PDA

View Full Version : big daddy of cast bullets

crashawk
04-22-2009, 09:39 AM
a friend brought this over to melt and cast into smaller bullets. it's really soft lead, I know it needs ww to make it hard enough for centerfire stuff or I could use it as is for smokepole shooting. but should I even be melting this thing? would I be better off trading it for ww or selling it to buy ww? anybody know what it actually is?

thanks.
Jason

powderburnerr
04-22-2009, 10:31 AM
What ever it was it is cut for a gas check.............Dean
You can always blend it to get your alloy ,,keep it and melt it..

crashawk
04-22-2009, 10:41 AM
it looks like it uses a big gas check. it was also dropped and the nose deformed a little. that hollow point goes way down in it too. don't know what you would want to shoot with that big of an expanding bullet, I think it would be over kill on ellephants......

Jason

crashawk
04-22-2009, 10:47 AM
oh yeah, this thing weighs about 50 pounds.

markinalpine
04-22-2009, 10:57 AM
...that it might have been a counterweight on the end of some handle or shaft. I saw one on an old piece of industrial equipment in the outside exhibit at Henry Ford's Greenfield Village, that was a control for the shaft of a huge stationary steam engine. The kind that used wide leather belts around the flywheel to power entire shops. This one was waiting for restoration, but they had others inside that were in operation driving an entire workshop with saws, lathes, etc. I was quite young at the time, but I remember being fascinated.
Mark :coffee:

markinalpine
04-22-2009, 10:58 AM
I forgot.:roll:
Melt that sucker! :Fire:
Mark :castmine:

oldhickory
04-22-2009, 11:25 AM
The most "interesting" one I ever got was a pure/near pure lead "ingot" about the diameter of a car wheel and some 9-10" thick. We loaded it into my truck with a fork lift, I managed to get it out onto the ground where I hacked at it with an axe, melted at it with a torch, and cursed it in general until I had it small enough to get it into a 9" cast iron pot to smelt. Use 'er up!:drinks:

deltaenterprizes
04-22-2009, 12:09 PM
Melt it!

M-Tecs
04-22-2009, 12:25 PM
It’s a shield container for radioactive medical materials. At one time it had a nose cap that sealed it. The radioactive source was in separate container. These shield containers never came in contact with the radioactive material and they were inspected before the scraped them out so it’s safe. In the seventies my bother in-law gave me thirty of them. Should be pure lead.

Ancesthntr
04-22-2009, 02:58 PM
The biggest question isn't "what is it?" Nope, the question is "where can your friend get more of these things for you to sell to your buddies on CB?"

crashawk
04-22-2009, 11:02 PM
It's official, I'm gonna melt that bugger. I'll have to give Mike a hard time until he remembers where it came from. now I have to find some more wheel weights to blend it with. I got more wheel weights but my tires have to be balanced or my truck shakes something teeeerrrriiiibbbblllleeee. . . .

thanks for all the input.
Jason