PDA

View Full Version : Longer eye relief scopes?

BD
04-16-2009, 08:20 PM
Any advice for a good scope with eye relief close to 5"? I'm partial to Leupolds, but I've not had any luck searching their website for "long eye relief". I'm looking for a 2-7 variable with near 5" of eye relief to set up my 450 Bushmaster.

BD

MtGun44
04-16-2009, 08:52 PM
Red dots will work at any eye relief. Scopes normally are in the
2.5-3.5" range and pistol scopes usually start at about 8" or
around there and go way on out.

Maybe a scout scope might work short enough. Look at the Leopold
scout scope. These are typically only in about 2X with a coarse reticle.

Bill

Hunter 24095
04-16-2009, 09:15 PM
Nikon's omega scope has a 5" eye relief. I mounted one on my 1894 44 mag and it is very clear and has at least 5"s of eye relief and you can also get it with out the BDC. I dont like it as good as my VX3's but for the price you cant beat it

Baron von Trollwhack
04-16-2009, 10:07 PM
Second the Nikon. I have one on a highwall 45-60. It's fine. BvT

30hrrtt
04-17-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm a Leupold and Burris fan too as I use more scopes on handguns. I too was looking for a longer eye relief scope. I have two now I really like.

A Bushnell Legend in 2 x 7 32. I have it on my Savage 99 in 308 and it's great. The 2 power works up close in the brush and the 7 can take advantage of the longer shots. In the last two years, it has taken 2 buck and a doe. Has quite an eye relief.

The other is a Bushnell Banner in 1 x 4 with circle x recticle. At first I didn't think I like it but it is now my favorite when I'm driving deer in the woods. I can follow a rabbit running in the woods when it's on 1 power. It has a long eye relief also and has taken 2 buck this year. It's mounter on a Winchester 94 in 44 mag.

I wasn't a fan of Bushnell scopes but these have the eye relief I was looking for and are pretty good quality. A search of the Bushnell site should have the specs.

Happy blasting.

sleeper1428
04-17-2009, 10:18 PM
I'll second the Bushnell suggestion. I have a 2X9 Bushnell Banner scope with 6" eye relief (found it at Optics Planet) on my Ruger #1 (45/70) and it works great. I really got frustrated using an old Weaver 4 power scope on that rifle - even with double offset mounts I still couldn't get it far enough back to suit my tastes - and it took a long time before I found a scope that provided the longer eye relief I wanted. I'm now using a standard front mount with an offset rear mount and haven't had any problems so far with recoil effecting the scope but I do have to admit that I haven't run hundreds of rounds through the weapon since mounting that new scope. But as I say, so far so good.

sleeper1428

leadman
04-17-2009, 10:47 PM
I have an older 2x7 VXII and it is close to 5" of eye relief. I also have a Bushnell Banner that is listed as 5" eye relief.

You might want to hit a sporting goods and ask to look at a couple scopes. Sometimes the specs are not listed correctly or have changed. Best to look thru them.

BD
04-18-2009, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the help

All the Bushnell info I've found online and in the Midway master catalog lists the eye relief at 3.5". I'll have to see if I can find one to check for real.

The Nikon "Omega" looks good as does the Burris "Timberline". I have and use an UltraDot, although it's back to them for repair at the moment. They're great for hunting, but they're not my favorite for target shootin'.

I've never set up an AR for optics before. I shoot my .223 DCM with my nose right on the charging handle. I thinks that's gonna lead to a bloody nose with the .450B, so I need to pad the stock to get my face back at least an inch or so, and the rear of the scope needs to be forward of the charging handle an inch or so, which will put me right at the extreme limit of something that only has 3.5" of eye relief.

BD

sleeper1428
04-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Try this URL:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bush-rs-bnr-713947.html

This is the Bushnell Banner 3-9X40 with 6" eye relief that I have on my Ruger #1 (45/70) rifle. At about $75 with free shipping it's a bargain. And by the way, I'm not associated with OpticsPlanet.com, just a satisfied customer. Oh, and another by the way - the 713947 at the end of the URL given above is OpticsPlanet.com's product ID number for this scope in case you just go to the site and want to find this particular scope.

sleeper1428

45r
04-19-2009, 08:11 PM
AR's are hard on scopes,I'd get a leupold or a 2 power aimpoint.

hamour
04-20-2009, 05:57 AM
Leupold VXII 1.5x5 should give you what you require. It is a good heavy rifle scope. Probably the best for the money.

Lloyd Smale
04-20-2009, 07:11 AM
my favorite scope is the leupold 2x7 for that reason. I have one on my 50 beowulf and it works great. The one on the beo is a varix 1 with the heavy duplex. Figured it was a hunting gun and the heavy duplex would help in low light.

BD
04-20-2009, 08:30 AM
Lloyd, Did you need a rail extension to get the scope far enough forward? Any advice on recoil pads?
BD