PDA

View Full Version : De glocking shells

shotman
04-16-2009, 06:24 PM
there was a post about resizing The glock brass. The 9mm is a taper case. Here is what I done. Take a 38/357 sizer.[non carbide] take a 3/8 in masonary carbide bit and drill it out. Take a 25/64 drill bit and use the shank part with valve grinding compound. It will go though and will polish to a 9mm head fit. works great. rick

TAWILDCATT
04-17-2009, 12:31 PM
whats the matter with 9 mm die???I am puzzled??:coffee:[smilie=1:

mike in co
04-17-2009, 01:24 PM
whats the matter with 9 mm die???I am puzzled??:coffee:[smilie=1:

typical pistol dies DO NOT size all the way down to the base. glocks have max chambers, not small match chambers( its why they always work). brass expands more in glocks...esp in 9mm and 40 s&w( both hi pressure rounds), not so much in 45acp( a nice low presure round).

so after loading once or twice, the bases grow. they grow so much that a 10 round mag will often only hold 9!
so one gets the brass roll sized, back to min spec or so. the other option is a push thru die as done above( or some sell it to unsuspecting reloader) knowledgeable reloaders get very suspisious at "once fired" brass with glock striker marks.
i presented a design of push thru to dillon for 9mm,49s&w and 45acp. they looked at it, but in the end they passed.

mike in co
THE COLORADO BRASS COMPANY

StarMetal
04-17-2009, 01:30 PM
Here's what I think. Talking about a greatly expanded area in the web of the case. I think once it's been weakened from first time I wouldn't want to shoot that case anymore. We're not talking about normal case expansion, we're talking about an abnormal web bulge.
Just my two cents.

Joe

nicholst55
04-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Redding is now selling a push-through die for .40 S&W, at least. I dunno if they make it for other cartridges or not.

dakotashooter2
04-17-2009, 07:18 PM
I wonder if there was enough interest, if MEC could make a die for their super sizer?

Beaverhunter2
04-17-2009, 07:28 PM
What does a "Glock Striker Mark" look like?

John

No_1
04-17-2009, 07:43 PM
A glock does not leave a round firing pin indention, it is more of a square or rectangle looking indention.

Robert

Beaverhunter2
04-17-2009, 07:52 PM
Thanks, Robert! My HMI Stealth is striker-fired but has a round firing pin. This little tidbit will really help me sort my brass. Don't want any kabooms!

John

shotman
06-05-2009, 02:24 AM
The die I made for the 9mm brass I was talking about . I found out something this week . It will not work for Military brass. The 9mm military brass has a bigger head. I guess for full autos? rick

Russel Nash
06-05-2009, 03:28 AM
Go here to this website:

Evolution Gun Works/Lee Undersize resizing/decapping die (http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=40&zenid=e6c1acdcef9231ed23891974d26b8043)

Now, just like everybody else, they are back ordered. Big surprise there, right?

I have a Dillon 550 and it has 3 dedicated tooheads one each for 9, .40 and .45

I run all the same die set ups in all three:

EGW/Lee Undersize Die
Redding Micrometer adjustable bullet seating die
Lee Factory Crimp Die

I hardly ever bother dropping my loaded rounds into a case gauge. I will do the first 5 to 10 rounds off the press just to confirm that nothing got bumped out of whack.

Then after that I just start cranking out ammo.

I shoot at least 2 steel plate matches a month and at least one USPSA "paper" match a month. It's actually like up to 5 paper matches a month now that it is summer. So assuming 200 rounds minimum per steel match and about 130 rounds per paper match, this time of year I am shooting 850 rounds each month.

That's just in matches.

And my guns run 100%.

Before I got both the EGW/Lee U die and the Lee FCD, I would have to case gauge everything by hand and it was a really slow process.

Your only other option is to buy a CasePro roll sizer.

I hear somebody else is supposed to be unveiling his version of the CasePro soon enough.

shotman
06-05-2009, 03:42 AM
I have never had a problem with regular dies if I use brass that was fired in my guns" NO glocks" but range brass is mixed so it has some that are glocked. 9mm is tapered 40 is straight and 45 has a slightly larger head. I dont have a set of Lyman 40cal dies but if they are made like the 45 then a case will push through with the deprime pin removed

Down South
06-05-2009, 10:03 AM
What does a "Glock Striker Mark" look like?

