PDA

View Full Version : Dealer transfers

corvette8n
04-20-2009, 04:32 PM
WOW just got back from my local dealer, picked up my group buy lower
He charged me $37.50 for the transfer. I guess this is where he makes his money now that he doesn't have primers or much ammo to sell. He also has about a third of the handguns he usually carries. The last time he did a transfer it was 25.00.
I checked with another shop about 20 miles away and they want $35.00. I guess its back to buying C&R stuff.

Slow Elk 45/70
04-20-2009, 07:11 PM
Hullo Corvette8n, I think we are seeing just what you suggest, they don't have much stock to sell that anyone wants anyway, so they jack up the other prices to keep the doors open. I guess we need them to stay in business, so why don't they apply for the Messiahs bailout program?? Like a failing bank , no? It's only our tax money. Ha.[smilie=1:

I hate to see the little guys go belly up, so will keep supporting them, if we lose them we are in trouble. IMHO:Fire:

oldhickory
04-20-2009, 07:22 PM
Hullo Corvette8n, I think we are seeing just what you suggest, they don't have much stock to sell that anyone wants anyway, so they jack up the other prices to keep the doors open. I guess we need them to stay in business, so why don't they apply for the Messiahs bailout program?? Like a failing bank , no? It's only our tax money. Ha.[smilie=1:

I hate to see the little guys go belly up, so will keep supporting them, if we lose them we are in trouble. IMHO:Fire:

No doubt, Slow Elk. I hate buying from the big boys unless it's on line. There's something soothing about just hanging out at the local gun shop that makes life worth living.:drinks:

FN in MT
04-21-2009, 07:40 PM
I refused to pay a Dealer a "transfer fee" of $25 on a $1050 S&W that I was buying from that same Dealer!!! A CA Dealer. I guess they bend those californians over so much that they have gotten used to it and don't complain.

Took my eleven C notes right out of his hand as well as my buddies FFL. Few minutes later he tracked me down and was willing to waive the fee. Told him he was a Crook and to leave me alone.

The two Shops I use for my purchases do NOT charge me a fee...EVER... for any guns I have shipped to them. Both enjoy my business as well as the extra business I bring their way.

I think some of you guys need to complain a bit or better yet....refuse to pay the fee. Or suggest that it's too high. Takes ten minutes to unpack a box, log in the gun and give the buyer a call. If that.

FN in MT

shotman
04-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Get A ffl you wont have to worry about it

Duckiller
04-21-2009, 11:01 PM
By law CA dealers charge $25.00 for State Dept of Justice and is allowed to charge $5.00 for doing the paper work. DOJ gets its $25.00 no matter what. He cut his price for you and you called him a crook. He may have called the DOJ and found out that he didn't have to pay their fee. If you can unpack a gun and log it in in 10 minutes you are better than most dealers. Come to California and do dealer transfers for $30.00 per hour and put other dealers out of the dealer transfer business. Lots of dealers do it as a courtsey to GOOD customers, not people who call them crooks. There may be no fees in Montana ,but before you buy guns in other states you may want to inquire as to that state's laws for purchasing firearms. As a California resident I can't buy handguns in other states. Dealers in surrounding states know not to give Californian guns. In fact a Colorado dealer told me that his state won't let him sell me a gun unless he sends it to a Calif. FFL.

HeavyMetal
04-22-2009, 12:01 AM
Dealers here take a lot of flak from local and state Gov. about what they do and how they do it.

I haven't checked on an FFL price in a number of years but belive the standard one is up in the 2K range per yr! In CA you must also have a permit to sell concealed weapons to open your door! These are issued by the local PD and, in some cities, these are either not issued or or issued with " conditions"! For example a local "chain" store usually runs a snubby 38 Loss Leader twice a yr. These guns can not be sold in the city of Reseda!

Do I have a problem paying a reasonable price if I want a "special" gun imported ? No because the local dealer still has to deal with the poltical BS to stay in business and I don't!

As long as he is not unreasonable, and remember the 25 fee is the States money just like sales tax he pays even if I don't, and an honest 30 dollars isn't going to kill me particularly if it keeps a favored dealer in business!

Yes I know other states don't have these issues. I also don't have to shovel 10 foot of snow in April ( or December) I can pretty much shoot yr round and the cars live forever because we don't have to salt our roads!

I don't buy a gun a month, heck I haven't bought but one gun in the last 2 yrs!

I'll live with these problems until I win the lottery or retire which ever comes first!

The Double D
04-22-2009, 10:20 AM
If you have never operated a small business, especially in California, I have, then you have no idea what it costs to keep the doors open. Calling a person a crook for trying to conduct business makes me wonder who the crook really is.

Storydude
04-22-2009, 10:26 AM
The great thing about the USA is a person can charge whatever he wants for a service.

Another great thing about the USA is I don't have to pay that price if I do not want to.

Some of these FFL dealers think that making a phonecall and logging a firearm in and out of a book requires a 50 dollar fee.

I feel this service should be 15 dollars. And my FFL agrees.

FN in MT
04-22-2009, 10:33 AM
Duckiller.....I had an FFL in my hand for a MT dealer. He doesn't have to do anything with CA DOJ simply record the transaction in his boundbook. He was already charging me $60 to ship the handgun which is +$10-25 over the normal rate I've paid in the past. Most Dealers will charge anywhere from $25 to $50 to send to my FFL.

FN in MT

Storydude
04-22-2009, 10:37 AM
Get A ffl you wont have to worry about it

Enjoy the visit to club Fed over that one. An FFL is not a private collection license. It is a business license.

01 FFL CANNOT be used to further your own collection. According to the Big Blue Book, if you take a Firearm from your FFL's Bound book, you must...MUST transfer it to yourself using a 4473.

Oh and FFL price is 600 bucks for 3 years.

The Double D
04-22-2009, 12:26 PM
An 01 Dealer FFL is only $200 for three years.

mtnman31
04-22-2009, 01:33 PM
I had a dealer in NC who wanted to charge me a 25$ transfer fee then add an additional percentage of the gun's value. I don't recall what the percentage was but it doesn't matter anyway - how is he to know what I paid for the gun? The "value of the gun" is very subjective. I think it is just a way for him to encourage you buy guns off his shelf. Sorry, but he didn't stock what interests me. I don't need a shiny new deer rifle, I want an old milsurp.
Needless to say, I found another dealer. I now have a dealer who doesn't charge me dime, though I usually drop a few greenbacks towards the Lions Club as a donation and thank you. He is a board member and the Lions Club has some good civic programs where he lives.