PDA

View Full Version : 54cal hawkens 95% done

corey012778
04-17-2009, 11:27 PM
only need butt plate, and trigger guard. and need to install the rear sight.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/corey012778/30-06094.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/corey012778/30-06096.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/corey012778/30-06095.jpg

docone31
04-18-2009, 05:31 PM
Lotta work there. Looking good.
Now, you need an original trigger, Hawken shop iron furniture, and toe plate. Browned of course.
The original Hawken, the butt tang and the trigger guard were connected. The threads were in the triggerguard. The trigger guard held the trigger in place.
When I made mine, my side plate was iron. I went with a fancy one. Browned of course. I used the Dixie Gun Works Hawken trigger. The Hawken Shop Hawken rifle upgrade for Italian Hawkens fits right on. I also cast a zinc nose cap. I mixed the zinc with pewter. A lesson I learned, do not file the metal on the stock without a complete finish on the stock itself. The filings get into the wood and stain the wood down the road.
You be lookin pretty good so far. They are a joy to build.
I also found an old piano. The iron screws in the piano browned up really well. A toe plate can be cut by hand. Really helps keep the stock from getting dinged on loading.

northmn
04-20-2009, 03:01 PM
Be careful when you say only need a buttplate. They can be a PITA to install.

Northmn

docone31
04-20-2009, 04:20 PM
They are not that bad.
Remember, always inlet small. That way, you have wood to remove for a fine fit. I use the wife's lipstick, rock it in, remove the lipstick from the stock, repeat untill it is done.
If the Traditions kit did not come with a buttpad, I might consider a Scheutzen style butt pad. Dixie gun works has a great selection. The heavier the better. A trigger guard, same thing. I installed the Hawken style, it cleared the set triggers and fit well.

corey012778
04-21-2009, 01:05 AM
I will most likely buy one that will fit the stock or hope to fit the stock. already had to alter some stuff on it

docone31
04-21-2009, 08:54 AM
I built a real close Hawken Wannabe from that stock myself. The buttplate from the Hawken Shop Conversion kit is real close. However, it takes some fitting. Not too hard, but draw fileing is a must. The top tang is longer than the inlet. No problem there, the curve is a little deeper in the inlet than what it is now, and the lower part of the buttplate is slightly longer. It looks absolutely great when it is finished. It really needs a toe plate also. Inletting a toe plate is not to bad, and I installed the toe plate, then installed the buttplate. I made the transition seam between the toe plate and buttplate almost invisible.
It does change the drop slightly, and that helps in aiming.
Cabelas has parts that will drop right in, but why not make a kinda furley surley? It is not that hard to do. An "original Hawken " nosecap also looks great! It is not an hard fit either. Just draw file away from the stock useing the stock as a guage.
She will be a beauty when you are done, and you will have built it!