John

Along with the strange striker mark, most 40’s I’ve seen that were Glocked had the famous case bulge in the web near the base of the case. This is caused due to the unsupported area of the Glock chamber. Supposedly the case is weakened in this area due to the more than normal stretch. It is suspected that when a 40 fails from case separation using Glocked cases that it is caused by the once bulged case lining back up exactly in the same position as when it was Glocked the first time. I do believe this is the main reason that it is not recommended to reload for the Glocks. I use a lot of Glocked cases but not in Glocks and I load them less than full pressure loads.

TAWILDCATT
06-05-2009, 11:00 AM
I will stick to 45 acp.
40s need to be roll sized if bulged as regular sizing is bad for the bulge.I one took
10,000 cases to Carrols for roll sizing. me I dont want a 40.I am quite happy with 45acp,38spec,9 mm.if you have to have a high pressure cartridge to do what a low will do,it has to be an ego thing.I know old men wont change their ways to
the new modern methods.:coffee: :veryconfu

anachronism
06-05-2009, 11:13 AM
http://www.magmaengr.com/products-mainmenu-64/case-master-jr-rimless-case-sizer

Redding has a push through case sizer for 40 Glock brass, but not for the 9mm, the last I knew.

Another option might be to find an old set of RCBS or Hornady carbide dies for your caliber. The older dies didn't have such a pronounced chamfer on the bottom, which is now so prominent for use with progressive presses. I buy these sets whenever I can for use with brass that didn't come from my guns.

siwel
06-05-2009, 11:47 PM
I will stick to 45 acp.
40s need to be roll sized if bulged as regular sizing is bad for the bulge.I one took
10,000 cases to Carrols for roll sizing. me I dont want a 40.I am quite happy with 45acp,38spec,9 mm.if you have to have a high pressure cartridge to do what a low will do,it has to be an ego thing.I know old men wont change their ways to
the new modern methods.:coffee: :veryconfu

I was thinking the same thing all the way through this thread.:drinks:

HeavyMetal
06-06-2009, 02:10 AM
I read / "viewed" the thread on de glocking brass with great interest when it was posted.

I have a friend with a 40 cal and I have a Lee die set with the carbide crimp die in it.

Followed the example in the video and yes the 40 brass came out completely sized.

I wondered at that point if this would work for 9mm andf 45 auto case's?

Pondered this question for awhile and then someone wanted to do some die trading and I swapped a 30-30 factory crimp die for a carbide factory 9mm crimp die!

Set it up in my Lee Challanger stripped the internals out of it and went to town!

I sized about 50 rounds in the same manner as the 40 cal video.

Here's what I learned: Case's grew an average of 6 thousandths in length if they were not primed if they were still primed ( used / dead primer) they only grew about 2 to 3 thousandths. I now have 50 Winchester case's that measure exactly .755 in length!

The second thing I learned was the 9mm not only has a problem with case's lengths being all over the place but also with rim diameter as well! Some case's were 4 thousandths of an inch over the spec size in my Speer manual. Running them completely through the factory crimp die actually sized the rim to the same diameter as the Base of the case body.

It got real easy to tell which case's had the big rim's and which ones didn't!

Could the "oversized" case rims be a "hidden" reason for failure to feed in the 9MM?

I loaded up 4 empty case's in my Firestar mag and ran them through the gun slowly, because they had no boolits seated, once aligned they went into battery and ejected with no problems.

Interesting!

I now have 50 sized case's and will be exploring more of this feeding issue to see if this causes any feeding issure from the smaller case rim!

One other thing I learned in this experiment was the primer pockets, of the unprimed brass, got just a shade smallet at the mouth of the pocket. I take a primer pocket uniformer to all my case's when working up a load and these requirred a bit of work to get that tool to run smoothly in the primer pocket.

More food for thought!

If I can make time I will get a load selected and try to get out and shoot these case's soon.

jhrosier
06-06-2009, 06:22 AM
Heavymetal,
The 9mm case tapers from .380 at the mouth to .391 at a point .200 from the head.
(data from Lyman #46)
If you used a push through die, you probably just sized the heads about .010 undersized.

I wouldn't shoot them.

Jack

testhop
06-06-2009, 06:42 AM
Redding is now selling a push-through die for .40 S&W, at least. I dunno if they make it for other cartridges or not.

hey nick how is the ww deal in KOREA .
have you got to do any shooting yet?

tom

HeavyMetal
06-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Jhrosier:
I think you just confirmed a point I possiblely didn't make very well last night.

My Speer manual, number 12, shows a diagram with measurements, I figured saami spec, for all case's listed.

