PDA

View Full Version : Is Lyman Behine

smokemjoe
04-15-2009, 08:00 PM
Friend in Austrial, CBE- said Lee was unable to give him a time on his order for a long time, He now needs items from Lyman and wanted to know how they stand on back orders, Anyone know, Thanks- JOe

Tom Herman
04-15-2009, 10:05 PM
Friend in Austrial, CBE- said Lee was unable to give him a time on his order for a long time, He now needs items from Lyman and wanted to know how they stand on back orders, Anyone know, Thanks- JOe

Hi Joe,

I think that anything that can be useful is in demand and relatively Unobtanium right now.... I suspect lee and Lyman and the other big manufacturers are doing all they can to keep up with demand.
I ordered a Lyman 358429 four cavity .38/.357 bullet mold back in January. It was backordered and the date kept on coming and going and getting revised. I finally found it somewhere else, and cancelled my order with that supplier.
It will be about three months from the time I first ordered it until it shows up here.
Forget the four cavity handles! I'll just pull them off a mold I'm not going to use immediately.
Hopefully your buddy will get his stuff as the manufacturers catch up.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

j23
04-15-2009, 10:17 PM
Wow Tom, sounds like a Midway trick to me... 03.11.2009, oh no wait, 03.26.2009; nope, lets try... yeah, Midway. Just tell me its out of stock and on backorder.. I honestly believe they pull those times out of their rump.

I can understand primers, powder, brass being behind... and even reloading equipment... but honestly, I find it hard to believe people are buying up molds in those kinds of numbers...

Ken 45LC
04-15-2009, 10:33 PM
J23,
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one fed up with the Midway expected date. Last year I was keeping watch on some mags I needed, for over a month they just kept bumping the expected date up one day every day. I finally called them and asked what the heck is going on, and asked them why they would do that if they had no clue. If they don't know then for goodness sake just say so, don't keep leading people on. I'd understand, and have respect for people who tell me the truth. But giving me some BS answer only adds to my frustration, and then makes me leery of that company.

Bottom line, never trust the date Midway expects to have an item back in inventory.

Ken

j23
04-15-2009, 11:16 PM
Geez Ken, thanks... I was waiting on the flamethrower from everyone...:Fire:

Ill be totally honest here, and quite blunt if no one minds... I hate Midway.:???: I hate their outragious shipping/handling charges, minimum order charges, BS in stock dates, high prices and quite frankly, even before the Obama gun buyer's stimulus election, they are CONSTANTLy out of freaking everything. EVERYTHING.

The most outragous of their stupidity is putting out a sales flyer... with mediocre deals, then when you check the item online, it is *unavailable-no backorder*

No wonder its on sale.

fireaway329
04-15-2009, 11:22 PM
On the midway note i have always had real good luck with them always got my order on time.
but i don't do many back orders though i just look at about fifteen different sight and order what in stock these day because every backorder i place never makes it.

blueline541
04-16-2009, 12:39 AM
The only thing standing between me and the opportunity to cast my very first bullet is a lack of Lyman four cavity handles. And they are.....you guessed right....on backorder. But they did manage to send my moulds.

On a side note a good friend gave me a Lee six cavity mould this week. I got all excited until he informed me he didn't have handles to go with the mould. They're on backorder as well. It's funny, but it hurts, too.

Echo
04-16-2009, 01:54 AM
BL541, order from RedRiverRick, on this forum. He makes OUTSTANDING handles, and the cost is more than competitive. I'm sure others will support me on this. I have a set, and when I need another set, I will order from him.

dromia
04-16-2009, 02:34 AM
BL541, order from RedRiverRick, on this forum. He makes OUTSTANDING handles, and the cost is more than competitive. I'm sure others will support me on this. I have a set, and when I need another set, I will order from him.

I concur.

Wayne Smith
04-16-2009, 08:02 AM
I concur with both the quality and the fact I will order from him first when I need some.

Tom Herman
04-16-2009, 08:44 AM
Wow Tom, sounds like a Midway trick to me... 03.11.2009, oh no wait, 03.26.2009; nope, lets try... yeah, Midway. Just tell me its out of stock and on backorder.. I honestly believe they pull those times out of their rump.

