PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed

wills
02-21-2006, 04:07 PM
I got this floor jack at an estate sale. This is as high as it will go. I suspect it needs hydraulic fluid. There are four screw looking devices on the cylinder and one thing that looks like a square nut. Where does the hydraulic flluid go, and what kind do I use?

No_1
02-21-2006, 04:42 PM
On the lower picture, just above and to the left of the 4 screws is a place on the side of the cylinder. Try there for fluid. On mine that is a rubber plug. I just pull it out, add oil then stick it back in. Takes a couple of up/down/up/down cycles to get the fluid where air has gotten.
Mine leaks a little around the seal like yours probobly does. Found it is cheaper to add a little every once in a while then to tear it down to replace a special order seal.

StarMetal
02-21-2006, 05:51 PM
Wills,

You use hydraulic cylinder oil. Places like Harbor Freight, Northern Tools, Tractor Supply Co., etc. , should have it. In a pinch you can use brake fluid.

Joe

357tex
02-21-2006, 06:39 PM
Wills
I may not be doing the right thing.But I have used ATF for years in one of mine thats leaks.Its always handy.

David R
02-21-2006, 07:05 PM
Please don't use brake fluid, it will eat up the neoprene seals. ATF or power steering flluid is just fine.

David

wills
02-21-2006, 07:19 PM
Thanks. I may be going to town in a few days, and I will try to find the hydraulic cylinder oil. May be able to get it locally at Ace hardware or one of the farm implement dealers. Either way, no hurry, and the jack was cheap.

Incidentally, I put some motor oil in the air compresser the other day. Will that hurt it?

David R
02-21-2006, 07:51 PM
ATF = High deteregent non foaming 5 wieght oil dyed red

Power Steering fluid = 10 wt non foaming non detergent oil

Compressor oil = 30 wt (SAE 30) non detergent oil.....Whaddya need detergent in a compressor for? It would never hurt the compressor to use motor oil as long as its heavy enough. 5w30 is a little light. 10w40 would be great.

Hydraluic oil = 20wt non detergent oil.

Any will work in your jack. Lighter oil is a little better.

KS1911
02-21-2006, 07:57 PM
Thanks. I may be going to town in a few days, and I will try to find the hydraulic cylinder oil. May be able to get it locally at Ace hardware or one of the farm implement dealers. Either way, no hurry, and the jack was cheap.

Incidentally, I put some motor oil in the air compresser the other day. Will that hurt it?

You can find hydraulic jack oil at most auto parts stores also.

The air compressor oil i believe is supposed to be a straight (like 30W not 5W-30)weight non detergent oil.

carpetman
02-21-2006, 10:50 PM
Wills---In the early 80's I bought a large Ingersoll Rand compressor that had been used in a transmission shop. Ive used motor oil in it ever since and have had no problems. I was hunting and ruined a tire,probably on a mesquite stump. My hydraulic jack wouldn't work. I used a plastic Coke bottle lid and dipped some brake fluid out of the master cylinder(eat your heart out McGyver)and got it working. Ive heard it's not good to use brake fluid---but it beat walking.

wills
02-24-2006, 09:36 PM
Auto supply store had (who'd of thought it) jack oil.