PDA

View Full Version : New to casting

Denny Lattis
04-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Been relaoding for 30 years and have decided to start casting my own I am going to start with the 44 because most my guns are that caliber.

I am thinking of getting the Lyman starter kit anyone got any recommendations or ideas I am just beginning and have not purchased anything yet.

Huntducks
04-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Danny

This is what I use, I have a RCBS Lube A Matic, a Lee producton lead pot and an assortment of Moulds from H&G, Lee, Lyman, and RCBS and a couple of no names, I DO NOT melt any WW lead linotype or tin in the lee pot, I have a seperate cast iron pot on top of a plumbing set up for lead.

IMHO the RCBS & H&G moulds are the best by far as long as there heated I can't cast a bad bullet in either.

I take RCBS darn near every time because of there warrenty and service.

putteral
04-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Welcome to the forum. Great bunch of guys here and you will learn a lot. Got to have a cast iron pot, preferrably a 6 qt dutch oven, holds quite a bit of lead. Also if you can find a good source for wheel weights,etc you will be on your way. Once you start you are doomed.
:drinks:

MtGun44
04-20-2009, 08:22 PM
Read Lyman's casting book. Full of great info, builds a good starting knowledge
base. If you run into problems, sing out. Folks around here are real friendly, well
mostly, and eager to help.

Bill

webby4x4
04-20-2009, 08:34 PM
Been relaoding for 30 years and have decided to start casting my own I am going to start with the 44 because most my guns are that caliber.

I am thinking of getting the Lyman starter kit anyone got any recommendations or ideas I am just beginning and have not purchased anything yet.

I'm a big Lyman and RCBS fan too (esp. RCBS for their fantastic service), but I have to say... I've switched to the Lee 20# pot and the Lee molds for their price, and LOVE them. I took the money I saved and bought a scale, and a die set. :)

If you're on a tight budget, I would really look to Lee's products. Also, like other's said... Casting is VERY addictive. It's now my favorite part of the entire reloading process.

P.S. Be sure to flux well, and flux often!

Rick

Denny Lattis
04-21-2009, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the information Lots to consider. I was wondering if a mold for a 44 covers all handguns pretty much like a 240 to 250 grain