PDA

View Full Version : Case filler X 3 = Hmmm....

chromecrow
02-19-2006, 03:25 PM
In my previous post about the badly leaded bore of my 375 BB, Starmetal you told me on three occasions to use a filler well I did. Today 10 shots with 22g of 3031 and a dab of dacron got me about 1225fps and no lead!! I will work up a bit aand see what happens. 10 Shots somewhere around 2" group. I did not weigh or measure the filler at all. I estimated that there was about 3/8ths of an inch of empty space. I tore off what I thought was an appropiately sized piece. It weighed .3g. I then tore off 9 more about the same size and installed them. I always have to tell my kids at least three times what it is I want them to do. Now I see where they get it from!! Gee thanks, John.

StarMetal
02-19-2006, 03:30 PM
chromecrow,

Don't go patting me on the back too much. I don't want to get a good reputation on this forum. Anyways I suspected it would clear up the grey wash, but not the leading. It's not a cure all. There is still something wrong with your load somewhere. Be interesting to find out where. I think what all us cast shooters want is a good load that is easy to assemble, accurate, shoots clean, and doesn't require a filler. But that's not always possible.

Joe

chromecrow
02-19-2006, 05:03 PM
I felt like the grey wash was an indication of what was going on deeper in the barrel. If the muzzle was grey, the bore was leaded. This time no grey, no lead. I will load 20 just like the previous 10 and see. Should the filler be weighed or measured? There was a pretty good variation in velocities. A high of 1250 and a low of 1201. Maybe caused by the variation in filler density? What the heck is Kapok?

jhalcott
02-19-2006, 11:05 PM
kapok was used in life jackets for years It is some kind of plant fiber. I use poly /dacron (pillow stuffing) that I get at the fabric shop.I cut it into half inch squares that weigh about half a grain.

lovedogs
02-20-2006, 11:39 AM
I'm certainly no expert in this but thought I'd pass on something I'd heard about where the leading is located in a bbl. since you mentioned a gray wash. Somewhere I've read something by some "expert" that leading full length of a bbl. or at the muzzle indicated the wrong alloy. Leading at the chamber and a little ways ahead of it indicate gas getting around the base of the bullet and "soldering" lead to the bore. Maybe some of our forum buddies can shed more light on this but thought I might just bring it up.