PDA

View Full Version : MasterPot versus RCBS ProMelt

Ron B.
04-22-2009, 08:09 AM
I've been using my RCBS ProMelt for about 5 years now. And, it's beginning to show its age; although, it still melts fine. I'm getting a little tired of its small vat size (20lbs) and how the unit tends to drip. See the photo below; if I let it set for a few minutes, I always have a stack of dribble to remove. I'd made the mistake of actually cleaning the pot several weeks ago. There was no leaking prior to the cleaning. Yes, I tried reversing the dispensing plunger; still leaks.

I've also noticed an irritating leak around the dispensing nozzle joint, beneath the heating element. I tried calling RCBS yesterday; being #19 caller, I opted to hang up.

Question; "Is Magma's MasterPot worth the price tag of $575?" Or, would I do better sticking with my RCBS ProMelt?" I suspect RCBS will send me a new one, should I return mine to Oroville. I intend to regardless.

Thanks! :castmine:
GRB

Springfield
04-22-2009, 12:24 PM
I went from Lee 10 to Lee 20 to another Lee 20. Had a Lyman for a short while also but sold it. Then bought an RCBS Pro Melt in 220, and liked it MUCH more than the LEE's. But I finaly had to buy a Magma 40LB'er just for the capacity. I was using 2 20 lber's, one for casting and one for filling the first pot. After I got the Magma I found it was just a better pot, not even counting the larger capacity. For one, it is 1500 watts, so I don't need the second pot. I just keep chucking ingots in it and it melts them without cooling down much. I like to cast at about 650. Putting in a 1 lb ingot makes it dip about 8 degrees for about a minute, then it comes back up again. 2 ingots and it drops 12 degrees and comes back in about a minute. I can drop in 4 lbs and the spout will still not freeze, I have checked it. The other better thing about the Magma is it comes with either 1 or 2 pour spouts. So if you have a 2 cavity mould you can pour both at the same time. The spouts can be changed in about 2 minutes, just take out 2 screws, replace spigot and re-install 2 screws. This can be done with the pot on and melted, if need be. It also has a spring on the pour nozzle handle, so unless it is REALLY dirty, it doesn't drip. And if it does get dirty, just remove the spigot and clean it out from the BOTTOM. Cool. And it has a real thermostat linked to the pot, unlike the LEE's, so it reflects real temps, so less lag time. But so does the RCBS, one of the things I really liked about it. As to whether it is worth the 575.00, that is personal opinion. If you like the best equiptment, then it is. If you are doing any kind of volume, it helps a great deal. If you like the idea of 2 pour spouts, it is the only one. If you want a pot that is more trouble free and yet is easier to clean when dirty, then it is. It all depends on how much you value your time and convenience and ease of use, and how much frustration you are willing to put up with. After using the Magma for a couple years, I dragged out the RCBS to cast up some pure lead ball as I didn't want to drain the Magma. I won't do that again, next time I'll just drain the pot. When you get used to using nice stuff it is very difficult to go back. It is one of those things where you just don't know what you are missing until you try it. Kinda like using a Star and then having to use anything else.

Dale53
04-22-2009, 01:39 PM
I stopped the dripping spout on both of my RCBS pots with a suggestion from someone on this forum.

I bought a cheap Chinese knock-off "Vise Grip" and clamped it upright to the flat operating lever (at the top at the bend). The extra weight is not really noticed when using the lever but the pot stopped dripping, completely!!

Give the top of the valve rod a "rap" and it should stop dripping for a bit. Then add the vise grip and you should be good to go.

Dale53

Ron B.
04-22-2009, 02:24 PM
Hey Dale!
Believe it, or not; I remember your post!
And, you got some very good suggestions.
At the time, mine was working fine; and I think I wrote so beneath your thread. Anyway, Light rapping helped mine a little. Weight would not. A call to RCBS received a promise of new parts, including a defective pot. Mine always leaked around the spout; up inside the unit. Not much; a drop every now and then. Added with the nozzle, it became very aggrevating.

Thanks for the suggestions however!
GRB

04-23-2009, 12:31 PM
a big yes to what SPRINGFIELS listed execpt i use the magma 90 lb. pot. i stacked up some 6 lb ingot bars for a mold guide and used longer 1/2 " bolts for the legs. i like it.

deltaenterprizes
04-23-2009, 05:23 PM
After 25 years and going through Katrina my nozzle fell out of my Pro Melt, I machined a new one and it is back in business! Glad I only had 7 lbs of lead in it!

targetshootr
04-23-2009, 05:46 PM
OT, I was number 13 when I called RCBS yesterday... and it was same when I called two months ago. I sent them a 44-40 sizer die along with fired cases and since then it seems to have vanished in whatever vortex they're caught up in.