PDA

View Full Version : boatload of lead ?

Digger
04-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Just joined up, been a lurker for a while and being a newbie to casting, am having a lot of FUN ! . I want to thank everybody for all the information at hand and great people involved. Anyway thought I would pass this along as I came across it last night on Craigs list...... I used the search feature by entering ... lead metal... and had one response, someone in sonoma Calif. with about " two tons of lead" .... (sail boat keel) . Might help out somebody here on the west coast ? He is talking 60 cents a pound. Thought I would thro this out here for some interesting reading Thanks for now, Digger

Ron B.
04-22-2009, 07:23 AM
Hello Digger!
60 cents a pound sounds like a fair price to me! Work out the details and post it!
By the way, what happened to the sail boat? :)

GRB

Gunslinger
04-22-2009, 01:34 PM
By the way, what happened to the sail boat? :)

GRB

Butchered to salvage the lead I hope :-D

Ancesthntr
04-22-2009, 03:00 PM
You want a boatload of lead? Take a gander at some government surplus sales sites at their metal scrap. I've seen 300,000# at a time up for auction, mostly in the form of steel-encased ballast for HUGE ships (destroyers, cruisers, carriers, etc.).

Wouldn't THAT be an interesting group buy?

vonnieglen
04-22-2009, 03:51 PM
I paid 40 cents a pound the other day at the recycler near my home. I have a mechanic friend that comes through for me with free wheel weights every once in a while. The recycler lets me pick through the weights and pick out the ones that I want. I ended up with 285 pounds. I am worried about how long wheel weight lead is going to be readily available.

Ron B.
04-22-2009, 04:53 PM
Vonn!
Are you the one spreading the rumors; regading primers? :)

GRB

Digger
04-22-2009, 06:22 PM
Hi there GoldenRoyBoy , can"t take advantage of the deal myself , but thought I would spread it out there for maybe somebody who can in that area . He mentions little about dismantling the boat and all thats left is the lead ballast ....also has a dump truck . Contractor maybe? salvage? . Nothing about what happened to the boat. Thanks for the reply.. think I"ll go out to the man cave and wax some boolits Later Digger.

vonnieglen
04-22-2009, 07:11 PM
Vonn!
Are you the one spreading the rumors; regading primers? :)
GRB
Are they going to start making primers out of zinc?