hope you have good luck with your RL-7, you did not say how much you have, it does shoot well with cast in the medium to large bore rifles . If you want loads, e-mail me and I will share what I use, if you are loading anything I shoot. Good Luck

DLCTEX
04-23-2009, 10:55 AM
I do not recall seeing any markers in my R-7, I'll have to look. I use it for several cast boolit loadings.I gave a ride to a soldier in south La. in the 70's. He was on a weekend pass from Ft. Polk.I asked him what he planned to do for the weekend and he replied he was going "Squaw hunting", which I took to mean girl hunting. I finally figured out he was saying squirrel, not squaw.I don't know if it was his Cajun accent, or a speech impediment. I could relate to hunting either one.

Gunlaker
04-23-2009, 11:30 AM
does reloader 7 work well for cast loads? also this is my first rx7 and it has no color identifiers, is it ok? I have read that it would have these color identifiers!

The old Reloder7 by Hercules had different colored granules. The newer Alliant stuff is a greenish color. It seems to require lighter loads than the older stuff to achieve the same velocity.

The confusing part is that some of the newer manuals describe the colored granules yet use load data for the Alliant powder. As an example, see the Lyman 49th manual. It's loads use the new powder but describe it as looking like the old powder. The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook shows loads for the old powder.

Chris.

felix
04-23-2009, 11:42 AM
True. Old RL7 has a nominal 5 percent nitroglycerin, and the new one has 10. The new one is rated as the same speed, but that would only be true for large expansion ratio applications, otherwise faster. Original intent was for small cases, small expansion ratios, but the last 20 years or so the application for RL7 has been migrated to the big cases, big expansion ratios. The formulation therefore has been modified on purpose, and should NOT be considered as lot differences, in general. The newer powder has undergone some deterrent changes to make up for the additional nitroglycerin, and will smell different because. The newer powder is especially good for 45 colt, 44-40, and any 44 through 45 extended pistol cases using 300 grainers at 30K+ CUP. ... felix

Hipshot
04-23-2009, 07:19 PM
My Reloader 7 is only a couple of years old----I used some of it today. There is no other color in the can than medium grey.

Hip

GOPHER SLAYER
04-23-2009, 09:41 PM
I use Reloader 7 in my two groove Springfield with great results. My favorite load is 19 grns. behind the Lyman 311291. I have won many informal matchs with it. It also meters very well. I don't recall ever seeing any colored markers in it,and there are none in the powder I am currently using.

Slow Elk 45/70
04-24-2009, 02:09 AM
OK Guys, I said "Old RL-7" had what they called markers in it. It does, they are small red flakes. I'm talking 20+ years old. So I doubt anyone has a lot of it laying around.The new "Stuff" is as suggested gray/green depending on who is looking at it.

Gunlaker and Felix are correct, Back when I started using this powder, Hercules made it and I'm talking "70's" when it came out , I was using it in the .223, it worked very well, later I started using it in the 30/30 and 45/70, it works very well there also.

As the man says, the new stuff [Alliant] is a bit different , so work up your loads accordingly if you are using new powder and an old reloading manual.
It meters well and is not real dirty so enjoy it and go Shoot.

Marlin Junky
12-20-2012, 03:50 PM
OK Guys, I said "Old RL-7" had what they called markers in it. It does, they are small red flakes. I'm talking 20+ years old. So I doubt anyone has a lot of it laying around.The new "Stuff" is as suggested gray/green depending on who is looking at it.

Gunlaker and Felix are correct, Back when I started using this powder, Hercules made it and I'm talking "70's" when it came out , I was using it in the .223, it worked very well, later I started using it in the 30/30 and 45/70, it works very well there also.

As the man says, the new stuff [Alliant] is a bit different , so work up your loads accordingly if you are using new powder and an old reloading manual.
It meters well and is not real dirty so enjoy it and go Shoot.

I just bought 4, one pound containers of Re7 from an older gentleman that were bottled under the Alliant label and dated May '98. I opened one last night and it contained the red kernels. Gonna compare some "red-spec" Re7 to a new batch of Re7 next week in the 444 (346 grain boolits) and then the '06 (180 grain boolits).

MJ

PineTreeGreen
12-23-2012, 04:00 PM
Bought a new RX7 about a year ago,no colored granuals.
Tried some in myRuger 77/357. Book said 16-19 gr. 16 gr shot pretty good. 18&19 gr were stout.

jhickdog
12-23-2012, 04:17 PM
I have used the "older" RX7 with very good results. I've used it in my .222, 30-30 and .375. Very accurate, but can be a bit stiff in max loads.

41 mag fan
12-23-2012, 04:27 PM
yes that would be for squirrel or limbrat. I had a small speach problem in grade school, and squirrel was the main word I had problem with. came out like sgwirl, so I got fed up with the teasing and just started calling them treerats! wow! I cannot beleive I just shared that! Oh well! latter.

Nothing wrong with sqwirl...thats how I pronounce it!!