PDA

View Full Version : Marvelux

azcoyhunter
02-19-2006, 07:28 PM
I have a question about "Marvelux"

Does it get old, stale ect.

I have had some, for about 5 years and I melted some lead, was fluxing it and the "Marvelux" did not seem to work like it used to?

Not the same smoke, bubbles.......................

What do you think?

Clint

454PB
02-19-2006, 10:10 PM
The only effect I've seen is that since it attracts moisture, it clumps up with age. I bought a big can about 8 years ago, and it works as well as it did new. If you read the instructions on the can, they tell you to keep it tightly sealed to help prevent moisture absorption. By the way, if yours is smoking, there is some other agent in you alloy causing that. Marvelux does not smoke, but it does bubble as it is heated.

buck1
02-19-2006, 11:30 PM
It gets wet and lumpy, But it still works the same . (BUT WITH SPATTER)
454pb said it well! ....Buck

azcoyhunter
02-20-2006, 10:59 AM
Thanks gentlemen

So where is the smoke coming from?

Am I trying to flux really dirty lead?

I mostly melt WWs, but sometimes I get mystery lead from a buddy.

It has lots of flotsam and jetsum sp???, when I ask where he got it, he just smiles and says it still shoots dosent it?

what do you think?

Clint

454PB
02-20-2006, 12:19 PM
It sounds like you are melting dirty wheelweights, which usually have grease or oil of some kind on them. I only use Marvelux to flux clean, precast ingots. For smelting, I use a carbon base flux like boolit lube, parafin or NEI flux and do it outdoors.

As you've probably already read, the main function of Marvelux is to form an oxygen barrier on the surface of the melt. I'd recommend you use some other carbon (petroleum based) fluxing agent to thoroughly clean the lead for smelting into relatively clean alloy. Save the Marvelux for the actual boolit casting.

azcoyhunter
02-21-2006, 12:04 AM
Thanks 454PB

That sounds right, I will try it,

This is a great site.

Thanks again

Clint

azcoyhunter
02-26-2006, 09:18 PM
I spent some time casting today, and found that the advise I got here was JUST RIGHT, it worked just as advertised.

I used wax, to get the bigger stuff, and Marvelux, to actually cast bullets.

I saw on other posts, that Kitty litter, is good to put on molten lead to keep it from being oxidized, Is this the same as what marvelux does?

Thanks again

Clint

454PB
02-26-2006, 10:50 PM
Yes, that's why I always leave the layer of dross and froth on the top of my bottom draw pot. It's not removed until either I'm done casting or the pot is empty.

azcoyhunter
02-27-2006, 10:39 PM
454pb

you have a bottom pour furnace, so you do not stir while you are casting.

My question is will the alloy stay mixed up if you do not stir it?

A newbie question, but I am not sure

Thanks

Clint

454PB
02-27-2006, 10:49 PM
Yes, lead alloys do not seperate. I once tried to force a zinc contaminated batch of metal to seperate. I let it in my Lee pot for three days, molten. There was a lot of oxidized metal at the top after three days, which I carefully skimmed off. I then tried casting 50 boolits to see any difference, and there was none. I judged "difference" by appearance and weight.

Actually, I do stir the melt several times during a casting session and sometimes I even flux again......I just don't skim off the dross.

omgb
02-27-2006, 11:49 PM
I'm still using a can of Marvelux I bought in Great Falls Montana back in 1978. It works very well but it is badly clumped. This was an 8lb can, a size they discontinued IIRC.

Frank46
02-28-2006, 03:44 AM
omgb, marvelux is pretty good stuff but like the folks before me it does clump up. I use a stainless steel soup spoon and crush the clumps and away I go. But it does seem to promote rusting of my pot so I use a wire brush to get the red grouda off. Been thinking about maybe switching fluxes. Maybe will order some of the vita ??? something from midway to try out. Frank

Haywire Haywood
02-28-2006, 08:50 AM
I read somewhere that it's corrosive. I still have a can out in the shop but have stopped using it.

Ian

omgb
02-28-2006, 09:12 AM
I'm getting kinda lazy in my old age. For the last couple of years I just dump in a booger of bullet lube and flux with that. Smokie? You bet but it's cheap, easy and it doesn't leave a crusted pot the way Marvelux does. That's why I still have about 2lbs of the stuff after 26 years or so.

454PB
02-28-2006, 12:12 PM
I'm still using a can of Marvelux I bought in Great Falls Montana back in 1978. It works very well but it is badly clumped. This was an 8lb can, a size they discontinued IIRC.

Well if you're not using that big can of Marvelux, I'd gladly take it off of your hands.

omgb
02-28-2006, 12:38 PM
Let me give that a thought or two and I'll get back to you. All I'd want is postage if I do decide to part with it. I notice you are in Helena. I bought this either at Sheils hardware on 10th ave. South (Holiday Village Shopping Center) or at a place that was either Great Falls Sporting Goods or Bears or something like that. Either way it was in downtown GF. Admittedly, I don't use the marvelux as much as I used to since I don't use a bottom pour as much as I did in the past. Still, I may want to keep it JIC. I'll let you know in a day or two.

nighthunter
02-28-2006, 05:54 PM
How big is your nose? I want to know how big the booger size piece is as I can not find any reference on the internet. Do you use 1 finger or 2? Possibly 3? I don't know what area of the country you are from or if you hang out with Catshooter.
Nighthunter

454PB
02-28-2006, 06:37 PM
Let me give that a thought or two and I'll get back to you. All I'd want is postage if I do decide to part with it. I notice you are in Helena. I bought this either at Sheils hardware on 10th ave. South (Holiday Village Shopping Center) or at a place that was either Great Falls Sporting Goods or Bears or something like that. Either way it was in downtown GF. Admittedly, I don't use the marvelux as much as I used to since I don't use a bottom pour as much as I did in the past. Still, I may want to keep it JIC. I'll let you know in a day or two.

Scheel's Hardware was one of the better gun shops in Great Falls at one time. Bears, which was east about 2 miles is now moved. Funny, I was in both shops a lot years ago and never saw Marvelux. I've always had to mail order it.

I'd be glad to pay the shipping if you want to get rid of that clumpy stuff :)

454PB
02-28-2006, 06:44 PM
How big is your nose? I want to know how big the booger size piece is as I can not find any reference on the internet. Do you use 1 finger or 2? Possibly 3? I don't know what area of the country you are from or if you hang out with Catshooter.
Nighthunter

It really has nothing to do with your nose or finger size, it's how often you clean it out [smilie=l:

omgb
02-28-2006, 07:09 PM
Hmm, Nighthunter poses an excellent question. Perhaps I should have said "pea" sized. However, out here in the PRK where dust is not an issue, the typical nose nugget, (based on samples found pressed onto metro seats and from observing drivers in freeway traffic) is about 1/4" in diameter. I hope that answers your question. :)

omgb
02-28-2006, 07:11 PM
Don's Sporting Goods in Lewistown still has some interesting guns. I was surprised to find all of the loading components, bullets, cases, primers, and loaded ammo out on shelves where you don't have to ask a clerk to fetch it for you. Jeez, I love MT.