PDA

View Full Version : Shorter brass, what to do ?

konaaahbend
04-16-2009, 08:31 PM
I'm new to reloading cast bullits and my question is: I have a ton of hornady brass for my .45-70, but it measures 2.25 mm shorter than the 2.035 inches of a normal prepped case. They've only been shot once (factory load). Can I still reload these, do I change my die so the bullet isn't seated as far ? I'd hate to have to throw them out so if I can use them I'd appreciate the help. Thanks,:castmine::castmine: Gordon:castmine:

OBXPilgrim
04-16-2009, 08:40 PM
Wouldn't that depend on what kind of rifle (or pistol) you have?

If for a lever that would need to have a crimped slug, you'd probably down load some or start lower & work up to find what your load needs to be. For a single shot (Ruger #1, Handi Rifle, pistol, etc) I'd load them as normal with only a snug crimp where ever it falls.

I don't have a 45-70 but that's what I do with my 357 Max Handi with 360 Dan Wesson brass.

Sprue
04-16-2009, 08:45 PM
Yeah, those 45/70 brass are a little shorther than other manufactures. I just use the normal load length data and crimp them where they fall just as OBX said.

ETA: Thats R-P brass in the center. On the right is how mine look when I use the Hdy brass. Both reloaded rounds (same boolit) have the same OAL. Accuracy is about the same with either brass.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/spilihp_2007/45-70loads.jpg

Jon K
04-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Gordon,

First.....Welcome aboard.

Next, Is that brass resized, or unsized after firing?
The brass will shrink to form to the chamber when fired, resizing it will strech back out, so most of the .088'(2.25mm) will come back, and is nothing to worry about.
Just load to nominal OAL, so the round will cycle, and crimp.

Jon

arcticbreeze
04-16-2009, 09:35 PM
I assume they were Leverevolution? The trim to length is a generally a max not a min. specification. Here is an exerp from Starlines web site that might explain better.

"Why is Starline, Inc. brass shorter than the trim-to-length in our reloading manual?

Trim-to-lengths given in most manuals often confuse people if they are unsure of their actual purpose. Most manuals generate their own trim-to-lengths from SAAMI maximum cartridge drawings. They usually pick a number just below the SAAMI maximum and state this as the recommended trim-to-length. Depending on specific caliber, some cases will shrink and others will grow when fired and reloaded. The trim-to-length is trying to say: "If case is longer than trim-to-length, then trim back to this." The confusion comes in when people purchase new brass and want to trim it back to trim-to-length stated in the manual. One must understand that a manufacturer will not produce cases at maximum length and that we as manufacturers must have a reasonable tolerance to work with. Most people do not wish to trim brass, so at Starline, Inc., we operate a tolerance of .005 below SAAMI maximum and that window ranges from .003 to .010 below, depending on the caliber. All auto-feeding cartridges are held within .004, and revolver normally is within .005.

The trim-to-length we recommend for peak performance is a variation of no more than .005 and length within .010 of published trim-to-lengths, but never exceeding trim-to-lengths.

Remember, consistency in length relating to consistent crimp is more important than all cases being the same length as the trim-to-length in manuals, assuming it is not too long."

konaaahbend
04-16-2009, 09:43 PM
Sorry about the excess smileys, *** here ! I'm shooting a Marlin XLR, and since I can't find bullets or brass, I'm reloading and casting with components I already have. And yep, they are Leverevolutions ! Thanks for the quick and much needed info ya'll. It's very much appreciated ! Gordon

TAWILDCATT
04-17-2009, 12:28 PM
some of use are loading 41 swiss and the gun will except cases with 1/4 in or more variation.short does not mean any thing except you need the volume for
powder load. you can trim 38 spec to 38 S&W length and shoot in your 38 spec revolver.:coffee:[smilie=1: