PDA

View Full Version : .32 H&R Mag loads with .314 x 120 Group Buy

Dale53
02-18-2006, 06:51 PM
I have kind of double posted this but want to be sure that it does not get lost.
I have recently received one of the Group Buy .314 x 120 bullet moulds for the .32 mag, or... The mould works VERY well. There were a couple of minor nits that righted themselves (with a bit of help) but the mould is working quite well. The bullets drop well and look GOOD. In my alloy, they mic at .315 and are reasonably round. I couldn't have designed a better bullet, myself.

I have been thru all of my books and searched online and cannot find any data for this heavy bullet in the .32 mag. If any of you have some experience with this, I would appreciate the help. I tried the "Search" function on here with no luck. I can work up a load from scratch, but would rather not if there is some data out there. I normally use a chronograph to help but unfortunately, a careless smoker set our target and equipment shed afire and burned it to the ground (chronograph and Ransom Rest with it [smilie=b: ).

Dale53

9.3X62AL
02-18-2006, 07:32 PM
I was a little hesitant to offer up my recipes initially, since there is ZERO data out there for the 115-120 grain boolits in ths caliber. Frankly, I've had better results with the 90-100 grainers--these require no extrapolation, and shoot VERY well at a variety of intensities fueled by a variety of powders--from Bullseye through 2400.

I don't have the group buy 120 grainer you speak of--my mold is a MMSFT (Mountain Mold Short Fat Thirty) that is a round flat nose--sort of a bore-rider with .311" nose portion and .315" drive bands, plain-based and weight of 118 grains in Taracorp alloy. It was INSTANTLY accurate in 32-20 revolvers, not a thing seen in many shooters' lifetimes--so I thought, what the hey, try it in the 32 Magnum.

Unimpressive, generally speaking. Groups and hit rates were about half as good as with the lighter SWC's, so I basically wrote the matter off--happy with the good work done by the 32-20's.

I re-visited the idea a couple months ago, and tried slower powders than the "usual suspects" in 32 Magnum. I found success with 6.5 grains of 2400, ignited with CCI-550 primers. I had run lots of 25 rounds, starting with 6.0 grains and kicking it up in 0.2 grain increments using WSP and CCI-550 primers, running the powder weights to 7.0 grains. Extraction started getting sticky at 6.8 grains, but accuracy remained constant to 7.0 grains. Primer type seemed to favor the CCI Magnums, but this wasn't a big difference--both primers gave sticky extraction at 6.8 grains, and it didn't occur before that point--and I brushed out the chambers after each lot was fired. I settled on the 6.5 grain powder weight and the CCI-550's as the best balance of accuracy, pressure, and cleanliness. There's not much debris. These heavier boolits DEFINITELY want to be kicked harder and sized fatter (.314") to achieve accuracy, in my experience.

I still think the 90-100 grainers are a lot more user-friendly in this caliber, but there is some usefulness for the heavier boolits. I should add that the platform used was a S&W Model 16-4 x 6", one of the stronger variants in this caliber. I would be hesitant to try these loads in either a Ruger SSM or J-frame S&W. One of the SP-101's would be a VERY tempting acquisition, owing to its strength and compactness.

Dale53
02-19-2006, 01:22 AM
Deputy Al;
Thanks for the information. I know you were hesitant to recommend something that has not been pressure tested. These small cases can grow BIG pressures in a heartbeat. I will probably only shoot the .314x120 in my 16-4, 6" and my TC with the JDJ "correct" size barrel.

I think that I'll keep the wadcutters in the J-frame. :razz:

For some strange reason the .32 H&R is my favorite handgun caliber. I have shot mine thousands of rounds but, frankly, most have been with wadcutter target loads. I have bigger guns that I use if I need them for "serious" purposes. ;-) Once in a while I go bunny hunting with a handgun and the .32 is a great caliber for that purpose. Occasionally, I run into a coyote and it would be nice to have something a little more potent than a wadcutter at target velocity :-)

Dale53

Bret4207
02-19-2006, 08:56 AM
I'm with Dale. I think the 32 cal steekin peestol cartridges are just swell. I shoot the 32 S+W, 32 S+W Long, 32 Mag and 32 WCF. Have a Colt Army Special in 32 WCF, an old 6" IJ 32 Long, 9.5" (!!) Ruger 32 Mag and a few single shot rifles and lever guns in 32 too. Hope one day to either find or make up a M-16 and a Kit gun in 32. What a great all around woods cartridge.

9.3X62AL
02-19-2006, 12:45 PM
Dale/Bret--

It's good to know I'm not the only mid-caliber handgun nutcase on the board.

I have a Colt Pocket Positive x 6"/nickel for the 32 SWL, and a group of 30 Mauser/7.62 Tokarev bottom-feeders. A couple 32 ACP's help round out the self-loader contingent, and a Ruger P-89C with 30 Luger swap barrel gets some range time with 9mm recoil spring in place--HIJO LA, MUI RAPIDO!

All of these calibers are natural-born small game getters, but only one coyote has fallen at their bark--that was with the Broomhandle Mauser and Hornady 86 grain SP's at 1300 FPS or so, and the critter keeled right over, maybe 40 yards away. He didn't want to part company from a jackrabbit we had left in our wake earlier that day, and stopped to re-adjust his grip on the carcass--Greed Costs Ya.

I think the 32 Magnum at upper-end velocities (1000 FPS+) with the 90-100 grain SWC's would be fine for coyotes to 50 yards. I like Dale's rationale for the heavier boolits for that application--once the things started shooting decently, anyway.

On jackrabbits, once the cast SWC's exceed impact velocities of 1000 FPS, the end results go from "gentle repose" to "ballistic vivisection" pretty reliably. 1200+ velocities start scattering the contents a bit--so, if small game for the stove and oven is intended, run the boolits around 850-900 FPS--lots less graphic, let's just say.

Dale53
02-19-2006, 06:24 PM
I am a little gun shy trying to work up a load without the Chrono (spoiled, you know :) . I would think that a feller could get the 120 up to 1200 fps in a 16-4 or a TC contender. I think that I'll start out with the contender and see how that works. It has a bit more safety "cushion" than the 16-4 S&W. Since Lyman has had the heavier 32/20 bullets available for years, I am surprised that more people haven't been working with the heavier bullets in the .32 H&R....

Dale53

9.3X62AL
02-19-2006, 06:51 PM
Dale--

I tend to not mess with success. The 90-100 grainers did good work in the 32 Mag, so I just left well enough alone. These same boolit weights did good work in the 32-20 revolvers, too--so for 20 years or so I just kept things running with the lighter boolits. Retirement enabled more time for experimentation, maybe that's what prompted the move.

The 32 revolvers are the reason I started casting in the first place. No component boolits/bullets were available in the late 70's/early 80's, so I started casting to fill that need. 38's and 45's soon followed, and off it went from there.

Slowpoke
02-19-2006, 09:54 PM
I have kind of double posted this but want to be sure that it does not get lost.
I have recently received one of the Group Buy .314 x 120 bullet moulds for the .32 mag, or... The mould works VERY well. There were a couple of minor nits that righted themselves (with a bit of help) but the mould is working quite well. The bullets drop well and look GOOD. In my alloy, they mic at .315 and are reasonably round. I couldn't have designed a better bullet, myself.

I have been thru all of my books and searched online and cannot find any data for this heavy bullet in the .32 mag. If any of you have some experience with this, I would appreciate the help. I tried the "Search" function on here with no luck. I can work up a load from scratch, but would rather not if there is some data out there. I normally use a chronograph to help but unfortunately, a careless smoker set our target and equipment shed afire and burned it to the ground (chronograph and Ransom Rest with it [smilie=b: ).

Dale53

CE Harris has a article in the Fowling shot # 170 that deals with 120 gr. cast bullets in the 32 SW long, I would think those loads would be a good starting point for your 32 Mag.

Good luck

Dale53
02-20-2006, 02:20 AM
Slowpoke;
Thanks. I'll try to get a copy. I belong to the Cast Bullet Ass'n but I am not sure I have that issue.

Thanks, again,
Dale53

Slowpoke
02-20-2006, 11:40 AM
Slowpoke;
Thanks. I'll try to get a copy. I belong to the Cast Bullet Ass'n but I am not sure I have that issue.

Thanks, again,
Dale53

Here is the article ,I just found it on line ----http://guns.connect.fi/gow/ed.html

Dale53
02-20-2006, 11:08 PM
Slowpoke;
Thanks for the information. I think that will prove helpful.

I read on down and was saddened to see that Ed has been disallusioned by shooters and the industry. He comes across like an embittered old man. I hold his written work in the highest regard. Lord, I even heard that he has taken up GOLF!! :veryconfu

Well, I hope things get better for him in the future. A good part of what he says has more than a little truth in it, but a feller must NOT get discouraged.

Dale53

Four Fingers of Death
02-21-2006, 02:18 AM
My friend has one of these and it has four Bbls, 22, 22 short, 10" 22 (Silly wet) and 32 S&W.

I am trying to buy it off him, but he said a young guy could have it a few years ago (for peanuts) but the young guy can't get the money together.

Does this thing shoot? Incredible groups! Bit nose heavy as the mag is in front of the trigger guard, but awesomely accurate!

I've always fancied one of those old S&W 32s. Nice old gun. I have an old K38 which I have converted to SA, that will have to do me. One day one will pop up.

Dutch4122
02-21-2006, 10:04 PM
Just out of curiosity I was wondering if anybody has tried the Lee Soupcan in a .32 H&R Magnum? Or does the standard Lee 2 cavity mould drop them too small for this application?

Reason I ask is I have a Soupcan II custom 6 cavity ordered through bdoyle (spec'd to drop .314") that I might want to try in the Marlin 1894 Ltd .32 Magnum I just put in layaway today.

nighthunter
03-18-2006, 04:57 PM
I've been shooting this boolit in my .30 Carbine Blackhawk for a few weeks now and I am quite impressed with its accuracy potential. I have used 11.5 gr. WC 820(N) and today 10.5 gr 2400. Boolit sized to .309. Both shoot to the same point of impact and with zero leading in my Blackhawk. I think I can make do with this boolit.
Nighthunter