PDA

View Full Version : What's going on here pics...?

doghawg
04-18-2009, 04:14 PM
I tried out some of the new Lyman 358477's cast with WW's with just a little tin. They were sized to .358" in a Star and lubed with BAC. I loaded two loads...some with 9 gr. of Blue Dot and some with 12 gr. of 2400. They were shot from a 586 Smith and a FA Mod 97. Velocity came out a little higher than expected or really wanted with both loads......Just under 1300 fps in the Smith and a little over out of the Freedom. Leading wasn't too bad and accuracy was only fair. My next try with this bullet and lube will be at 1050 to 1100 fps.
What do you casting vets make of the cooked lube ribbons? A normal thing with soft lube?

RayinNH
04-18-2009, 06:53 PM
I don't know what to make of it. I use 50/50 alox beeswax lube. I don't consider it a hard lube, and I've never gotten that kind of thing happening. It looks like about half of your casings have the lube clingon. You would certainly think that that would be blown clear upon firing. Sorry for the non help...Ray

Storydude
04-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Stop using the fired cases as Kake Kutters :mrgreen:

Really, I'm at a loss.

Heavy lead
04-18-2009, 07:50 PM
I use BAC for most everything and like it much. I have on rare occasions with what I deemed later to be too light a load experienced this same thing. Never seemed to hurt accuracy, but I believe what happened looking at the fired case is the crimp upon firing did not open up as usual with a higher pressure load and scraped some of the lube. Now this is all conjecture, but I've seen it happen. Odd thing is what you descibe is you should be running plenty high enough pressure to not experience what I did.
I was shooting 45 Colt with only 8 grains of Unique with too tight a crimp.
Good Luck

jdgabbard
04-18-2009, 08:30 PM
I've noticed a few light loads that do something similar, though not as bad. I think what I determined mine was is: that the crimp wasn't completely straightening out and was just shaving some of the lube from the grooves. But that is not scientific. Its a un-educated guess.

HeavyMetal
04-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Possibly do a little deburring on the case mouth?

I also think this is boolit being draged on by the un opened crimp.

Perhaps size to .359 in the next batch?

runfiverun
04-18-2009, 09:17 PM
yhe 2 posts above have it.

doghawg
04-18-2009, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the responses gentlemen. Since the "shavings" are paper thin and leading was minor that explanation makes sense. The crimp may have been a little excessive. I don't have a .359" sizer die but the .358's can't be pushed through the throats in either gun so.......

One more question.....I remember reading somewhere that this bullet does best in most .357's with lighter loads. Does anyone have an opinion on that??

Thanks

Gohon
04-18-2009, 11:06 PM
Leading is usually caused by failure of the lube or the bullet not bumping up. The crimp won't completely iron out until the base of the bullet reaches the crimp area, so if you were getting leading with just WW and a little tin I would suspect failure of the lube. In your case not so much failure of the lube but maybe a lack lube if the crimp was to heavy and pulled most of the lube behind the bullet. Just a thought.............

StarMetal
04-18-2009, 11:27 PM
You fellows ever think that the crimp is spring back memory after the pressure has subsided??????

Joe

44man
04-19-2009, 12:42 AM
You fellows ever think that the crimp is spring back memory after the pressure has subsided??????

Joe
Joe, I only see signs of crimp left when I shoot too soft a boolit. I tried 50-50, heat treated and even though I had no leading with the final batch I shot and some of the group was tight, I had too many fliers.
Harder boolits straighten the brass nicely.
Doghawg, did you water drop and let the boolits age harden? If not, try it and see what that does.

jforwel
04-19-2009, 01:35 AM
Before I started casting my own I had the same problem with Leadheads Keith boolits. They are very hard and my .41 magnum loads were fairly stout. Just the opposite of what's being talked about here. I have not experienced it with any other caliber or boolit. ???

runfiverun
04-19-2009, 11:37 AM
i use that same boolit from straight ww's and found the best accuracy was in the 800 fps range with little to no crimp i just neck sized the brass and didn't crimp it there is a ton of bearing surface.
i could hit 1-1/2" in square hangers 5 out of 6 with it at 60' with the wesson for a good part of the day.
and i am a rifle/shotgun guy.

doghawg
04-19-2009, 04:14 PM
[QUOTE
Doghawg, did you water drop and let the boolits age harden? If not, try it and see what that does.[/QUOTE]

Am still a rookie caster but water dropping is next on the list of adventures. I have some lino but it seems a waste to use it for plinking loads. Water dropping should take the BHN up to 20 or so as I understand.

MtGun44
04-19-2009, 06:20 PM
I've had the same sort of thing with light loads - basically the lube fills in the
chamber ahead of the brass until it is pinched off as the boolit hits the
throat - means you are getting good lube pressurization. I suspect that this
is normally burned up except in milder loads where the temp at the case mouth
is lower.

If you are using .38 Spl brass this would make the lube 'tube' longer.

Bill