PDA

View Full Version : Okay, this is a test

Ian Robertson
04-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Who can tell me what Monotype really is? Careful, I know the correct answer and I get tired of hearing the wrong one constantly here on this forum!

Bill*
04-15-2009, 09:39 PM
then why bring it up???

454PB
04-15-2009, 09:40 PM
Single block letters or figures......mono=one, type=typeform.

Heavy lead
04-15-2009, 09:43 PM
Who can tell me what Monotype really is? Careful, I know the correct answer and I get tired of hearing the wrong one constantly here on this forum!

Sounds like the way my wife phrases questions.

felix
04-15-2009, 09:44 PM
Any "metal" composition that can withstand so many "presses" without displaying any flare using selected "ink" and "paper" at the reading distance intended for the size of the "picture". That would be the final objective of the product which would produce the "print". The initial objective would be in constructing the product as easily as possible, such as its melting "melting" point and its solidification into final form. ... felix

waksupi
04-15-2009, 09:57 PM
Yeah, if you know the answer, why are you asking?

geargnasher
04-15-2009, 10:17 PM
[QUOTE=waksupi;547596]Yeah, if you know the answer, why are you asking?

Word.

Gear

Whitespider
04-15-2009, 10:22 PM
Hey, you asked for this...

Monotype Mon•o•type (mŏn'ə-tīp')
A trademark used for a typesetting machine operated from a keyboard that activates a unit that casts and sets individual characters.

Monotype Metal (′män•ə′tīp ′med•əl)
(metallurgy) A type metal typically composed of 76% lead, 16% antimony, and 8% tin, with good wear resistance and compressive strength.

Monotyping
Monotyping is a type of printmaking made by drawing or painting on a smooth, non-absorbent surface. The surface, or matrix, was historically a copper etching plate, but in contemporary work it can vary from zinc or glass to acrylic glass. The image is then transferred onto a sheet of paper by pressing the two together, usually using a printing-press. Monotypes can also be created by inking an entire surface and then, using brushes or rags, removing ink to create a subtractive image, e.g. creating lights from a field of opaque color. The inks used may be oil based or water based. With oil based inks, the paper may be dry, in which case the image has more contrast, or the paper may be damp, in which case the image has a 10 percent greater range of tones.

Unlike monoprinting, monotyping produces a unique print, or monotype, because most of the ink is removed during the initial pressing. Although subsequent reprintings are sometimes possible, they differ greatly from the first print and are generally considered inferior. A second print from the original plate is called a "ghost print" or "cognate". Stencils, watercolor, solvents, brushes, and other tools are often used to embellish a monotype print. Monotypes are often spontaneously executed and with no previous sketch.

The monotype process was invented by Giovanni Benedetto Castiglione (1609-64), an Italian painter and etcher who was also the first artist to produce brushed sketches intended as finished and final works of art (rather than as studies for another work). He is the only Italian to have invented a printmaking technique. He began to make monotypes in the 1640s, normally working from black to white, and produced over twenty surviving ones, over half of which are set at night (Theseus finding the Arms of his Father, 1643). Few other artists used the technique until Degas, who made several, often working on them further after printing (Beside the Sea, 1876-7). In the twentieth century the technique became more popular.

Monoprinting and monotyping are very similar. Both involve the transfer of ink from a plate to the paper, canvas, or other surface that will ultimately hold the work of art. In the case of monotyping the plate is a featureless plate. It contains no features that will impart any definition to successive prints. The most common feature would be the etched or engraved line on a metal plate. In the absence of any permanent features on the surface of the plate, all articulation of imagery is dependent on one unique inking, resulting in one unique print.

Monoprints, on the other hand, are the results of plates that have permanent features on them. Monoprints can be thought of as variations on a theme, with the theme resulting from some permanent features being found on the plate -- lines, textures -- that persist from print to print. Variations are confined to those resulting from how the plate is inked prior to each print. The variations are endless, but certain permanent features on the plate will tend to persist from one print to the next.

Dennis Eugene
04-15-2009, 10:27 PM
better yet who cares Dennis

SWIAFB
04-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Whitespider wins the prize, one box of loob grooves, e

carpetman
04-15-2009, 10:46 PM
Now this is a trick question that so far nobody has been keen enough to catch. The question is: Who can tell me what monotype really is? Not what is monotype? He goes on to answer his own question by stating he knows the correct answer*. So one answer is Ian Robertson if his integrity is any good---he said he knows. I suspect there are a multitude of people that know--so the list would be too exhaustive for this thread.
* This is not saying Ian Robertson has a clue about monotype--it is just saying he knows who does.

jdgabbard
04-15-2009, 11:44 PM
Its a lead alloy, a type of print, a method of printing, ect. Now for the next question, who would waist valuable bandwidth to ask such a stupid question???

After this we're going to be guessing what the 1% in 99% pure lead is. :killingpc

Slow Elk 45/70
04-16-2009, 12:29 AM
Har, Har, Nice Whitepider.[smilie=1: I guess Ian is bored ?:roll: Oh well I'm just reading anyway.:coffee:

beanflip
04-16-2009, 03:24 AM
Monotype is the single of the stereotype so if you have two monotypes you end up with one stereotype.:confused:

anachronism
04-16-2009, 08:28 AM
No, it's a half of a stereotype.

oldtoolsniper
04-16-2009, 09:10 AM
first it prints on paper then it punches holes in paper.

high standard 40
04-16-2009, 09:13 AM
Easy. Monotype is 1 type.

jonk
04-16-2009, 12:38 PM
A certain type of mononucleosis?

Ian Robertson
04-16-2009, 09:43 PM
Sorry, I forgot I posted this, getting old. Monotype is like the description posted.

After many years in the printing biz and bullet casting I have never seen any monotype. I have seen lots of foundry type. They are not the same. Monotype is pretty much the same as lino and foundry is MUCH harder as intended to be hand set and then after use put back in the case for future use. Monotype comes out of a casting machine as set and after use is melted to make new ingots, again the same as lino. I think what many see as mono is really foundry.

I do have a book form the US Printing Bureau that lists the composition of the common alloys like lino and mono and foundry. Apparently they did vary a bit between big users like newspapers. Of course this is all very old stuff and what you see is what you get. I guess I am a bit fixated on terminology. Kind of like calling a boolit a "head".

I can find, scan and post the alloy parts from that book if anyone is interested.

Orygun
04-16-2009, 10:16 PM
I can find, scan and post the alloy parts from that book if anyone is interested.

Sure...if it's not a big hassle, I'd like to read it.

454PB
04-16-2009, 10:57 PM
OK Ian, here you go. The block letters are monotype, the strips are linotype.

By the way, I did a hardness test on these monotype blocks, and they are 28 BHN. Foundry type would be much harder.

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1578&d=1149353294

1Shirt
04-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Old Yankee sayin; "taint no such thing as a stupid question if ya don't know the answer, but there are sure a lot of dumb answers". I learn a lot from this forum, not necessarily anything I need for the most part. But I sure learn a few things that come in very handy that I didn't know befor I read them. I learn from Beagle, Ben, Junior, Felix, and quite a few others. Another old Yankee sayin: "Any day ya don't learn somethin new is a day wasted!". There is a lot of common sense based on experiance on castboolits, and seldom does a day go by when I am on line with it that I don't learn something.
1Shirt!:coffee: