PDA

View Full Version : Primers in stock??

beanflip
04-16-2009, 05:14 PM
:Fire:A sporting goods store 40 miles away wont sell you primers if you don't buy brass, bullets, powder or reloading equipment.
If you do buy some components your limited to how many primers that you can buy.

What a bunch of BS!!!!!

jdowney
04-16-2009, 05:55 PM
Saw something similar in 2006 with Portland Cement. Home Depot or Lowes would get 1 or 2 pallets per store in Albuquerque, then restrict customers to two bags each. I swear people were trying to buy extra just due to scarcity (thinkin of my neighbor! :-D)

But if you went down to Alamogordo, there were 14 pallets in Lowes alone and you could buy as many as you could haul.

Commodity runs are fundamentally irrational, and its no surprise to me when the stores come up with stupid rules to go along with it.

Trey45
04-16-2009, 06:01 PM
A little gunshop near where i live outright refused to sell me primers they have sitting on their shelf, with the excuse given:
" I just sold $700 worth of reloading gear to 2 seperate people and I don't want them upset with me due to no componants"
I explained to the guy that he has no idea how much money I spend each year on guns and shooting supplies, that i very well may spend $5000 a year on supplies that i would now spend elsewhere, he grudgingly sold me 400 primers (at $4.00 per hundred I might ad)
I won't be going back there.

mike in co
04-16-2009, 06:20 PM
:Fire:A sporting goods store 40 miles away wont sell you primers if you don't buy brass, bullets, powder or reloading equipment.
If you do buy some components your limited to how many primers that you can buy.

What a bunch of BS!!!!!

bean.....maybe this is his way of not selling to people trying to flip them ? supporting his customers ?

sorry do not see it as bs at all.

mike in co

waksupi
04-16-2009, 06:56 PM
I was in the Sportsman and Ski Haus In Kalispell today. Lots of pistol primers, shotgun primers, few rifle primers. Lots of bullets, a good supply of powder, although not a large selection. Shelves full of ammo, racks full of guns.

TG70
04-16-2009, 07:02 PM
I have observed some differences in Southern NM, as in most stores with limited supplies of reloading components and fewer guns than usual but one store with a full display of guns and a pretty good supply of powder. Not sure why...

Tom

beanflip
04-16-2009, 07:52 PM
mike in co very good point about their supporting customers!

rickomatic
04-17-2009, 02:04 PM
I was in the Sportsman and Ski Haus In Kalispell today. Lots of pistol primers, shotgun primers, few rifle primers. Lots of bullets, a good supply of powder, although not a large selection. Shelves full of ammo, racks full of guns.

Wait til the stagecoach gets in to town this weekend. Them thar city slickers will clean out all yer stores!! :Fire:

BD
04-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Could it be that there's no need for a "run" on guns and shooting supplies in Kalispell? Folks there may feel that they're already well armed.

I was back up to Greenville Maine two weeks ago, and the gun shop was stocked the same as always. Of course they never carried powder or primers, but the ammo shelves were full. I believe that it's likely there already were more guns than people in Greenville before this last election.

BD

Tom Herman
04-17-2009, 05:15 PM

What a bunch of BS!!!!!

I would make it a point to go in there once in a while when just passing through, look around, not buy anything, remind them of when they refused to sell primers, and tell them how much I buy from places that treat me right.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

69daytona
04-17-2009, 05:40 PM
If you live in the Sacramento area Wildsports has a big shipment of Winchester LR primers, but they limit you to 1000 per day. I took friends and got 4000 today and will be back tomorrow. The price is going up though. 36.50 per 1000 and 39.75 for LRmagnums.

Down South
04-17-2009, 10:00 PM
I went to my local gun shop today looking for a 30-30 which they didn’t have. I noticed that they had primers on the shelf. But all they had was large rifle mag and large pistol mag. I questioned them on primer availability and of course I got the same old song and dance. We can’t get them. I didn’t really need any primers since I stocked up last summer when it appeared the sock monkey might get elected.

