PDA

View Full Version : Primer and component solution?

TDC
04-16-2009, 03:26 PM
Ya know..... I think at this point we're all focusing on traditional marketing suppliers for components and not on finding other workable solutions to our shortage problems.

When we think about components we tend to think about buying from local gun shops or national distributors like Midway, Midsouth, etc. They're out of reliable supplies, folks, and not much "light at the end of the tunnel." Supplies continue to trickle in but we may be waiting for fully replenished supplies for perhaps as long as a year or more. It's time to get creative and start to think about other temporary methods..... like local trades?

As an example, many of us who are serious caster/re-loaders already have a large supply of one type of primer or another in our personal inventory. I have a large inventory of LP and SP primers in both mag and standard. I recently purchased a pistol that requires LR primers and those are items I'm extremely short on. In the current environment I'd never sell any of the primers I have but I would certainly trade those that I'm "heavy" with for those I have in very short supply.

I've tested my trade theory and found several serious local casting/re-loading people anxious and willing to trade primers on those terms. If serious re-loaders would look within their own shooting groups for solutions that would certainly help ease the immediate pressures on primer manufactures. It would also help foil the rampant hoarding that's currently disrupting critically short supplies. We would simply be exchanging like valued product for like valued product and not concern ourselves with the "scalpers market value" of components we actually need and use..

Anyone else been doing this or have ideas or suggestions beyond the "stand in line" or "wait and see" responses from our normal suppliers?

TC

jdgabbard
04-16-2009, 03:36 PM
Its a great idea...for a time when one will be trading ammo for food or vice versa. But I don't think it will really take off. As right now our hobby is something we like to do. Not something we need to do. And until we NEED to do it, we won't be pressured to look at helping each other obtain a common goal.

jonk
04-16-2009, 03:41 PM
Depends. I might swap some large rifle or small pistol for some small rifle, but I've got maybe 8000 primers total... enough for about 2 years of shooting at my rates. I want to BUY more not trade any.

Nor do I want to trade wheelweights for primers or lead- I want more of that too.

I never felt the need to hoard, I would just order 5k of each type to make hazmat and shipping worth it, and re-order when I got down to 1k or so of each type.

Not anymore.

I NOW feel the need to hoard- to have 5k of each type on HAND as my minimum.

Now if you are sitting on 100,000 primers then I'd say trading is a good idea, but I'm not giving up what I have- nor are any of my local shooting buddies! (I've asked)

TDC
04-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Now if you are sitting on 100,000 primers then I'd say trading is a good idea, but I'm not giving up what I have- nor are any of my local shooting buddies! (I've asked)

I think you guys may have missed my point... If you can't buy them anywhere and you need them now you may be able to trade for something you and they do need and not pay some radically inflated price.

I wouldn't sell any I have without a trade either...

azrednek
04-17-2009, 12:39 AM
I like TDC's suggestion and trading among other shooting hobbyists is a good idea. If I needed pistol primers I would certainly appreciate somebody doing a one for one swap for my rifle primers.