PDA

View Full Version : slugging barrels

sharpshooter79
04-22-2009, 12:38 AM
Howdy Folks,
I have always been confused about this. What is the proper way to slug a barrel to find the proper size projectile for a gun? Thanks!

runfiverun
04-22-2009, 01:15 AM
a pure lead egg shaped fishing weight of the proper diameter or made so by a vice or light hammer whack a bit of oil in the bbl a rod of sufficient strength and a heavier hammer to get it going in the bbl then push it through.
why the fishing sinker you ask cause it has a hole in the middle so there is a place for extra lead to go, and is shaped so it will go in the bbl easily enough.
you can then measure the results.

Wayne Smith
04-22-2009, 12:56 PM
And make sure the rod is brass, bronze, or taped steel. Do not use wood.

Some make two, one of the muzzle and one closer to the breech, I just use one through.

d_striker
04-22-2009, 01:05 PM
And make sure the rod is brass, bronze, or taped steel. Do not use wood.

Some make two, one of the muzzle and one closer to the breech, I just use one through.

Why not use wood?

leftiye
04-22-2009, 02:27 PM
Breaks?

BABore
04-22-2009, 03:05 PM
And usually at an angle so the two pieces get wedged together real good. Visit to the gunsmith good.

I mentioned this to a guy (Mad Russian) over on MarlinOwners back a few years. He decided to listen to somebody else that knew better. His Smith finally got it out.

The hollow egg sinkers are the best route. They come in alot of sizes. They also have a slip sinker for bass rigging that's cone shaped. They work good to. Just make sure they're soft lead cause they do make some hard ones. Clean and lightly lube the bore and sinker, stand the sinker up on the muzzle, and tap it in with a plastic mallet. You'll cut a round ring off and it will be in. Finish it out as mentioned above. If your slugging a levergun, it's also a good idea to pound a second slug flush with the muzzle, then pound it back out from the breech. Compare its diameter with the full pass slug to determine if you have any bore constrictions.

markinalpine
04-22-2009, 03:48 PM
...to slug two pistol and two rifle barrels with no problems. I also used a light weight wooden mallet to tap the end of the dowels just enough to push the well oiled soft lead muzzle-loader ball about an inch into the rifle barrels, and 1/2 inch into the pistol barrels, then reversed the barrel and used the mallet to lightly tap the slug back out. Got good measurements too, and tossed the lead balls into the melting pot afterwards.
By the way, one of the rifles is a Model 1894 Winchester .30-30, and I used a 1/4" diameter wooden dowel, which was flexible enough to pass through the open breech of the rifle and push the slug into the throat of the barrel. You just have to use some finesse, NOT a heavy hammer.
Good luck,
Mark:coffee:

sharpshooter79
04-22-2009, 11:21 PM
Howdy,
Thanks for the replies. When I measure the diameter of the lead, do I measure the rifling grooves or in between them? Thanks!

runfiverun
04-23-2009, 12:11 AM
i just measure the outside diameter as that is the area you are trying to fill.
the minor diameter is good to know if you are gonna paper patch.