Tom Herman
04-29-2009, 08:42 AM
Hi Folks,

Forgetting the big stores that have their heads somewhere other than where they are supposed to be when it comes to ordering, I keep tabs on the local stores and their stock.
I've been watching powder supplies rebound slowly but steadily. At first, there were only a container or two of powder left on the shelves that no one wants.
Gradually, more and more powders are coming back, both in type and quantity. I still haven't found any Unique in at least four months, but I'm encouraged.
Yesterday, I had a mild shock and surprise when I found a brick of Federal Small pistol primers on the shelf! I did a double take, and it followed me home.
The price was simply outrageous, at $60/M it was double what I paid the last time I saw any primers for sale.
But, they were there and available, and as I'm loading for small pistol right now and running way too low, I was happy to buy it.
Hopefully, primers will become more available, and the price will drop as demand slacks off.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Jon
04-29-2009, 09:15 AM
The powder seems to be trickling in a bit. I picked up 8lbs of bullseye at the biddeford show, and 3k of LP primers for $30/k I didn't see ANY SP primers at all. Someone said there were a couple of boxes, but they sold out fast.

It looks like supply is starting to catch up with some of the demand, but it'll be awhile before things settle out I'm sure. There's alot of people with online orders for 10k or more of SP primers just to make the hazmat shipping more reasonable.

Kittery Trading Post in Maine had some small primers a couple weeks ago, but they are only letting you buy 200 at a time. I hope that changes in the future, because 200 isn't worth making a trip down there.

HeavyMetal
04-29-2009, 09:27 AM
Some of you may remember that we had the same problem with primers and components back in the 90's during the "first" gulf war.

I saw primers going for 70 and 80 per 1000 and shops regulating how many you could buy. I also saw some of the local guys refuse to pay scalper prices to get primers in the shop. When they had them they were priced "ligit" and they did ask that you not buy them all, which I thought was common sense.

The outfits that "ripped" primer prices are now long gone! I never argued with them, I simply never bought and remembered who they were!

This time around is no different, just a different reason. If we all think about it and stop buying any of this high priced stuff for a few months, the "flippers" will think the market is flat and move on to something else!

They always do.

Yes this will be tough to do and some of us won't shoot as much as we'd like but we need to remember We are the Market! and as such our actions can have an impact on supply.

Ask yourself what you really need to shoot? Then grit your teeth and shoot some 22's for awhile, I see lots of those here in LA, or go shoot some shotgun, I still see lots of that on the shelves at Wal Mart.

Remember: when our shooting changes direction the market will change direction as well.

klcarroll
04-29-2009, 01:12 PM
In one respect, the irony of the current situation makes me smile.

Mr. Obama's philosophical position regarding the private ownership of weapons and ammunition has created this burst of panic buying; ....The result of which is the EXACT REVERSE of anything he might have been hoping for!!

1) Weapons have been selling at record rates.

2) There is more ammunition "stockpiled" in private hands than ever before.

3) The number of people who have "tooled up" to reload has been astonishing.

4) A good percentage of the reloading community is "sitting" on enough supplies to last them YEARS.

I guess that's the one nice thing about Politicians: ....They are, due to their genetic make-up, INCAPABLE of keeping their mouths shut: .....So when one does have "Dirty Deeds" on his agenda, ...people tend to find out![smilie=1:

Kent

Jon
04-29-2009, 01:38 PM
Some of you may remember that we had the same problem with primers and components back in the 90's during the "first" gulf war.

I saw primers going for 70 and 80 per 1000 and shops regulating how many you could buy. I also saw some of the local guys refuse to pay scalper prices to get primers in the shop. When they had them they were priced "ligit" and they did ask that you not buy them all, which I thought was common sense.

The outfits that "ripped" primer prices are now long gone! I never argued with them, I simply never bought and remembered who they were!

This time around is no different, just a different reason. If we all think about it and stop buying any of this high priced stuff for a few months, the "flippers" will think the market is flat and move on to something else!

They always do.

Yes this will be tough to do and some of us won't shoot as much as we'd like but we need to remember We are the Market! and as such our actions can have an impact on supply.

Ask yourself what you really need to shoot? Then grit your teeth and shoot some 22's for awhile, I see lots of those here in LA, or go shoot some shotgun, I still see lots of that on the shelves at Wal Mart.

Remember: when our shooting changes direction the market will change direction as well.

Even 22LR has been scarce if you don't want to pay Cabelas scalping prices of $20 a brick. Walmart has been cleaned out for quite some time.

I've only been shooting 22 and cast reloads for the 45. No CF rifle at all this year. I can't afford to replace it yet.