PDA

View Full Version : Walther/S&W 99 40 cal.??

zardoz
04-17-2009, 11:34 PM
So now I have 40 caliber fever. That is one I do not have in the pistol stable as of yet, and for some reason, the old "must have it" has arisen.

So I hit a few gun shops today, and looked at several. I started with the idea of a Springfield XD 40, but none were available. Looked at Taurus, SIG, S&W Sigma, and then I saw a pistol that really appealed. It was the joint venture Walther/S&W SW99, with three magazines, in used but excellent condition.

I read some reviews, and from what I could tell, this one is a great value in the under $500 range.

Anyone here have opinions on this beastie? I was looking for at least 4" barrel length, and not CCW by any means.

StarMetal
04-17-2009, 11:49 PM
So now I have 40 caliber fever. That is one I do not have in the pistol stable as of yet, and for some reason, the old "must have it" has arisen.

So I hit a few gun shops today, and looked at several. I started with the idea of a Springfield XD 40, but none were available. Looked at Taurus, SIG, S&W Sigma, and then I saw a pistol that really appealed. It was the joint venture Walther/S&W SW99, with three magazines, in used but excellent condition.

I read some reviews, and from what I could tell, this one is a great value in the under $500 range.

Anyone here have opinions on this beastie? I was looking for at least 4" barrel length, and not CCW by any means.

From what I've heard a heck of a good pistol. Some even say it's a sleeper. Excellent workmanship, accurate, etc.. That's a good price too because initially they are expensive. Smith discontinued the SW99.

Joe

kingstrider
04-18-2009, 08:17 AM
Remember the .40 is a very popular round so it may pay to shop around before you buy. I find pistols chambered in .40 S&W pretty frequently at pawn shops and the prices are generally good. I picked up a H&K USP compact a few weeks ago for only $400 and passed up a $375 Springfield XD a week later. I even saw a SW99 a while back for about the same amount.

billyb
04-18-2009, 08:56 AM
I have one of the S&W99's in 40S&W. I like the gun very well. Sits in the hand nice accurate when i do my part and dosen't mind shootin lead. I did not know they were discontinued. Bill

Jbar4Ranch
04-19-2009, 11:38 AM
I don't know the differences between the SW99 and the P99, but I bought a P99AS .40 cal in February for my birthday - $665, and worth every penny.

9.3X62AL
04-19-2009, 12:29 PM
My agency had 35-40 of these in service during my time as rangemaster, and they are reliable, accurate service pistols. "Sleeper" is a great descriptor. I like 'em, a lot.

zardoz
04-19-2009, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the replies.

The pistol actually was a SW990L, that had been in service with a Minnesota police department it appears. Full size, and the gun is pretty tight. No discernable wear or scuffs on it at all, that I can tell. Barrel and action were excellent as well.

Took delivery yesterday, and took home for field stripping and checkout. It was spotless. The only thing that was a negative, is that the extra backstraps were not included, but the extra 3rd magazine made up for that in my eyes. As it is, it fits my hand more perfectly, than any other pistol I have.

Then out to my range. I recently put up a screen house tent gazebo, with a tarp floor out there, and it has proved to be the ultimate brass catcher. It was my first time shooting a 40 S&W ever, and as was expected, felt between 9mm and 45ACP in recoil and energy. Ther trigger is a bit different, being a "light" DAO compared to my other semi-auto pistols of that flavor. I have no muscle memory for this caliber or gun yet, so it will take a few rounds to get acclimated. Reminded me more of 44 Special than anything. Minute of pie plate at 10 yards so far, so I need to practice this one for sure.

Next up, getting dies, brass, moulds, etc. for this beastie. Everything on backorder with the web suppliers apparently, so I will have to be patient on that front it seems.

StarMetal
04-19-2009, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the replies.

The pistol actually was a SW990L, that had been in service with a Minnesota police department it appears. Full size, and the gun is pretty tight. No discernable wear or scuffs on it at all, that I can tell. Barrel and action were excellent as well.

Took delivery yesterday, and took home for field stripping and checkout. It was spotless. The only thing that was a negative, is that the extra backstraps were not included, but the extra 3rd magazine made up for that in my eyes. As it is, it fits my hand more perfectly, than any other pistol I have.

Then out to my range. I recently put up a screen house tent gazebo, with a tarp floor out there, and it has proved to be the ultimate brass catcher. It was my first time shooting a 40 S&W ever, and as was expected, felt between 9mm and 45ACP in recoil and energy. Ther trigger is a bit different, being a "light" DAO compared to my other semi-auto pistols of that flavor. I have no muscle memory for this caliber or gun yet, so it will take a few rounds to get acclimated. Reminded me more of 44 Special than anything. Minute of pie plate at 10 yards so far, so I need to practice this one for sure.

Next up, getting dies, brass, moulds, etc. for this beastie. Everything on backorder with the web suppliers apparently, so I will have to be patient on that front it seems.

Zar....you have a pm.

Joe