I can understand primers, powder, brass being behind... and even reloading equipment... but honestly, I find it hard to believe people are buying up molds in those kinds of numbers...

I can understand that everyone is behind right now, but what really ticked me off is the way the handled my last order: I needed the Lyman 358429 mold and the handles, and I fell for the trick and bought the discounted electronic calipers.
They had the calipers in stock, and immediately shipped them. The shipping ate up the alleged discount!
Then they backordered the molds and handles...
So, Midway partials out orders and runs up the shipping... fast forward almost two and a half months, I'm browsing the Midway site, and lo and behold! I spot the mold I want, in stock, but they didn't ship it to me! A couple of days later, it's out of stock again! What the heck gives?!?
I really need that mold, now I'm VERY dissatisfied! I will write Larry Potter a letter on this.
Fortunately, one of the guys here found them in stock somewhere else, and tipped me off, so I have one on the way and cancelled the Midway order. And that mold was the same price delivered as the Midway mold was without shipping...
The way they bungled the order has me furious...

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Tom Herman
04-16-2009, 08:48 AM
The only thing standing between me and the opportunity to cast my very first bullet is a lack of Lyman four cavity handles. And they are.....you guessed right....on backorder. But they did manage to send my moulds.

On a side note a good friend gave me a Lee six cavity mould this week. I got all excited until he informed me he didn't have handles to go with the mould. They're on backorder as well. It's funny, but it hurts, too.

I wish you luck, and hope that you bag a couple sets of handles. I'm taking the handles off a set of molds I am not using to get going on some of my casting... Whenever they become available again, I'll buy another set or two.. Or maybe I'll need more by then...

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

TAWILDCATT
04-17-2009, 12:53 PM
I have an order in every thing is back ordered.I am patient,but hungery for them
aparently some of you cant conceave of the masive buying that gun owners are in.
Lee makes 150 press of one kind a day and has orders for 2000.
winchester makes 1,600,000 45 acp a day and is backed ordered for 200,000,000
any wonder the "ones" groupies are nervous.
we will just have to wait it out.I have been around longer than any of you and I can wait,and I have seen a lot worse than this.:coffee:[smilie=1:

Tom Herman
04-17-2009, 01:03 PM
I have been around longer than any of you and I can wait,and I have seen a lot worse than this.:coffee:[smilie=1:

I always appreciate your postings! Please tell us about when things were worse, and what people did to made do, shooting wise.
Many Thanks, and I'm looking forward to your stories.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Echo
04-18-2009, 03:21 AM
I remember reading about reloading in Tibet (IIRC) way back when. The problem was there was no powder available - none! What to do? They had a large supply of old nitrate-based movie film. They treated it with some chemical (camphor?) to get rid of some component in the film, then grated it down. They sieved it, sorting the gratings into pistol powder, shotgun powder, and rifle powder. They cast their boolits, and made shot by dribbling lead onto a flat steel plate and letting the splattered balls roll off into water or something. They later sorted the shot into bird-shot and goose-shot. I believe they had primers, but they also reloaded the primers.

I believe I read this in a Gun Digest back in the '50's. CRS, so may have some of this a bit wrong...

Where there's a will...

TAWILDCATT
04-18-2009, 09:08 AM
I dont know about tibet but the afganistan shooters picked up british shells and decaped and took fired primers and fixed the firing pin mark and loaded the primers and cut up celuloid for powder and the bullets were spent bullets.and the fought the british with these.
I started of with winchester tong tool and mold for a 32/20 win 73.still have the
tool and mold.the 73 was not given to me but the tools were.there was no one to teach me and I did not know about any tools but the win and Ideal.in 1944/5
I got a modern bond tool and molds.and pacific measure.I still have all but the tool but thanks to two collecters I have replaced the MB tool.I bought a 73 win in Burmingham AL in 1945 for $5.00 and a Colt lightning 38 for $3.00.the win got stolen in the 60s.I had a pocket colt 32 from an antique dealer for $8.00 in 1937.
police had 38 S&W H&R revolvers before WW2.plenty of P38 and Lugers for $20.
after WW2.one of my friends brothers brought a jap machingun home and we fired it on the revere saugus marsh.the nabors complained about the noise so the police came and took it and welded it up and gave it back.try that now.
:coffee:[smilie=1: