PDA

View Full Version : Smokemjoe's bump die and my K-31

Maven
04-15-2009, 05:04 PM
If you have a K-31, you know what a chore it is to seat, let alone chamber, long, heavy CB's. E.g., the longest I could seat my 195gr. Ly. #311644 was 2.78" and even then I sometimes had to wrap the bolt handle sharply to get the action to go into battery. As you no doubt also discovered, many of the CB designs that do well in the .30-06 (and I suppose the .308Win.) are potentially accurate in the K-31 as well; i.e., if you can get them to fit the almost non-existent throat. I have two such candidates: the Saeco RG-4/#301 and the CBE #313-185 @ 195grs. and 185grs., respectively. Trust me, there's no way they'd fit either one of my rifles. When Smokemjoe offered to make a bump die tailored to the K-31's dimensions, I jumped at the chance to order one. Today I had a chance to test the bumped CB's. First, both were seated "long" compared to other CB's I've tried: 2.90" for the RG-4 (could even go a bit longer) and 2.85" for the CBE, a shorter bullet (could go longer here as well). I.e., neither was below the neck/shoulder junction and they chambered very easily. The load was 20.6grs. WC 820 (thrown) over CCI #34 primers (You remember what primers are, don't you?). Here are the targets, which I fired @ 50 yds. in order to test the potential accuracy of the bumped CB's rather than my eyesight. 10 shots were fired at each target, with an obvious flyer doubling the group size for the RG-4. The CBE's shot almost as well, but I'll retest them again soon. Btw, the grid on the target is 1" x 1". As you can see, the bumped CB's performed extremely well thanks to Joe's workmanship!