PDA

View Full Version : Great bullets from new Lee 105 SWC 6 cav

MikeSSS
04-18-2009, 12:09 AM
I was having trouble with my old Lee 105 SWC six cavity mold, there was a new one on ebay so I bought it.

Part of the problem was running the lead too cool and not preheating the old mold.

The old mold never opened and closed right when not casting and when casting.

OK, new mold, brushed it with dish liquid and smoked it. Tonight I did the first casting with it. The lead was range lead, the bottom pour Lee pot was run hot and the end of the mold was dipped in the lead melt for a while before casting and I started at the outer end casting a couple before casting two, etc.

Wow, just wow, the bullets came out the best I've ever cast, the sprue plate opened easily and the mold was a delight to use. Continuous pour casting worked the best, the cutter opening with almost no force and the bullets sharp and clear and a bit frosty.

After casting with a two cavity mold for a while returing to a six cavity mold is as good as it gets. With a continuous pour it doesn't take much longer to pour all six holes and that sprue plate lever is faster than pushing the plate open with a wood stick and tapping it closed with the stick. Six bullets cast faster than two.

Thank you Richard Lee, and thanks for the advice here on Cast Boolits, life is good when the bullets come out right!

Like the wise man said, "pour yourself a hot one".