PDA

View Full Version : Magnaport and cast.

looseprojectile
04-20-2009, 11:28 AM
I got a #1 Ruger in .375 H&H magnum at the local funshow Saturday.
As I dont need a Tyranusaurus Rex killer, I have equiped myself with a mould for a plain base 280ish grain boolit.
I have read somewhere that it is not a good thing to use cast boolits in a Magnaported gun. Is this BS or is there really some danger here? This gun has various slots, near the muzzle, some even in the tops of the lands. The rifle has a 24 inch barrel and I could cut two inches off if necessary.
You all know that I will shoot it with these cast boolits, just to see for myself, though I would like to hear of anyones experiences with Magnaported guns.

Life is good

runfiverun
04-20-2009, 12:24 PM
you might get some lead in the ports.
clean them if you do.

Slinger
04-20-2009, 02:40 PM
I got a #1 Ruger in .375 H&H magnum at the local funshow Saturday.
As I dont need a Tyranusaurus Rex killer, I have equiped myself with a mould for a plain base 280ish grain boolit.
I have read somewhere that it is not a good thing to use cast boolits in a Magnaported gun. Is this BS or is there really some danger here? This gun has various slots, near the muzzle, some even in the tops of the lands. The rifle has a 24 inch barrel and I could cut two inches off if necessary.
You all know that I will shoot it with these cast boolits, just to see for myself, though I would like to hear of anyones experiences with Magnaported guns.

Life is good

That's pure BS!!!! I have shot Mag-na-ported handguns & rifles since back in the Late 1970s. And not just 50 or 100 rounds a year. I've shot more like hundreds of thousands of rounds thru my guns which are and were many. The pressure of the gases escaping thru the ports tend to clean them out, mostly because of the design of the port and the process used to "cut " the ports into the barrel. There are no sharp edges to shave the lead or copper. Anyone tells you any different, they're full of sh--t!!. Plain & simple.

looseprojectile
04-20-2009, 02:50 PM
That's what I thought. Thank you very much.

Life is good

Slinger
04-20-2009, 03:14 PM
I should say that what I said in my reply only applies to the MAG-NA-PORT done in Michigan. If it not them doing the work, I can't say you won't have problems. Mag-na-Port used & still does, trapezoidal ports. One or two on each side. Go to their website to see what they look like if you're not familiar with them.. If it was some gunsmith who did it and drilled or machines holes or slots in the bore, you might have problems.

kidmma
04-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Just be carefull eveyone else stands behind you no matter what bullet you shoot. It will throw stuff. I caught some..... :(

I was sitting at the next bench.

MtGun44
04-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Slinger,

I would suggest that you work a bit on your manners. This sort of swearing and
"I'm right and know all the answers" and disparaging any other possible information
even before someone has posted it, is not appreciated. We are all friends and want
to be friendly here.

Please.

Bill

No_1
04-20-2009, 08:23 PM
I agree with the swearing. If you are conscious enough to dash out some of the letters so the word appears less undesirable then you are bright enough to choose another word.

Robert

Slinger,

I would suggest that you work a bit on your manners. This sort of swearing and
"I'm right and know all the answers" and disparaging any other possible information
even before someone has posted it, is not appreciated. We are all friends and want
to be friendly here.

Please.

Bill

Slinger
04-21-2009, 02:07 PM
Well, I never meant to offend anybody, but I did. Apologies to those I offended. I should've known to just keep my mouth shut, which I will from now on. I'll ask questions related to casting, because "I Don't Know It All", but that's it. I'll keep my opinions/experience to myself. Again I extend my apologies.

canuck4570
04-21-2009, 02:39 PM
I had it done on a 458 winchester model 70
kik was almost the same but little muzzle rise
no leading in port but the sight got dirty from escaping gazes
accuracy was unchange
in short liked it a lot.....
forgot most important you don't have a muzzle blast like a muzzle brake.....

454PB
04-21-2009, 10:26 PM
In my only ported gun (Taurus RB .454), the ports tend to get a coating of boolit lube, but it's easily removed.

Glen
04-21-2009, 11:06 PM
I have gotten very good accuracy using GC cast bullets in Magnaported Contenders. However, I have not gotten them to shoot plain-based cast bullets worth a hoot. I suspect that the PB bullets' bases are getting etched as they pass the ports, and eventually they end up wobbling after they leave the muzzle.

As for ported guns "being unsafe to shoot with cast bullets" JD Jones reported a number of years ago that his pet .375 JDJ barrel (or maybe it was a .45-70, I forget) had split on him, from the ports forward to the muzzle, when he was down in Australia "shooting varmints" back in the 90s. As I recall, he attributed it to many, many years of shooting cast bullets in it with soft lead hitting the forward face of the port, eventually stressing it to the point of cracking it. He retired that barrel (with much regret). I still shoot lead in mine, and doubt I'll ever have a problem (JD shoots A LOT).

blackthorn
04-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Slinger:--No one who is familiar with this site would even suggest that your opinions and/or experience would be in any way unwelcome. We all, at some point will have something to add that will be of assistance to others. We have a wide range of people here from old folks (like me) to kids just beginning to find enjoyment in our hobby. We also have several women and many people who are quite religious. This site prides itself on being suitable for all family members. All that is asked of you or anyone else for that matter is that you express your opinions and share your knowledge in words that respect the sensibilities of others. Have a great day.

odoh
04-22-2009, 06:07 PM
I managed to get a small amount of ball powder buried in my right cheek that to my way of thinking had to ricochet out of the port ~ donno where else it could've come from as it was an FA 83 w/tight tolerances and one would think the particles would've pretty much have settled down before full recoil ~ I was the only one to shoot at the time. Happened once, hope it never happens again ~ I've since had factory to rebarrel it, not because of the experience, and didn't see the value of the the MP on top of the rebarrelling costs so went w/unported barrel. Still carry the bluish/grey dot on my face.