PDA

View Full Version : Ranch Dog Molds

Cowboy5780
04-18-2009, 04:15 PM
Looks like RDM is closing I know were not supposed to post links here but i feel this is important. Click here http://ranchdogmolds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=326 is a bad day for us levergun guys

Ranch Dog
04-21-2009, 07:36 PM
Cowboy... It is not totally a bad day as I sure will have more time for more casting, loading, and shooting!

It is a good day because my customers have cause Lee Precision to see the value of catering to the leveraction shooter. I spoke with Mr. Lee and he is interested in seeing the Ranch Dog designs on the pages of his catalog, no more special orders or tracking the designs down. Bullet molds that you can order through ANY Lee dealer.

That is all I wanted when I started this business. I wanted to simply show the need for a bullet specifically designed for hunting big game in the various levergun calibers.

The only thing you might consider is letting Lee know you like my designs and would like to see them continued.

gon2shoot
04-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Michael, you've done a lot of good work and I hate to see you give it up.
Hope you get a chance to enjoy shooting again for a while.

azrednek
04-21-2009, 08:25 PM
Michael have you considered having somebody else manufacture the molds?? Have you seen any of the posts surrounding Mihec's molds?

I know exactly about the time involved running a business. When I started a uniform business and took guns on. Not that I wanted to sell guns that I enjoyed collecting and shooting but I needed to compete with other uniform dealers after LEO business that sold guns and ammo to attract police business. Guns, reloading and everything involved became merchandise to me. I didn't shoot, reload and barely spent anytime hunting for five years. My personal guns all suffered from neglect.

When I closed the business's doors it was like losing a hundred pounds off of my chest. I re-discovered shooting, reloading and got into casting with both feet. I have a few regrets but all of a sudden having time to enjoy life again meant much more than the extra money I earned.

thenaaks
04-21-2009, 08:43 PM
I agree with azredneck...hook up with mihec, let him manufacture and ship, you make a few bucks, and your molds are still available, perhaps better quality than lee from what I've heard about mihec's products. Sounds like a perfect arrangement!

SciFiJim
04-21-2009, 08:54 PM
Michael,
When we contact Lee about having your designs in their catalog, do we refer to them as "Ranch Dog" molds or something else?

Ranch Dog
04-21-2009, 09:03 PM
Guys, I'm going to stick with Lee but thanks for the ideas. SciFi, the molds will be refered to as the Ranch Dog's!

zardoz
04-21-2009, 10:46 PM
Ranch Dog:

Will those smaller auto-loading pistol designs (32ACP, 380 Auto) in development be available from Lee as well?

Ranch Dog
04-21-2009, 11:14 PM
Ranch Dog:

Will those smaller auto-loading pistol designs (32ACP, 380 Auto) in development be available from Lee as well?

I'm going to run them through some testing and hopefully convince Lee of the need for an effect Semi-Auto personal defense bullet.

I also will be working on a bullet for the 218 Bee/219 Zipper, 41 Rem and 45 Colt. These will follow my other rifle bullets in design. 6pt Sika just sent Tom Myers a chamber cast of the 338 Marlin Express so I will be following up on that caliber also.

BCall
04-21-2009, 11:40 PM
Man, there were 5 boolits I was looking forward to, the 25 cal for the 25-20, the 25 for the 25 auto, the 32 acp one, the 380 acp one, and the one you mentioned for the 218 Bee-my personal dream. I sure hope thay get made somewhere. Thanks, Billy

jdgabbard
04-22-2009, 01:09 AM
Yeah, you had a nice .358 boolit I was gonna order from you in the coming months for loading in my wheel gun. But its nice to know you'll be able to do some more shooting. Hopefully Lee starts carrying those designs. I want one bad, only haven't been able to afford it as of late.

jameslovesjammie
04-22-2009, 05:16 AM
Michael,

Are you still going to be getting in the shipment of 311-165's you were planning on having this summer? If not I'll wait until it becomes a fully cataloged item.

James

qajaq59
04-22-2009, 07:01 AM
Smart move. Now you can go play with your own cast bullets and relax.
Best of luck

blackthorn
04-22-2009, 10:56 AM
Retirement is great! Enjoy yours for many years to come. Best of luck.

