PDA

View Full Version : Need a fast answer about stacking wads in a case

jh45gun
02-19-2006, 04:04 PM
On a other forum Saw a guy wanting to do this in a 45/90 he loaded some with two fiber wads stacked behind the bullet 500 grains and wants to stack more so the air space is filled using smokeless powder. I do not use wads or fillers but this sounds bad news to me I would think it could cause pressures to rise what do you guys suggest on this issue? I know a lot of you guys use fillers here but I never heard any of you stacking wads so any fast answers I will cut and paste there if this is not safe. Does not sound good to me?? Jim

44man
02-19-2006, 05:06 PM
Very bad idea! Adding wads to smokeless loads reduces the powder space and increases pressures. If there is a large space between the powder and boolit, a small tuft of dacron is better just to hold the powder in the bottom of the case. If the space is small, don't add anything! Some powders need nothing at all. This guy is asking for trouble.
Wads are needed in black powder loads to fill the space and, or, to compress the black powder. You don't want over .020" space with black powder. This guy is trying to apply the same reasoning to smokeless. TELL HIM NOT TO DO IT.

jh45gun
02-19-2006, 05:17 PM
Thanks I figured it was a pressure issue. I will repost your post now to him and thanks. thats what I really like about this forum you guys have the answers when you need them~! I appreciate it. I felt it was not safe either but did not the the reasoning behind it except that I thought it may raise pressures. He loaded up a few but has not shot them yet he is just getting into this reloading game. I told him a bullet puller would be a good investment. Now I have to listen to myself as I do not have one yet either. LOL but I do have a friend that has one so I have used his if I needed too. Jim

John Boy
02-19-2006, 08:54 PM
JH, yes using wads with smokeless is a pressure issue. The reason for wads is that BP has a sharp peaked pressure cure and the wads protect the gases from disforming the base of the bullet. Smokeless powder has an arched pressure cure and do not disform the base of the bullet with moderate pressure. If one is shooting the high end pressures ... a gas check is the way to go.