PDA

View Full Version : not to smart

bisley45
02-20-2006, 09:20 AM
this might seem dumb to some of you but I no nothing of picture taken how do you guys get the close ups of your boolits I have a Kodak z740 5 megapixel
any thought would be a help sure would like to show of some of my new boolits

Wayne Smith
02-20-2006, 09:32 AM
Get your manual and look up "Macro" picture taking. This should be the term they use. Unless someone here has the same camera we can't tell you how to do it on yours.

wills
02-20-2006, 10:44 AM
For what it's worth, the finepix has a kind of pictogram of a flower, on one of the buttons which indicates macro setting. That means it takes close up pictures when that button is activated. Other camera makers may/may not use a similar pictogram.

versifier
02-20-2006, 02:23 PM
I use a miniature tripod that extends between 7-10", that really helps a lot too on the macro setting.

Junior1942
02-20-2006, 02:38 PM
Make sure you find your camer's low quality setting, too. Megapixel photos are great for printing hard copies but awful for Internet use. People on dial-up connections won't download them because it takes too long.

Scrounger
02-20-2006, 02:39 PM
I use a miniature tripod that extends between 7-10", that really helps a lot too on the macro setting.

I do that too sometimes. The whole key to getting good pictures is not moving the camera. I use the 10 second delay shutter. Put it on the tripod, line up the shot and focus it, push the shutter (on delay), then get my shaking hands away from the camera.

drinks
02-20-2006, 04:59 PM
Don't foget to use the editor program to crop all the unnecessary part of the picture, you can also reduce the bit count with the resize feature.

GLL
02-20-2006, 06:10 PM
All of the info presented is good stuff. I feel you should take the MACRO photo at high resolution, crop, resize, and THEN lower the resolution for the web. If your camera allows you to choose speed and f-stop settings you can reduce the need for a tripod.

This photo was taken with an old 4.0 Meg Canon.

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/CA31CDAE474CB6D/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/BD88AD7A19EE4B9/standard.jpg

MTWeatherman
02-20-2006, 07:21 PM
GLL:

Terrific pictures...and bullets too!

I'll agree with you on taking pictures at the highest resolution...cropping...and then downsizing for the internet. That guarantees the best picture. You may not need to do much, if any, downsizing after cropping that way. Make sure they are .jpg...don't send .bmp.

As Junior said, you never want to send high resolution pictures over the internet unless someone on the receiving end needs them (like for printing, editing, etc.) and says so. The general rule is 640X480...no higher than 800X600. If they are higher resolution than that, the download time may become excessive and unless someone has scaling software in their picture viewer, they'll likely be scrolling around the screen to see the full picture (most don't have their monitor resolution above 1024X768 which is less than a 1 megapixel picture) .

Dale53
02-20-2006, 10:09 PM
GLL;
Excellent photos. I am a photographer and know one when I see one :razz:

Excellent bullets, also.

Dale53

GLL
02-21-2006, 11:50 AM
MTWeatherman & Dale53:

Thank you.

Actually I am a geologist who owns an old Canon digital camera ! :) :)

Jerry

Dale53
02-21-2006, 12:19 PM
GLL;
>>>Actually I am a geologist who owns an old Canon digital camera ! <<<

Your pictures prove that you can be a geologist and STILL be a photographer :razz:

My main camera is a Canon 20D DSLR, but I made my first magazine cover with a Canon 4mp G3. "It AIN'T the equipment!" It's the operator...just like shooting

Dale53