Under the 9 mm Luger the case drawing shows a rim diamension / diameter of .3940. the case body, just above the ejector groove, shows .3926.

The difference, if these were maximum saami spec case's, should only be .0014!

The point, which I so poorly stated earlier, was the case rims I was sizing were much larger than saami spec!

I was postulating on the idea that if case rims were that far out on all brands of case's, I was using winchesters in this case, might this be the reason fo unexplained failures to feed? Particularly in guns with "tuned" extractors?

I posted my information as food for thought.

Since I know Magma sells a full length "push through" resizing set up for auto loading case's I think I'm going to continue my experiment and see where this take me.

I do plan to be careful with this batch of case's and do not plan any maximum loads for them just to be safe. I appreciate your stepping up and expressing a safety concern, That's why I like this site everyone cares.

If I'm right stoppages that many have thought were related to boolit shape or overall cartridge length might be nothing more than an oversized case rim!

jhrosier
06-06-2009, 07:28 PM

The point, which I so poorly stated earlier, was the case rims I was sizing were much larger than saami spec!

If I'm right stoppages that many have thought were related to boolit shape or overall cartridge length might be nothing more than an oversized case rim!

Hmmm..

I don't think that I have ever heard this issue raised before !

An oversized rim might tend to push the cartridge in a much different direction as it passed through the feed lips on the magazine.

There sure are a lot of variables to consider in addition to the rim size.
It seems likely that a gun that was just on the edge of a malfunction with perfect ammo could easily malfunction with ammo that was out of spec in any way. Add another issue like the profile of the bullet or a slight variation in seating depth or rim size and then you get a problem.

This is an issue that bears remembering to watch for.

Jack

shotman
06-07-2009, 02:19 AM
9 mm is the worst. I made a die to resize bulged brass all the domestic will pass through a .390 die. the military brass I had will not.I dont know about Speers book but there is no domestic that my mic checked that was .394. The military was. S&W 9mm is smaller yet

HeavyMetal
06-07-2009, 09:56 AM
I was using the Speer dimensions as a reference.

I need to do several things today, check rim diameters on several samples of 9mm brass and post what I'm actually getting once they pass through the Lee die.

I doubt that any of my case's exceed saami spec, that was a mis quote on my part. Let's leave this at: Some case's resized "harder" than others, even within the same brand name, and it always occured at the rim. Giving me the impression that rim diameter, as well as case length and thickness, varies a lot more in 9mm case's than I think it should.

I spent some time yesterday looking at the case dimensions of auto loading pistol rounds.

It's amazing how many "rimless" case's are actually "semi-rimmed"!

The 9mm and the 45 ACP are prime examples. Both have rims that are a few thousandth larger in diameter than the case body.

Again food for thought.

TAWILDCATT
06-09-2009, 11:38 AM
I have never had a problem with my 9 mm.I have a hi power and hi point.
Is the problems with glocks.if so the chambers seem to be big.I dont and wont own one.I will have to check my dies as far as I know they size all the way to the base.if they dont its because of a big chamfer.:coffee:[smilie=1:

06-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Since we are on the topic of deglocking brass, I had a question related to glock and problems chambering a round with a cast boolit.

Situation: Brewed up a batch of .451 45 ACP bullets, which I was shooting out of my Glock pistol. Would occasionally get a round jammed that was a bit oversized, not too big a deal. The vast majority loaded and fired, no problem.

Issue: Recently switched to a Lonewolf ported barrel and the chamber tolerances must be tighter, because rounds that would chamber with the old barrel, won't with the new one. I have about 400 rounds of this batch of bullets. I had not previously run them through any sort of crimp die. is that something that might help?

Thanks.

Down South
06-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Hmmm..

I don't think that I have ever heard this issue raised before !

An oversized rim might tend to push the cartridge in a much different direction as it passed through the feed lips on the magazine.

I’ve resized thousands of 40 and 9mm that were Glocked. I’ve never had a problem resizing with conventional dies. I (think) my 9mm and .40 dies are RCBS. I ain’t at the house right now so I can’t be sure. My best answer is if you don’t have a problem then don’t fix it. If the loaded round will chamber then shoot it. I do load Glocked brass less than normal pressure.

JIMinPHX
06-11-2009, 05:39 PM
A glock does not leave a round firing pin indention, it is more of a square or rectangle looking indention.

Robert
I don't actually have a Glock, so I really don't know for sure. I believe that the two pictures below show a Glock primer mark vs. a non-Glock primer mark. Please let me know if this is not correct.

Thanks,
Jim