PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 41027, THE MAGIC BOOLIT!!

azrednek
04-16-2009, 11:46 PM
I've been fooling around for several years trying to find the most accurate projectile for my 41 Mag. An 8 1/2 inch barreled S&W Model 57. I tried various jacketed and cast. The cast boolits I've tried were my own and store-bought. The store-bought cast were out shooting my cast and jacketed. For handgun hunting I use factory ammo, Winchester Silver Tips in particular. For practice and paper punching I wanted to cast my own and be as accurate as jacketed or store-bought cast.

I discovered it yesterday!! A Lyman 41027, a hollow based, button nosed, wadcutter. I originally got the mold a few years ago and had dismal results with it. I was just about ready to sell it when somebody on this site or another suggested using softer lead and a milder powder charge.
My previous attempts were cast from 100% clip-ons with a tad of tin.

I can say up front the hollow based wadcutters are a pain in the rear to cast. The production rate is slower than cold molasses, the rejects are many and a casting session will really test one's patience. After following suggestions from more experienced casters I reduced the powder charge, using 4 1/2 - 5.0 grs of Bullseye. I cast from a batch of apx 80% stickies. The remaining 20% that was left in the bottom of my pot was a mixture of clip-ons, pure and a touch of tin. I don't have a hardness tester but fingernail wise the castings felt as soft as pure lead. Whomever it was that advised me to use a torch on the pin, thanks!! I still had plenty of rejects but heating up the pin really helped.

I tried 50/50, Jake's Red and Lee tumble lubes. I loaded some without sizing and tumble lubed. Pan lubed, filling the bottom two grooves with NRA 50/50. All the grooves filled with Jake's Red with my RCBS sizer and a heater. I used a .410 sizing die on the hard lube and some of the castings with the 50/50. The remainder of the pan lubed with 50/50 and apx 50% of the tumble lubed were sized with a Lee push through sizer. As far as the sizing and lube I couldn't see any difference on paper. The few that were pan lubed and all the grooves filled smoked excessively. In the future I will likely shoot them as cast and use tumble lube. The hard lubed and sized boolits did not shoot any better than the tumble lube. The only advantage I could see with the hard lube is it smoked less.

I was really surprised how accurate they shot. I honestly didn't think I could shoot that well. Not a load or boolit I'd rely on or prefer for self defense or hunting but for punching paper it is the most accurate I've put through my Model 57.

TDC
04-17-2009, 06:00 AM
Hummmmm.... An S&W '57 is my "go to gun," too... I've got four different molds for it but not that one.. Now I need a 41027!!!:cool:

missionary5155
04-17-2009, 06:29 AM
Good morning Thanks for that info...
I would be intersted to know what your group size is with this combo... ??? I have a S&W 57 and am always tinkering with my 41īs looking for that Best of the Best.
I have looked at that mold sevral times and always said... NOPE not me.. No more hollow base molds. Turn up the temp on the mix... HIGH & HIGHER
I think it is far easier to drill a hollow base after casting. A drill press and a simple metal block guide and any 41 boolit can be hollow pointed... Production rate sure is better. And the Aggrivation factor greatly reduced. But I generally just stick with flat base and thump the steel chicken.
Mike in Peru

azrednek
04-17-2009, 03:29 PM
Good morning Thanks for that info...
I would be intersted to know what your group size is with this combo... ???

I didn't measure it but it was the tightest group I've shot with a handgun in years.

I have a S&W 57 and am always tinkering with my 41īs looking for that Best of the Best.
I have looked at that mold sevral times and always said... NOPE not me.. No more hollow base molds. Turn up the temp on the mix... HIGH & HIGHER
I think it is far easier to drill a hollow base after casting. A drill press and a simple metal block guide and any 41 boolit can be hollow pointed... Production rate sure is better. And the Aggrivation factor greatly reduced. But I generally just stick with flat base and thump the steel chicken.

As I mentioned, casting HBWC's will really test one's patience and the reject rate is very high. A drill press sounds like a good idea. I also have a HBWC mold for 38. It doesn't shoot any better than my Lee TL 148 WC. I will have to try the 38 hollow mold with softer lead. For years everything I cast was water dropped from clip-on wheel weights.

Mike in Peru

grbgfghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

azrednek
05-06-2009, 11:13 PM
Don't know what happened in my previous several attempts at editing my prior response.

As I mentioned, casting HBWC's will really test one's patience and the reject rate is very high. I also have a HBWC mold for 38. It doesn't shoot any better than my Lee TL 148 WC. I will have to try the 38 hollow mold with softer lead. For years everything I cast was water dropped from clip-on wheel weights.

A drill press sounds like a good idea. Please let me know how it turns out. Don't know if it would be any quicker in the long run but after my experience with hollow based moulds I don't want to be casting them when I'm with in an ear shot of woman and children. The reward of launching a super accurate boolit is very gratifying but casting them turns the reloading hobby into a dirty job.

Friend of mine, unlike me, has a very patient personality. He casts .450 hollow based conical balls intended for a 44 Remington cap and ball revolver, loads and shoots them in 45 Auto Rim and ACP. He gets remarkable accuracy shooting them. He such a good shot though it is almost embarrassing shooting next to him. I tried shooting hollow based in my 45's and didn't see any improvement compared to my plain or gas checked based 45's. I might not be able to out shoot him but surely I can out cast him!!

Leftoverdj
05-07-2009, 02:48 AM
We did a group buy on six cavity button nose plain base WCs for the .41 Mag a while back. If there is an accuracy difference from the Lyman 41027, it's going to take a better shot than I am to demonstrate it, even from an old Lee machine rest.

As to defense capabilities, if I encounter any trouble that can't be resolved by 220 grain .41 cal WCs at 900 fps, I'm gonna run, and me old and fat.