Ranch Dog
04-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Man, there were 5 boolits I was looking forward to, the 25 cal for the 25-20, the 25 for the 25 auto, the 32 acp one, the 380 acp one, and the one you mentioned for the 218 Bee-my personal dream. I sure hope thay get made somewhere. Thanks, Billy

Billy,

I will continue my work on each and everyone of those bullets. I've been so busy packing boxes that I haven't been able to shoot out the TLC258-80-RF (http://www.ranchdogmolds.com/TLC25880RF/) (for the 25-20) along with it's brother the TLC313-115-RF (http://www.ranchdogmolds.com/TLC313115RF/). The TL256-57RF (http://www.ranchdogmolds.com/TL25657RF/) and TL358-125-RF (http://www.ranchdogmolds.com/TL358125RF) (not to be confused with my TL356-135-RF (http://www.ranchdogmolds.com/TL356135RF) for the 9mm Luger) trial molds have yet to arrive yet but I'm very interesting in seeing these designs through!

I've got some preliminary work done on the Bee but need to get back to the drawing board to see it through. Got to get this inventory out the door to work on it. Expect to see some changes to my web site as I move to supporting my designs vs. selling them. I might also run some group buys to support these not yet marketed designs while Lee continues to work toward filling the demand that is being placed on their manufacturing capability.

Ranch Dog
04-22-2009, 12:32 PM
Michael,

Are you still going to be getting in the shipment of 311-165's you were planning on having this summer? If not I'll wait until it becomes a fully cataloged item.

James

James,

I cancelled the order as it was still about nine months out. I wish I had a thousand of them as it was my fastest selling bullet!

jdgabbard
04-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Ranch Dog, I got your PM. However its giving me the following error message.

1. Ranch Dog has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove Ranch Dog from the recipient list and send the message again.

Got an email you'd like me to get you at? Just send me a PM with how you want me to contact you.

jforwel
04-22-2009, 03:08 PM
I had been meaning to get a mould from Ranch Dog for my .35 Rem Marlin some time in the future after I get more experience with revolver casting. Good thing I saw this thread and went ahead and ordered the mould last week. Just came in the mail today, very fast.

Thanks Ranch Dog.

geargnasher
04-22-2009, 10:41 PM
I was looking to buy several RD moulds in the future, looks like I missed the boat! I'm not in a hurry, what is the best way to contact Lee Precision with my encouragement to bring the whole line into regular production?

Gear

Heavy lead
04-22-2009, 10:46 PM
Well, when I heard about RD going out, I quickly ordered two .359190 grain RF I'd been putting off, arrived today, and I ordered this Monday morning. Had a nice handwritten Thank You Stephen on the Pay Pal receipt. I casted a bunch up tonight and they look like they will be a fine boolit for the 35 Remington and heavy's in the .357 handgun, spot on at .359.
Thanks RD for the good service and hope you enjoy retirement from running the business. Get back to what you enjoy. I'm sure these will shoot like a house afire.

looseprojectile
04-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Thanks for all you have done for cast bullets. Also thanks for the great service.
I expect that the price on my Ranch dog moulds will double and triple as they become collector items[smilie=1:. Did I say I really like your designs?
Enjoy your extra spare time.

Life is good

HiVelocity
04-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Michael-

I can appreciate you're retiring but I think we all know that Lee won't jump into the bullet research like you do.

I don't think they can appreciate all the work you've done like we all have. I hope Mr. Lee keeps your phone number handy when he starts hitting the snags you used to. Hmmmm, keep you on retainer maybe?

Good Luck,

HiVelocity in SC
:drinks:

Suo Gan
05-27-2010, 03:30 PM
It is a good day because my customers have cause Lee Precision to see the value of catering to the leveraction shooter. I spoke with Mr. Lee and he is interested in seeing the Ranch Dog designs on the pages of his catalog, no more special orders or tracking the designs down. Bullet molds that you can order through ANY Lee dealer.

If this is true it truly is a good day! Hope they come in 6 cavities!!