PDA

View Full Version : Syracuse, NY Spring Gun show

BD
04-19-2009, 09:33 PM
I went to the gun show at the state fairgrounds this afternoon. It was basically the same show as the fall one. Pretty much the same vendors in the same spots.

It's a good show for older stuff. I looked over a case of lugers and one of broomhandle mausers. some nice 03-A3s, many overpriced M-1 30 carbines. A hand full of Colt SAAs. They had a MG-41 on display with one of the curved barrel extentions and prismatic sight for shooting around corners and over the tops of the trenches on the Russian front. I'd never seen one of those before.

Plenty of ammo for sale. One guy had cases of wolf .223, 500 rounds for $180.00. The same guy had primers that had them in the fall. I thought they were high last fall at $30/1,000, now he wants $60!! I was kinda looking for small rifle primers as I only have a few thousand with me in NY. He had one brick of 1,000 Rem 7 1/2s and he wanted $75.00 for it!

Not as many black rifles, although there were some. A bunch of stripped lower receivers with names on them I never heard of. I was kinda looking for a lower parts kit so I could get the .450B going, and one guy had the DPMS packaged lower parts kits. I had my wallet out and was ready to buy one when he told me they were $100!, I passed (they're about $56 from Midway or Brownells). Another guy told me he'd "put one together" for me for $70 and started pulling parts out of various used parts bins, I passed on that as well.

The only things that really tempted me were a blued Marlin 444s @ $550, and a Winchester M94 in 32 special for $695, but I resisted. If they're back in the fall I may relapse and bring home my first lever gun. All in all it was a pleasant afternoon. Lots of guns, not much of any T-shirts or other BS crapola. A couple of clean ammo cans and one box of noslers were all that came home with me.

BD

Tom Herman
04-20-2009, 12:29 AM
There were lots of black guns going in, lots of outrageous price tags on stuff (I saw the same thing with M1 carbine's here, too). There were zero primers, the powder guy had a fraction of what he normally has, and what's there was what nobody wants.
I did see a Brazilian version of the S&W M1917, but someone cut down the barrel and put a hokey front sight on it.
I bought a book on the 1863 rifled musket, and walked out. I'll let the cookie jar fund continue to increase until I see something I like, or run into a pile of primers and powder.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

cabezaverde
04-20-2009, 10:46 AM
The Syracuse show is one I have been going to for a number of years. I have never seen it so crowded.

For a guy that doesn't like guns, that Obama is one heck of a gun salesman.