PDA

View Full Version : "I.D.ing" pewter

Bill*
04-19-2009, 04:18 PM
After reading about it here, I went off today on a crusade for pewter to obtain the tin in it. I have a few pieces (beer tankard type things) that have a stamp on the bottom resembling a crowned shield enclosing the letters "TBR" or similar- hard to read as they run together as one. Anyway, does anyone have a "quick & dirty" test such as putting a drop of something on it and looking for foaming,color change, whatever? In other words---how the heck do you tell if it's pewter for sure rather than zinc, aluminum, or some other unwanted contaminant? Thanx in advance for any tips......Bill :confused:

hoosierlogger
04-19-2009, 08:02 PM
I am also awaiting an answer on this one, as I have been wondering the same thing.

cabezaverde
04-19-2009, 08:46 PM
I was wondering the same thing the other day.

Shiloh
04-19-2009, 08:55 PM
Pewter is a lot softer than zinc or aluminum.

There are alloys that beer steins are made of that keep beverages real cold. Who knows what it is. Could be Britannia metal. Britannia metal is tin, antimony, and copper, but MAY contain zinc. There is no mistaking it for real pewter though. It is harder and to me, seems "waxy" Vessels made for culinary use are very high tin with a little antimony in it. Often called English Pewter.

Italian Pewter is tin with a definite lead content. It will vary. This pewter is a darker gray color than English Pewter. Vases, candelabra's, decorative pitchers, ewers and urns are made of it. Can't have lead if it is to be used for food.

Shiloh

Shiloh
04-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Pewter is a lot softer than zinc or aluminum.

There are alloys that beer steins are made of that keep beverages real cold. Who knows what it is. Could be Britannia metal. Britannia metal is tin, antimony, and copper, but MAY contain zinc. There is no mistaking it for real pewter though. It is harder and to me, seems "waxy" Vessels made for culinary use are very high tin with a little antimony in it. Often called English Pewter.

Italian Pewter is tin with a definite lead content. It will vary. This pewter is a darker gray color than English Pewter. Vases, candelabra's, decorative pitchers, ewers and urns are made of it. Can't have lead if it is to be used for food.

Shiloh

sheepdog
04-19-2009, 10:34 PM
how the heck do you tell if it's pewter for sure rather than zinc, aluminum, or some other unwanted contaminant? :

Cause pewter melts at low temperature (low to mid 200s). Zinc around high 700s, aluminum... you'll never get there. If it bends with your hand but don't want to spring back than its likely pewter.

softpoint
04-20-2009, 12:32 AM
I have some stuff here that I bought at a pawn shop that was advertized as pewter that I ruined a 20# pot of melt with. And it DID melt at about 650-700 degrees. It turned the melt into a mealy mix with a lot color swirls on the top. It wouldn't come out the bottom spout either.
There was a thread here the other day on this, I think. Some of the metal is a zinc alloy that looks like pewter and melts at a lower temperature than zinc. Try melting it and mixing it in a very small quantity first, would be the only way I would know to tell....:cbpour:

Bill*
04-20-2009, 09:00 PM
well.... I guess my first foray was a bust. I couldn't melt a tiny corner of the mugs with a propane torch. Also, the bowl was marked "Wilton Armatele" and their website makes me think it's aluminum based. At least now I know what NOT to look for:mrgreen:. Maybe next weekend will be better. Maybe this post will bump this to the top and someone else will have an idea[smilie=1:

sheepdog
04-21-2009, 11:52 AM
well.... I guess my first foray was a bust. I couldn't melt a tiny corner of the mugs with a propane torch. Also, the bowl was marked "Wilton Armatele" and their website makes me think it's aluminum based. At least now I know what NOT to look for:mrgreen:. Maybe next weekend will be better. Maybe this post will bump this to the top and someone else will have an idea[smilie=1:

Mugs with plastic in the bottom are crap. The ones with the lions on the bottom are crap. If you wrap you hand around the mouth of the mug should give with a hefty squeeze. If its marked India likely not pewter. China tends to be where I see alot of pewter from.
Pewter can't really be IDed by sight though unless marked. Too much silver or pewter plated stuff out there thats either brass or steel underneath. Also pewter can range from a blue tint (if it has alot of lead) to a orange tint (copper/iron added). Keep in mind pewter will never be as pure as solder or bar tin.

captaint
04-21-2009, 04:40 PM
I mentioned somewhere here today that I just recently bought 5-6 lbs of pewter. I got it at a thrift store (recommended by somebody here). I did not buy anything that did not say "pewter" on the bottom. Sheffield pewter, English pewter, whatever. But it all had pewter of some sort stamped on the bottom.

rickomatic
04-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Bingo!! Ding Ding Ding.....we have a winna!!

It MUST say "Pewter" on the bottom. Otherwise it's either #1 a crapshoot, or #2 definately NOT pewter. The only stuff I buy has it clearly stamped on the bottom.
Oh...and I've also smelted a couple mugs with plastic bottoms. They said Pewter on the bottom. Others that were not marked stayed on the shelves.