PDA

View Full Version : Hot weather lube

SciFiJim
04-18-2009, 07:22 PM
Where I live in California the summer days can get to 100*+. What the sun shines on can get even hotter. What is a good lube for those conditions?

Trey45
04-18-2009, 07:39 PM
Have you tried white label lube 2500?

mooman76
04-18-2009, 07:40 PM
I use Rooster Red. It is a good all around lube and allot of others here recommend Carnuba Red. I think it is probably about the same. Check out Lars45 at the bottom of the page. He sells them at a great price too!

Down South
04-18-2009, 08:38 PM
You didn’t say what you were lubing for but overall for those weather conditions I’d recommend Lar’s Carnauba Red. There is a link at the bottom of the page for Lar45's.

Duckiller
04-19-2009, 12:20 AM
Recommend Lars Carnuba Red. Have used Javalina but it would melt in the summer heat. Stayed on boolit, but it is messy. Bullshop's speed green lube is also supposed to be good in heat. At reasonable outside temps. Carnuba Red needs some heat. Tried to use my wife's hair drier but it died. Got the cheapest drier I could find at Wally World. Works fine takes about 15 minutes to get everything to a working temp. Have no idea what that might be just keep heating and trying boolits until lube flows . Then I periodicly hit it with another 5 minutes of heat to take a break.

SciFiJim
04-19-2009, 09:47 AM
I will be using it for .45 acp, .40 s&w, and .357mag for a lever rifle. There's not grass at the range so even the ground gets hot. Setting the range bag on the ground or table will warm the ammo. I suppose I could get a small ice chest to store it in at the range. In cooler weather I lay stuff out on the table. In the summer anything made of metal will get hot to the touch.

Dale53
04-19-2009, 10:09 AM
I had a serious problem with NRA 50/50 in years past but only under super heated conditions. However, once is enough.

I now use Lars White Label Red Carnauba as it has a considerably higher melting temperature. It requires heat for my Star lube/sizer but that is not a problem - I use the Lyman flat heater (drilled and tapped from Lyman for all of the major lube sizers) and added a rheostat to control the temperature (which I find important).

In my Schuetzen shooting, I used a lube which melts at a lower temperature. I keep my pre-lubed bullets (I breech seat the bullets) in a cooler. I don't need any ice, etc, but just keep it in the cooler to take advantage of the insulation. Overnight in the van, with the drop in the temperature, the cooler is "cool" for the next day. No need for ice...

Dale53

SciFiJim
04-19-2009, 10:51 AM
How does Lars White Label Red Carnauba work as a cool weather lube? Can I use this year round or will I need to switch to a different lube during the cooler months? It doesn't get very cold here, only down to freezing at night two or three times a year.

Dale53
04-19-2009, 11:11 AM
I haven't had any problem with Red Carnauba in cool weather. I have not used it to hunt in below zero temperatures but would NOT expect any problem whatsoever. It is not a super hard lube but just a bit harder with a higher melting temperature than NRA 50/50. We are NOT talking a radical difference here, just a bit of "fine tuning" over 50/50.

Of course, that is just MY opinion...

Dale53

Shiloh
04-19-2009, 11:13 AM
I use BAC Exclusively. My buddy uses Carnauba Red exclusively. It gets hot and sweaty in the upper midwest in summer and brutal cold in winter. Beautiful springs and falls. It has to be in the high 20's for me to go out in the winter. Otherwise the wind and cold makes your eyes water up

He swears by Carnauba Red, I love the BAC. Neither seem to be affected by the cold. Neither of us shoot in brutal cold weather though.

Shiloh

Duckiller
04-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Jim: you should have no problem with Carnauba Red in any cool weather you may have. I have used it in 30/06 and 7.5 Swiss as well as .38, .357, .44 and .45 and have had no problems. winter or summer. If you are inland your summer heat is truely impressive. Storing ammo in a small cooler is probably a good idea.

SciFiJim
04-19-2009, 03:21 PM
Duckiller, I live about an hour north of Bakersfield. There is a span of 30 days (mid July to mid August) when the average high temp is 99*, which means that a lot are over that. Anything left in the sun can get too hot to handle.