PDA

View Full Version : mowrey

onlylead
04-16-2009, 01:51 PM
any body have a 50 cal j.w.mowrey.i got 1 while back know nothing bout it

Maven
04-16-2009, 05:20 PM
I have one and can give you a bit of info. about it. They were originally made in TX, but are currently produced in IN. The quality of the TX-made ones is reportedly better than those made in IN and if mine is any example(made in IN), that's certainly true. In spite of some quality control problems, my rifle has nice wood and a very accurate 1" bbl. Using the correct round ball + patch, it will easily put 5 shots touching at 50 yds. from a rest with either Pyrodex or BP (and it isn't sensitive to powder granulation either). It's a well-balanced rifle for off-hand shooting too. Btw, the instructions for my Mowrey said to use a .495" RB, but I don't know whether this is the recommended size for the TX-made ones as well.

Boz330
04-17-2009, 09:14 AM
Maven, how long ago did you get yours? I've been wanting one for awhile but they were out of production because of last springs tornado which deroofed his shop.

Bob

Maven
04-17-2009, 01:19 PM
Bob, I got mine in the late 1980's or possibly 1991.

onlylead
04-17-2009, 03:22 PM
mine has brass forend semi schulichen brass buttpad

bojangles1938
06-19-2009, 12:08 PM
6/19/09 Hello gang; I bought a .50 ca. Mowrey over Gunbroker.Com and when it arrived via
USPS insured, it was broken at the frame and barrel connection point. Upon inspection I found
the barrel and frame caked with some kind of cementing compound, but no threads to twist
the barrel on or off, just nothing to hold the pieces together but the compound. What gives, I have seen several and the barrel always had a threading in it but didnt see the action to see
what attached to the threadings. Anybody here have one or more of these fine looking rifles, as they say, looks can be deceiving and I feel like I was uh, slickered. bo

Hang Fire
06-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Unless trhey have improved the mainsprings since the early 1970s, get yourself a couple of spares, and carry one with you when shooting.

Otherwise, a pretty accurate rifle.